SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st January 2019, 22:27

Mood
Bashful

Default Antidepressant Wellbutrin/bupropion

This is an antidepressant not available in the UK but anyone who knows about mental health drugs have probably heard of it. It is a NDRI (Noradrenaline and Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor). I heard about it in around 2008 when I became interested in psychiatric drugs and thought this one may be for me and I finally got my chance.

I have been on the SSRIs citalopram, escitalopram, sertraline, paroxetine. All did a decent job (paroxetine the worst) of reducing my social anxiety/depression but made me tired, apathetic/zombieish. Anyway, I'm trying to lose weight and bupropion combined with naltrexone is a licenced drug to treat obesity in the UK since 2017, I think (at the dose 90mg bupropion/8mg naltrexone). I came into some money so I bought it (don't forget I had read about it since 2008). Bupropion is used in the UK to treat smoking at the dose of 150mg 2x per day.

My God, the difference between an NDRI and an SSRI couldn't be more different. Bupropion feels like speed, so much energy actually cleaned my flat and I normally live like a scruff, put washing on, cleaned bathroom all by 1pm. Massive self-confidence, feel constantly happy and sociable, I smoke but wanting to smoke diminished so much.

SSRI (for me) improves sociality somewhat but lethargic, flat emotions, but easier to fall asleep. NDRI, I feel all my emotions, much more social, no blunting, but rather hard to fall asleep. Go to bed and go to sleep but wake up every two hours but fall asleep easily after waking up (approx 4 times per night every two hours)

However, I have since stopped bupropion because I wanted a few pints the other day and bupropion can cause you to have epileptic seizures when combined with alcohol unfortunately.

Bupropion worked great, but I'm increasingly feeling drugs are not the answer for my problems.
Old 2nd January 2019, 15:27

Default Re: Antidepressant Wellbutrin/bupropion

I take Buproprion and it might have just saved my life. Brilliant drug. And I can report having had more energy in general since I have been taking it (several years). It also doesn't have the sexual side-effects that all SSRIs seem to have. Downside is it doesn't seem to do a great deal about SA.
Old 4th January 2019, 21:42

Mood
Bashful

Yeah man totally different i like how it made me feel but was paranoid about seizures so stopped. Going to start again because I have about 100 tablets left. But yeah nothing done for sa but negative feelings totally blitzed.
Old 26th May 2019, 09:39

Were you able to get the Bupropion over the counter at the Pharmacist, or was it from t'internet?
Old 26th May 2019, 09:47

Bupropion is only available in the UK as Zyban, for smoking cessation only. It is not approved in the UK as a treatment for depression or any other condition. I believe it is also a prescription only drug.
Old 1st June 2019, 21:39

Mood
Bashful

I got bupropion as a weight loss drug called mysimba, but I'm not on it anymore I'm avoiding taking manufactured chemicals into my brain.