SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th June 2012, 23:04

Default Re: Employment Support Allowance and Social Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***1103;emus
This from a friend who had to attend an ATOS test today. This is truly saddening and shocking but people must know what these scum bags are doing.

Bob Lee:
have never experienced anything like it,Atos full to bursting with disabled in wheelchairs,mentally impaired,with cpns or cab advisors. Steaming hot with water dispenser empty,5 Practitioners between 30 minutes & an hour behind schedule. Guy ranting "fat ****ing bitch i have been here 2 hours!" guy in wheel chair shat himself & the stench..my god he is not long for this world & i among others heaved on their ****ing carpet as his poor wife screamed:"you ***** my husbands dying & your going to leave me with THIS memory of his last days?" with tears pouring down her face. Point me in direction of downing st and let me thump the ****ing table AFTER i slit their goddam ****ing throats! Sorry for the language but i am disgusted that this is what this country has come to,shitting on the ill to show how strong we are!
God that's so horrible, and SO WRONG on so many levels. It's disgusting that the most poor and vulnerable in society are being made to pay for the mistakes of the rich bankers. I actually accompanied a friend to one of these ATOS farces and I too couldn't believe how some of the people there could have even been called for a medical examination, for example a young teenage male so obviously with Down's Syndrome, with his carer in tow because he couldn't have got to the appointment by himself.
Old 17th June 2012, 00:38

have never experienced anything like it,Atos full to bursting with disabled in wheelchairs,mentally impaired,with cpns or cab advisors. Steaming hot with water dispenser empty,5 Practitioners between 30 minutes & an hour behind schedule. Guy ranting "fat ****ing bitch i have been here 2 hours!" guy in wheel chair shat himself & the stench..my god he is not long for this world & i among others heaved on their ****ing carpet as his poor wife screamed:"you ***** my husbands dying & your going to leave me with THIS memory of his last days?" with tears pouring down her face. Point me in direction of downing st and let me thump the ****ing table AFTER i slit their goddam ****ing throats! Sorry for the language but i am disgusted that this is what this country has come to,shitting on the ill to show how strong we are!

that's fkn low
Old 17th June 2012, 05:27

if you can't get esa or jsa, apply for jsa under the hardship provision through a jsa10 form. you still get council tax, housing, and reduced rate jsa paid, but you don't have to look for work.
Old 17th June 2012, 08:34

Mood
Creative

The death of one of my fellow comrades last week.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/327050

Quote:
A WOMAN who spent two years fighting to stop her disability benefits from being taken away has died just weeks after finally winning her battle against bureaucrats.

Karen Sherlock, 44, was declared fit to work in 2010 even though her eyesight was failing and she needed a kidney transplant.
Her husband Nigel said it was a disgrace she was refused benefits and said her battle finally took its toll on her health.

Although she struggled to get out of bed, it was deemed she could work by officials at Atos Healthcare, which assesses benefits claimants on behalf of the Department of Work and Pensions.
Last year she lost an appeal against the decision but continued her campaign. In April her £96-a-week benefits were stopped, plunging her into despair as her health deteriorated.
Old 17th June 2012, 10:39

Mood
Melancholy

Quote:
The death of one of my fellow comrades last week.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/327050
It makes me sick to the stomach to read such inhumane bureaucratic nonsense, that department has certainly got blood on their hands. I wonder if they can sleep at night, I hope not.
Old 27th June 2012, 00:40

Thought I'd post this Ministry of Justice information video which gives advice about making an appeal to a tribunal.

Apparently, the MoJ first posted this video on YouTube back in March, but it was taken down a week later after employment minister Chris Grayling complained about some of its content - for example, it says people who attend tribunals in person are twice as likely to win their appeals.

It seems Chris Grayling doesn't want mere mortals knowing such things!

The video reappeared on YouTube a few days ago.

EDIT: A few days after posting the video above the MoJ went and removed it again, but someone has now put a copy of the video on YouTube:

Old 27th June 2012, 23:10

^
Thanks for posting that, Clawhammer. I am appealing my ESA decision and am very nervous about going to the tribunal so that was quite comforting. It's pretty shocking that the government wanted it taken down as it's not exactly controversial and is aimed at helping people with genuine problems.
Old 30th June 2012, 08:50

Mood
Creative

The turning point?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...=FBCNETTXT9038

Some interesting points:

