SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 28th August 2011, 12:52

Default If you could go to sleep and never wake up, would you?

Just curious.

Personally, sometimes I have days when I wish I could. I'm not suicidal (though have been there in the past) and this isn't really supposed to be a discussion about suicide - just wondering how many people have ever wanted the ability to just cease to exist essentially.
Old 28th August 2011, 13:26

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: If you could go to sleep and never wake up, would you?

Im not suicidal either, but sometimes there is this part of me that just thinks maybe its best for everyone if i wasn't here anymore.
Old 28th August 2011, 13:52

Mood
Spaced

X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1987
Im not suicidal either, but sometimes there is this part of me that just thinks maybe its best for everyone if i wasn't here anymore.
I know you mean i feel like such a drain on the ppl that help me thay are
days were like with out me thay could have a normal life
Old 28th August 2011, 14:04

Mood
Happy

I have felt like all the previous posts loads of times but currently have a number of positives in my life so that I actually look forward to each day !
Old 28th August 2011, 14:06
Banned at own request

No, I have a strong desire to exist for as long as possible
Old 28th August 2011, 14:28

Yes.
Old 28th August 2011, 14:44

Mood
Dreaming

lets say, I would like the option
Old 28th August 2011, 14:51

Mood
Mellow

I remember when I was a kid and being bullied at boarding school, I used "pray" and fantasize about not waking up.
Old 28th August 2011, 14:55

Mood
Tired

I find these kinds of questions interesting,...
it assumes we've come to the end of our tether due to SA, depressiom, low self-esteem, stress, anxiety etc. and would much rather not even exist than have to deal with all the emotional, psycholgical and physical turmoil, stress, confusion and angst involved in getting through the trials of each day.

if that IS the case,.. dosen't that necessarilly imply that we will now feel that we must do ANYTHING to get better,...

resulting question :.. do we ?

I'm not sure that I push myself as hard as I could, or that I do absolutely everything I can to get better,.. it's kind of like a passive crisis,
though I'm not sure I'd like to get to such a state of crisis that I'd do ANYTHING to improve my SA,.. I can almost imagine that state,.. and I'm wondering if the emotional chaos, and fall-out from that would'nt be too damaging in itself to live with it ?
do we keep that mental and emotional chaos at arms-length,.. deliberately avoiding it, for the sake of our own mental health ?
or would accepting just how bad a state you are in be the first step to getting out of it ?
Old 28th August 2011, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoyne
it assumes we've come to the end of our tether due to SA, depressiom, low self-esteem, stress, anxiety etc. and would much rather not even exist than have to deal with all the emotional, psycholgical and physical turmoil, stress, confusion and angst involved in getting through the trials of each day.

if that IS the case,.. dosen't that necessarilly imply that we will now feel that we must do ANYTHING to get better,...

resulting question :.. do we ?

I'm not sure that I push myself as hard as I could, or that I do absolutely everything I can to get better,.. it's kind of like a passive crisis,
though I'm not sure I'd like to get to such a state of crisis that I'd do ANYTHING to improve my SA,.. I can almost imagine that state,.. and I'm wondering if the emotional chaos, and fall-out from that would'nt be too damaging in itself to live with it ?
do we keep that mental and emotional chaos at arms-length,.. deliberately avoiding it, for the sake of our own mental health ?
or would accepting just how bad a state you are in be the first step to getting out of it ?
Good points all round.
Old 28th August 2011, 15:27

Mood
Musical

A few years ago when i was in a very bad place i would of said yes but now even though my life is slightly better i would say no now i still have alot to do and explore in this life...
Old 28th August 2011, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoyne

I think for some of us those things (especially depression) just mean that we are past caring and past the point of doing much to get better.
Old 28th August 2011, 16:45

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrrrrp
No, I have a strong desire to exist for as long as possible
^
Old 28th August 2011, 16:51

Mood
Alienated

im waiting for the drugs and whatnot to live for hundreds of years!

my life has been quite a boring uneventful thing..id like to do more and change...it would be a waste if i buggered off forever at my current stage!

so no..i wouldnt
Old 28th August 2011, 16:51

Mood
Balanced

Exclamation Re: If you could go to sleep and never wake up, would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory
Yes.
^This.

