SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th February 2017, 15:28
Global Moderator

Default Support thread for those with weight issues

I know we have the weekly weigh in thread, but I know some people might not like to post specifics on there, I thought we could have a more general thread to talk about/support each other with our issues when it comes to weight.

Maybe you are overweight and struggling to lose weight, maybe you are underweight and struggling to gain weight, or maybe you are somewhere in between and feel that you just aren't happy with your weight.

Maybe you want to chat about binge eating/under eating/diet/exercise or anything else. I thought it would be a good idea to have a general thread where we can talk about our feelings, how we are doing and seek advice or support from each other. Maybe you've read a great self help book, maybe you've made some progress you'd like to share with others or maybe you're just feeling down about your weight recently.

(I'll post my stuff in a separate reply so if I get nervous and want to delete it, the thread can still stay up)
Old 6th February 2017, 16:04

Default Re: Support thread for those with weight issues

whats your motivation for losing weight?
Old 6th February 2017, 16:11
Global Moderator

For the last year or so I've been between 13-14 stone. I'm currently 13 stone 11 lbs, although several times I've dropped down to 13st 4lbs and thought "I'm finally doing it" but then I put it all back on. It seems to be a cycle.

Often, I go for maybe 4 days eating "well" and feel loads better. Because I'm already quite heavy, it comes off me quite quickly when I'm consistent. But then if I start eating badly again (usually comfort eating) I put it on just as quickly, then I think "**** it" and continue eating whatever I want. Obviously, then I just put even more on and feel worse. Then I think "right THIS time I'm really doing it" and go back down a bit. I really want to break the cycle and break through that 13 stone barrier. Even seeing 12 stone 13lbs on the scales would feel amazing to me, as stupid as that sounds.

I've decided to approach things in a different way, although I've no idea if it's a good idea or if it will work. I recently bought a PS4 and I only have one game for it so far. There's a game that I really want but it's only just come out and is really expensive. I've been umming and aahing about justifying spending the money (I'm also not great with money - impulse control is not my strong suit, funnily enough) I've had an idea that maybe I could use it as a reward for weight loss. If I reach 13 stone, I'll buy my game. Losing 11lbs is not a stupid goal, it's very doable and I'd feel very good about myself. It's also probably take me a month or more so by that time I'll have more money anyway. Usually, I reward myself with food as it's one of the things I enjoy most in life, but obviously that is kind of counter productive. Like "well done to me for changing my eating habits, now I'll eat a load of takeaway and chocolate to reward myself" then the next day after all that food I feel crappy and want to eat more as a comfort.

Usually, I eat okay during the week but then at the weekend go crazy. If I go out for drinks on a Friday night, I'll eat loads on the night, eat loads the next day because I'm hungover and then on Sunday eat loads cos I feel crappy about the drinking and eating so much over weekend. Often, that rules out Monday too because I have the Monday blues. Maybe tuesday - thursday I'll go back to eating better, but when I'm eating SO much at weekend, I'm just yoyoing up and down.

What's weird is, the way I see myself changes all the time. Sometimes I look in the mirror and I think I look okay. Like, I know I'm bigger than I should be, by far, but sometimes I look in the mirror in certain clothes and like the way I look. Sometimes I like the way my hips are, and my boobs, and my bum. Sometimes I think "my belly isn't THAT big" - then other times, I see my reflection and feel genuinely sick to the stomach. Sometimes I see pictures of myself and think "how can I not have known how fat I've gotten?" - sometimes I think I look like an actual whale. I think I look like people you see on documentaries, who are bed-ridden. I also have BDD so I guess that comes in to it too.

I found this website that shows you what people of your height and weight look like (obviously this varies depending on their muscle/fat etc but it was very interesting) - I looked through pictures of people of my height at different weights, all the way from 7 stone to 20. I found pictures of the people who I thought looked most like me and it turned out they were all at least 4 or 5 stone heavier than me. My husband confirmed they were much bigger than me (and he doesn't lie and pretend I'm not fat to protect my feelings, I know he likes the way I look, but he also has aspergers so he is quite blunt and honest, but I like it). So the way I think I look changes drastically daily and it turns out I actually have no idea what I look like.

All I can know, is that the scales tell me I am not a healthy size for my height and so I need to do something about it. Soon I will turn 26, which is in no way old but as it means I'm closer to 30 than 20, I really want to think about my health and I don't want to end up with obesity related health problems which I definitely will unless I make a change.

I think my issues with eating are related to mental health issues I have. I can think of a lot of things growing up which made eating a comfort thing for me, but I won't go in to them because I feel like that would just be blaming others for a problem I need to take responsibility for and fix.
Old 6th February 2017, 16:14
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon
whats your motivation for losing weight?
Sorry didn't see this until after I posted. For me, it's a health issue mainly nowadays, but also a confidence thing. Although I'm married, and wouldn't do anything about male attention, I miss getting it. I used to get it a lot and it was a nice self esteem boost. I also really miss being able to wear loads of clothes and them looking good. It's so hard to find clothes nowadays that look okay. I want to wear cute little skirts for work, or even in the summer be able to put on a t-shirt without worrying about subjecting everyone to a terrible sight. Also, people standing up for me on the metro because they think I'm pregnant is getting old very fast.
Old 6th February 2017, 17:09

Ok. Thats a good piece to refer to.

I'm about 12.5 stone, I have light motivation to lose weight, but one reason being a parent developed hip problems(needed hip replacements) due to weight, I have similar dodgy bones and that is my motivation. My strategy is -only getting good stuff in -improving general cooking skills. I think over time that pair will start to function.
The killer is eating out, buffets and kfc. I want to reduce buffets/kfc to once every 2 months only. And general eating out if I am alert to healthy choices on the menu to once every 2 weeks.

At a former workplace I had a colleague who had weight problems and did every diet under the sun. (slimming world looked the best of the diets she tried) but she never cut down her mass drinking adventures and wondered why she didn't lose anything.
Old 14th February 2017, 16:51

I'm dangerously (morbidlllllllllyyyy) overweight but can't summon motivation for more than a few days at most to diet. I do sabotage myself, in some ways there are payoffs to being fat, payoffs I'm deeply mindful of and can wax lyrical about but haven't yet found a way to rewire.

It also is just frankly boring and miserable having to be mindful about everything you stick in your damn gob. I can honestly concentrate on very little these days, and it's one more thing to have to remember.

I really liked the book Fat Is A Feminist Issue, they had some good stuff in there about the role fat plays for women in society and the different reasons we trip ourselves up to stay fat.

I can't 'embrace' being fat at all, I find morbid obesity unattractive and can't blame anyone for feeling the same anymore. I feel deeply sorry for the people who have been attracted to me at this size, a size I've been for most of my life. Poor buggers.
Old 17th February 2017, 18:53

forgive me for I have sinned, a tub of ice cream yesterday and 4 pots of joy today. Belly says 'fat fker'