Quote:
Nathalie Lieven QC highlighted that there were very high levels of appeals against all decisions not to award the Employment and Support Allowance (the new Incapacity Benefit), currently running at about 40% of unsuccessful claims, and very high levels of decisions being overturned on appeal (also around 40%), describing this as a "highly inefficient and undesirable situation".
Quote:
Claimants with mental health problems were less likely to understand the need to gather extra medical evidence from their doctor in support of their claim, they might have less insight into their own conditions, were more likely to have chaotic lifestyles, and were less well-equipped to make phone calls to organisations that might support them, she said.
Because they were also often reluctant to tell people about their mental health problems, they were often not very good at summarising the nature of their illness, sometimes downplaying its severity.
"By the very nature of the condition, they are more likely to find the process of appealing very difficult and it may be very detrimental to their condition," she said.
The nail in the coffin for the WCA:

Quote:
The court hearing came the day after the British Medical Association (BMA) called for the WCA to be scrapped on the grounds that it was causing distress to thousands of people with long-term health conditions who were being deemed fit for work.
Old 30th June 2012, 16:00

Mood
Creative

These sort of things are getting more common, very sad:

Man sets himself on fire outside Birmingham jobcentre

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...=FBCNETTXT9038
Old 30th June 2012, 16:23

Mood
Spaced

This is just wrong on so meny lvls and makes me worry even more about my up coming esa BS
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:25

I went along to another ESA medical this morning - my second in 7 months.

I was the only person in the waiting room. I saw a different doctor this time. She was nice and pleasant, but the whole procedure still feels a tad degrading and humiliating. The assessment lasted about 15 minutes. I'll ask my Jobcentre for a copy of the medical report, and should hear back from the DWP in about a months' time.

I feel like I'm becoming an old hand at these medicals now.
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:37

^ That's horrible (and unethical and mental abuse in my opinion) that they would put you through yet another one of these degrading farcical ESA "medicals" in such a short time, like as if you're really going to be cured of your phobias in just a few short months, something which you've probably had for years.
Old 4th July 2012, 07:23

Mood
Creative

Fingers crossed clawhammer!
Old 4th July 2012, 07:35
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammer
I went along to another ESA medical this morning - my second in 7 months.

I was the only person in the waiting room. I saw a different doctor this time. She was nice and pleasant, but the whole procedure still feels a tad degrading and humiliating. The assessment lasted about 15 minutes. I'll ask my Jobcentre for a copy of the medical report, and should hear back from the DWP in about a months' time.

I feel like I'm becoming an old hand at these medicals now.
I can't believe they've dragged you in again! It's just appalling. You can request to have the interview recorded. When I get moved to ESA they'll be recording anything they say to me. I don't trust them at all.
Old 11th July 2012, 09:40

Mood
Creative

The Tory ideology seems rife within the new universal benefit. A good idea gone warped it seems.

Benefit reforms will penalise thousands of disabled people, analysis shows

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...?newsfeed=true
Old 17th July 2012, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineo
is anyone in contact with the moderators at the full facts website ? I need my password reset but can't seem to find a way to contact anyone without logging in.
The admin of the site, Miss Ben E Fit, posted this yesterday, so it's looking like the site won't be functioning as normal unless a new admin is found.

Quote:
I am no longer willing or able to run The FullFacts. By that I know it is useful for some people and I will keep site online but no longer be admin.

I have been back today after a week off to find in particular personal emails full of the usual problems too much for me, People dont understand I dont really know anything and I am mostly online in running site by myself.

The site will remain online: But may have to be read only ie: No login available. This will be mitigated by no need to login to access attachments.

I will have to stop registrations as at present they are checked by myself to keep site safe.

I will still be putting my oar in via facebook and twitter.

Any offers for admin accepted but if not I WILL STILL plan to keep site online.

Ms B
Old 17th July 2012, 22:09

Mood
Creative

They are trying to recruit mods from members there. As the admin was doing a solo job in a (now) very popular forum. She cracked up poor lass.
Old 17th July 2012, 23:35

^ I expect the volume of messages got too much for her as apparently the amount of people being kicked off ESA (and other benefits no doubt) has completely gone through the roof in the last few months and most are in need of help with their appeals. I hope she is ok.

I joined the 'benefits and work' site which is very helpful but they make you pay £20 for just 1 years membership which is a bit of a rip off. I suppose they can afford to pay their admin staff with that amount of money coming in.
Old 22nd July 2012, 12:32

Mood
Sad

First of all I have had an expereince of this before and i had to go through the appeal process, i did eventually win, but it took close to a year to get there. Now this week i have been sent a date for a medcial assessment, now because of my expereince of the last one, i doubt somehow that i will pass. I think in most cases whatever you say they fail you, otherwise they do not get paid. Now i think the system is un-fair and if you have passed a medical once or gone through the appeal system, you should not have to go for a medical assessment for one year after you win. Now i am dreading this because they have given me such a short time to get any edvience together. I am going to see my doctor as soon as i can and i have little support as i am still on a waiting list to get a support worker and i am worried that they will just say that because i am on the waiting list i am much better.

