SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 9th October 2010, 20:43

Default Self hatred

Is it possible to get over self hatred when society hates you ?
Old 9th October 2010, 21:50
Banned (at own request)

Default Re: Self hatred

Society might not hate you . Not trying to be patronising but maybe you just think they do?

i hate myself but iv every right to. i'm a bad person
Old 10th October 2010, 00:07

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnet
Is it possible to get over self hatred when society hates you ?
I don't see how society can really hate any individual. Society doesn't know us. Society does not share one collective opinion either. As far as I can see, very few people know us enough to even form an opinion of us. 99.9% of society don't even know we exist, let alone know us enough to hate us.
Old 10th October 2010, 00:59

Mood
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luco
I use to think like this.

What i've learned is i hate myself more than society does. Learning to like myself seems to be the goal for me. The more you learn to love yourself, the more you will see how crazy society is
Whether a society hates you or not is not something a single person, but only God could know.
Old 10th October 2010, 01:09

What do you or anyone else have to gain by hating yourself though?
Old 10th October 2010, 01:56
Banned (at own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmer
What do you or anyone else have to gain by hating yourself though?
Nothing. We dont do it on purpose. its like a natural thing . Nothing to gain . Only lose really
Old 10th October 2010, 02:14

I agree partly with Luco partly with Karl 31. It may be that you have formed a negative picture of yourself based on your interpretation of how others view or think of you. But whether other people like you or not doesn't address the core issue of self hatred. Self esteem does not depend on seeking validation from others. It is learning to like yourself independently of other people's opinions. It is also difficult to be universally hated by everyone. Some people will like you, some wont. Also people's opinions are fickle and can change from one moment to the next. You see the problems of basing your self-esteem on anything external to yourself? It is contradictory!
Old 10th October 2010, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Self esteem does not depend on seeking validation from others. It is learning to like yourself independently of other people's opinions.
What if your an incompetent person. Should you still give yourself validation and pride? You can have too much self confidence and pride sometimes, so whats the right balance.

Even if you are incompetent though I don't see that as grounds for self hate personally. Everyone has limitations, so I guess its about accepting them without letting it get to you.
Old 10th October 2010, 15:47
Banned (at own request)

I don't hate me, I just don't like me very much anymore. 35 years is a long time stuck with me.
Old 10th October 2010, 15:50

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig75
I don't hate me, I just don't like me very much anymore. 35 years is a long time stuck with me.
Try 41. I know what you mean i'm am sick of myself and need a holiday from"me". I don't even recognise my own reflection when i'm unfortunate enough to actually see "it"
Old 10th October 2010, 15:58
Banned (at own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuffie
Try 41. I know what you mean i'm am sick of myself and need a holiday from"me". I don't even recognise my own reflection when i'm unfortunate enough to actually see "it"
ain't we a sad pair?
Old 10th October 2010, 16:03
Banned

Mood
Alienated

LOl, the amount of times i've spent staring in the mirror to insure i look 'normal' before stepping outside are uncountable.

I think the majority of us here hate ourselves - always one step away from suicide but too cowardly even for that.
Old 10th October 2010, 16:05

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig75
ain't we a sad pair?
Yes, yes we are
Old 10th October 2010, 16:19

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAlone

I think the majority of us here hate ourselves - always one step away from suicide but too cowardly even for that.
Yep, and feeling like a coward is just more ammo I have against me and around we go again weeeeeee.
Old 10th October 2010, 22:28

I think it's hard to get over self hatred - I think you first need acceptance from other people before you can like yourself to some degree. It's hard to like yourself when everybody else always seems so much popular and accepted than yourself.
I also find that even if I do managed to barely accept myself, somebody will give ,me a filthy look or blank me and it all gets wiped out.
Old 10th October 2010, 23:22

Mood
Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop
I think it's hard to get over self hatred - I think you first need acceptance from other people before you can like yourself to some degree.
I also think this, and i can't have any of that, so i stay the way i am.
Old 11th October 2010, 16:59

Mood
Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmer
What if your an incompetent person. Should you still give yourself validation and pride? You can have too much self confidence and pride sometimes, so whats the right balance.

Even if you are incompetent though I don't see that as grounds for self hate personally. Everyone has limitations, so I guess its about accepting them without letting it get to you.

Exactly. the only reason anyone might be criticised is if theyre not trying as hard as they can. failure or lack of ability should not be critcised or "hated" as youre not deliberately doing it. Self critism is intended to "boot you into action" . Ironically it has the opposite affect of paralysing you because obviously its not worth a "stupid" person even trying!
Closed Thread