Getting worse 88 16.21%
Still the same 105 19.34%
Making slow progress 258 47.51%
Making big progress 72 13.26%
Pretty much cured/ completly cured 20 3.68%
Voters: 543. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st April 2010, 12:12

Default Re: Where are you in your recovery?

I would say its still the same. I have been the same with it for a couple of years now but I suppose it had gotten better since I met my boyfriend. I suppose I could say I am making slow progress maybe. Some days are better than other days though, so one day I feel I'm getting better and the next I'm totally depressed about it all.
Old 1st April 2010, 15:56

Mood
Sluggish

Very little if any progress. I'm getting increasingly resigned to a state of having my life completely dominated by SA.
Old 1st April 2010, 17:04

Mood
Alienated

I voted "still the same" though I'm also getting worse in some ways.
Old 5th April 2010, 18:09

hm quite possibly worse. I joined an environment where a combination of excess working on my own, and working with people whose kind of stress strategy is badmouthing people- but being sincere the next minute. My massive mistake has been numerous, but staying there as I'm a stubborn limpet and not trying to move to another environment much sooner has probably had some negative consequences (esp. in terms of sa stuff, and ocd). Biggest challenge is now trying to find something else, and being positive.
Old 5th April 2010, 21:10

Mood
Mellow

I'm always up and down. Joined in 2006, so obviously it was bugging me then, so I guess over the past four years I have had big up points, then some big down ones too.
Old 5th April 2010, 21:31

I was making progress but have hit an abrupt standstill past few months and must be careful I don't fall back into my old ways.
Old 30th April 2010, 01:26

Mood
Breezy

Hang in there everyone. I never thought I was gonna get better and I am feeling really good now. If you have not tried cbt I would highly recommend giving it a try. I still use my TEA forms and they are amazing at keeping you in the moment and out of your heads eliminating most of mn anxiety
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:03

Mood
Cheeky

Great advice Mayo. I have used the TEA forms for years now and they are so helpful in keeping my anxiety under control. I probably don't need to keep doing them my thinking has transformed so much but I do just to be safe
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:21

I voted 'getting worse' originally, as I certainly was earlier this year. But over the last month or so, I feel I've seen certain small improvements, and my motivation has increased a little. I think being on this site has helped. Reading certain posts and threads which have given me ideas and motivation. I am now more determined to concentrate upon beating SA than I have ever been before in my life.
Old 6th June 2010, 22:32

Mood
Cheeky

Good for you xyz
Old 6th June 2010, 22:54

Recovery?!? ... I'm still on the way down! It's surprising how many times you can think you've hit rock bottom and then suddenly fall another level down!
Old 7th June 2010, 17:51

Mood
Sad

Gone backwards and on a bit of a downer at the moment but clawing my way back slowly but surely.
Old 7th June 2010, 18:17

I'm at the stage where I really want to meet some people and make friends, but don't have a clue how.
Old 7th June 2010, 23:46

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivePoemsbyme
When thinking back when I first struggled with it I know I am getting better but still making slow progress. I have a therapist to talk to about my SA, GAD, and depression. I have my friend peter john who I talk to on here daily. He is a huge inspiration to me. It story of how he was isolated for 16 months and then for 3 months now has a social life shows to me that it is possible to beat these disorders and that you if you have support and keep an open mind that anything is possible just keep moving forward. I am getting better at trying to think positive. I have moments where I would have repetitive thoughts a lot and have negative thoughts. It is getting a lot better. I still need to work on it and get over my fears but with god and the ones I love helping and support me it is getting better. It also feels better knowing that my symptoms are related to these disorders so that is a huge relief and it is curable. You are not alone

wow I cant believe that is where I used to be at. Im growing more with positivity now and I still cant believe it is possible to grow from so much without having that therapist but she did make me feel depresssed though talking about current issues and uncomfortable. I have made great steps with my boyfriend by slowly getting over my fears and I feel like I have pushed past my depression to get threw it faster then I used to I feel like Im not falling down as long as mange to get myself back up and moving forward... slow progress but much improved now
Old 8th June 2010, 13:59

I've reached the stage where I'm going out more and more although I still feel really tearful sometimes when I'm out and about (I don't the why of this). I'm getting better with individuals, but groups are scary still, don't know if I'll never be able to go to college, Tai chi or the Buddshist centre. I know when I'm playing head games with myself and I'm able to disengage more and more. I'm being kinder to myself and not beating myself up for not being perfect.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:05

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb
Great advice Mayo. I have used the TEA forms for years now and they are so helpful in keeping my anxiety under control. I probably don't need to keep doing them my thinking has transformed so much but I do just to be safe
Thx Herb and let me know if I can be of any help xyz?
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:08