I am sorry that these medicals are never easy, i wish they were and i wish there was something better i could post here. I would take as much evdience as possible and go from there. Too be honest i think you have a much better chance if you go with a support worker or someone like that, as this makes it hard for them top fail you. Also if you do have to go through the appeal process, go directly to cab and get yourself a repesentive who will help you with your case.

Secondly to be honest i am Very, very nervous as i have a dwp medical at end of july and i am very much dreading it, i never feel at ease at those things and i find them so hard to get through. I just end feeling lots of aniexty and end up claming up so they always fail me. I do not want to have to go through the appeal system yet again. I do not know how i will get through that day. Let alone the few before it. I just don't know what to do and know i will suffer a panic attack. The thing is i hate showing this to anyone i do not know. I struggle at work places, especially busy places, but struggle to tell them this.
Old 30th July 2012, 11:13

Thought I'd flag up a couple of programmes on TV tonight (Monday, 30 July) about the ESA work capability assessment:

Dispatches: Britain On The Sick. 8pm, Channel 4
“Using undercover filming, reporter Jackie Long investigates the shocking processes used to assess whether sickness and disability benefit claimants should be declared fit for work.”

Panorama: Disabled or faking it? 8.30pm, BBC2
“Panorama investigates the government's plans to end the so-called 'sick note culture' and their attempts to get millions of people off disability benefits and into work. In Britain's modern welfare state, millions are being paid to private companies to assess sick and disabled claimants but is the system working? Or are new tests wrongly victimising those who deserve support the most?”
Old 30th July 2012, 21:03

Mood
Creative

Both excellent programs, lets hope this is the turn of the tide!
Old 30th July 2012, 21:12

Quote:
Both excellent programs, lets hope this is the turn of the tide!
I've only watched Panorama so far (I will watch Dispatches later on catch up)

I'm sickened, livid and gobsmacked at how those french atos bastards have been getting away with treating people in that manner!!!
Old 30th July 2012, 21:32

Mood
Happy

I'm sick of this Governments attitude to disabled people and feel that we should actively campaign for the rights of people already enduring problems in coping. I'm very concerned about the changes in benefits planned by the Government. In my opinion unacceptable removing or reduction in benefits is going to take place. We should campaign and oppose as much as possible.
Old 30th July 2012, 22:17

Mood
Creative

I did notice all the 'docs' doing tests on both programs were not Brits. The Training doc in Dispatches could get get real work here and ended up working for ATOS. I cannot see many NHS docs taking up the work, the circles I mix in have always said the assessors were unkempt, could not speak english properly, or did not seem professional etc. Makes you wonder eh?
Old 30th July 2012, 22:29
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Here is the dispatches one: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od/
Old 30th July 2012, 22:34
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._or_Faking_It/
Not on there yet but hopefully will be soon.
Old 30th July 2012, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammer
Thought I'd flag up a couple of programmes on TV tonight (Monday, 30 July) about the ESA work capability assessment:

Dispatches: Britain On The Sick. 8pm, Channel 4
“Using undercover filming, reporter Jackie Long investigates the shocking processes used to assess whether sickness and disability benefit claimants should be declared fit for work.”

Panorama: Disabled or faking it? 8.30pm, BBC2
“Panorama investigates the government's plans to end the so-called 'sick note culture' and their attempts to get millions of people off disability benefits and into work. In Britain's modern welfare state, millions are being paid to private companies to assess sick and disabled claimants but is the system working? Or are new tests wrongly victimising those who deserve support the most?”
I meant to record these programmes but went and forgot
Old 31st July 2012, 13:36

Mood
Tired

Now on my way to my second medical assessment for ESA i am dreading it so wish me luck
Old 31st July 2012, 14:21

Mood
Veggedout

I having to do this, but i mainly get s.a due to fatque i alway had s.a issues but could usually surpress most of them. I claiming incapasity at moment dues to m.e/cfs condtion i got (after an virus )that i have, i will be gettin questionaire any week now, dreading it as have my own council flat and if get rejected il be on half money a week, and have lots bills :O

good luck everyone else claiming i heard even harder to get regarding phycological stuff. I have my old incapasity forms from 2006 so can take some refernaces from that as photocopied it.
Old 31st July 2012, 14:28

Mood
Veggedout

also i got £260 of bills a month so dunno how 71 a week id afford keep my flat. I'l hav emake sure i get a specialist letter and gp letter to help my case. My mums good at forms as was cival servant so i hoping il be ok