If only to cut down on laundry bills.
Old 28th August 2011, 16:57

Mood
Insomnious

I'd have to say "no", but I would prefer to have never been born.
Old 28th August 2011, 19:43

Mood
Sad

I've gone to bed far too many times wishing and praying that I wouldn't wake up the next day. I've never said that to anyone before and now I've written it down it sounds really selfish and cowardly.

I'd say I have been improving though and I still think things are going to get better so hopefully this is something I'm going to leave behind in the past.
Old 28th August 2011, 21:18

Mood
Tired

I don't believe that anybody who's said 'yes' actually means it. I mean if you really want to go to sleep and never wake up all you have to do is take an overdose of paracetamol or something, it's really not that difficult.
Old 28th August 2011, 21:22

Not right now, but it would be nice to have the option down the line.
Old 28th August 2011, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr~Spaceman
I mean if you really want to go to sleep and never wake up all you have to do is take an overdose of paracetamol or something, it's really not that difficult.
It doesn't work like that though does it? Chances are that way you just end up very ill for the rest of your life instead.
Old 28th August 2011, 21:55

No, that's actually been an irrational fear of mine. I sometimes go to bed afraid I'll never wake up again and find it really hard to get to sleep because of it.
Old 28th August 2011, 21:57

I disagree. It's well documented that many people contemplating "suicide" don't go through with it as despite their desire they don't actually want to subject themselves to further pain via some physical act of selfdestruction. I for one fit this idea as I don't wish to destroy myself in a dramatic, painful or traumatic act but would quite happily opt for a simple off switch.
Quote:
I don't believe that anybody who's said 'yes' actually means it. I mean if you really want to go to sleep and never wake up all you have to do is take an overdose of paracetamol or something, it's really not that difficult.
Old 28th August 2011, 22:04

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
I know it's just a fleeting suggestion but paracetamol overdosing is a horrible way to die, if it works. I was just thinking that people often kill themselves in the most horrendous ways possible. I always wondered why this was? Wouldn't you just go for something painless?
Old 28th August 2011, 22:11

On and off - I go through phases of feeling this way. At the moment I feel there's still too much to do before I pop my clogs. I wouldn't mind the option though - I think the nicest way to go must be in your sleep. I also wish I'd never been born, at least not in the family I was born into, because it's the reason I'm so f*d up. I strongly believe in rebirth, so hope that next time round I'll be born to loving parents.
Old 28th August 2011, 22:52

^ Yeh I've always thought that too - I've never thought of suicide as cowardly but more an act of desperation that requires a hell of a lot of guts to do. I don't have the courage to do it even though I've fantasised about it in the past.
Old 28th August 2011, 23:46

I've sometimes felt like this. Sometimes I still do. But I'd much rather get better and fix the things that are wrong in my life. Maybe I will manage that. I'm making progress for now at least.

But maybe I won't, in which case yes, I'd rather stop existing. But for now I still have time to get things sorted. If I stop now then I'll never get to be happy. I've waited this bloody long; it'd be a shame to give up now.

(I may be falling for a sunk-cost fallacy there, but never mind.)
Old 29th August 2011, 02:24

Mood
Musical

I'm sorry to say this but I reaally hate these posts. They just create negative thought.
Old 29th August 2011, 04:43

No, I want to live.
Old 29th August 2011, 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.person
I'm sorry to say this but I reaally hate these posts. They just create negative thought.
I know what you mean but sometimes people just need to vent. It's not possible to be positive all the time, though it's good to have a balance and not be negative all the time either! That said, I'd say venting can actually be positive sometimes if it helps to relieve pent-up angst and get things off your chest. I have no problem admitting that I have times in my life where I wish I wouldn't wake up, but it doesn't mean I'm suicidal oddly enough, but more that I get tired of life sometimes, and who wouldn't too if they found interacting with people (something you can't get away from) very stressful. If I couldn't get things off my chest sometimes even if it's negative I think I'd go mad.
Old 29th August 2011, 11:29

No, I prefer existing thank you very much.
Closed Thread