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivePoemsbyme
wow I cant believe that is where I used to be at. Im growing more with positivity now and I still cant believe it is possible to grow from so much without having that therapist but she did make me feel depresssed though talking about current issues and uncomfortable. I have made great steps with my boyfriend by slowly getting over my fears and I feel like I have pushed past my depression to get threw it faster then I used to I feel like Im not falling down as long as mange to get myself back up and moving forward... slow progress but much improved now
Good for you poems I personally found that for me to make real progress it was up to me and that some therapists help but far too many end up being more of a crutch over trime. When I dedicated myself to using the CBT exercises and followed through is when I got the real I so badly wanted and needed
Old 30th June 2010, 01:40

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo1
Good for you poems I personally found that for me to make real progress it was up to me and that some therapists help but far too many end up being more of a crutch over trime. When I dedicated myself to using the CBT exercises and followed through is when I got the real I so badly wanted and needed
This is what I found out to. You really have to commit to getting yourself better if you want to get over the hump with your anxieties!
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:58

Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine
This is what I found out to. You really have to commit to getting yourself better if you want to get over the hump with your anxieties!
Me too and I still use the TEA form exercise to stay on top of my anxieties
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:59

Mood
Sad

a long way off yet, maybe getting worse
Old 26th July 2010, 14:02

Mood
Crappy

Red face Re: Where are you in your recovery?

I'm not sure how much progress I made but I have realised that eventhough I have learned to suppress these feelings of boredom and helplessness and try and enjoy my own company, I still have problems talking and relating to other people or rather my shame and anxiety prevent me from doing so-I realised I had SA when I started uni where it probably peaked I wasn't fitting in and started to hate myself for not being able to. I found it really hard but still bumbled along convincing myself I could manage, too proud to ask for help and at the same time not helping myself, limiting my opportunities and living a rather miserable existence- I have rubbish social skills and virtually no friends because of it I didnt even see how unfriendly I was being, like depending on the day whether Im feeling brave I can go into a shop and smile and people have said that i can be friendly...but I don't work hard enough at it! All feedback is good feedback- and this year I have heard all sorts

On a more positive note, being around others in my last job(after a year of being unemployed) has given me a clearer picture of how I actually am and how far I could go in terms of happiness and achieving my goals, I am generally feeling more positive that I can beat this but I need support from others to help me achieve it..at least now I can admit that!
Old 10th August 2010, 22:32

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortielicious
Getting worse, probably because my relationship seems to be going down the toilet so I tend to reflect on myself even more than usual. My problems are always magnified when I'm having a crap time in other areas of my life..
I think it is normal to slide backwards in this situation so don't beat yourself up over it! Try and keep working on yourself as best you can and soon I am sure you will start progressing again
Old 10th August 2010, 22:34

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweep
a long way off yet, maybe getting worse
Have you tried cbt and the tea form exercise? They have helped me immensely
Old 12th August 2010, 13:38

I don't really know any more - I think I've generally been on an upward curve over the last 5 years or so but the same old problems (looking scared/tense when talking to certain people, overthinking, low moods/self esteem etc.) are still there and on some of the bigger social occasions I've been on this year, they've cost me dearly...
Old 12th August 2010, 14:42

Over the hills and far away...
Old 12th August 2010, 14:51

Mood
Blah

Still the same..but edging more towards slow progress.
Old 12th August 2010, 15:03

I'm not sure anymore. I made a lot of progress in the last few years, but at the moment I feel a bit depressed and anxious about the future. Nothing new here... but I noticed lately I restarted isolating myself a bit too much because of it and restarted getting this uncontrollable crushing sad feeling on and off through the days.

But at least I'm improving in other areas. I finished my first song in ages and started doing fashion design. I guess I should concentrate on that.
Old 14th August 2010, 17:51

Mood
Dreaming

i feel like i making doing alot better and feel that everything is good right now just havent gone to the library to volunteer i guess anxious but still do it anyways like feel the fear and do it anyways
Old 14th August 2010, 18:16

Mood
Fine

I have yet to start a recovery.
Old 18th August 2010, 21:59

Things I've done recently:

(Having a really bossy CBT councellor who won't take no for an answer helps quite alot)

Family meal
(quiet) drink down the pub with someone I haven't seen in ages (just bumped into them by chance really)
Loads of going into really busy places and just forcing myself to stick it out there (coffee shops, shopping centres, even a football match)
Signing up for dating site (with a photo - purely to test out whether my theory/belief that I'm utterly repellant and females will find me disgusting and not bother visiting my profile is correct - so far no-one's commentated negatively and surprisingly there's been lots of visitors)
Train journey and shopping in Birmingham
Phoned up about flat/phoned up about going back to Uni
Even asked about joining a local five-a-side league