Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th September 2016, 20:33
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Looks like a move near my stepdaughter might be on the cards

It has been prompted by confirmation that my block of flats is to be demolished.
My step daughter says if they give me a place near to here she would not be able to support me as much as she likes, or as much as she had promised my wife she would do.

She says she will sort out 90% of things. She is going to talk with my council and hers about a transfer for me .

Support here from the professionals is virtually non existent ;unless you count turning up for fortnightly depos and seeing a nurse practitioner every 6 months or so.

That is despite being described as having "Limited ability to live independently in the community".
I am very much socially isolated here with very little in the way of readily available support.
I don't suppose I will make lots of friends by moving but it would mean my step daughter and granddaughters could see me more often and be better able to give support.

I am lucky that I have a step daughter who cares so much. For many, for whom family are supposed to plug the ever increasing holes in mental health care, it is not the case.
Old 15th September 2016, 20:50

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Looks like a move near my stepdaughter might be on the cards

It's really good your step daughter will help and support you

Maybe despite the change and stress that could be caused by a move you will find that your general situation is improved by it.
Old 15th September 2016, 21:49
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^^ I think it may be a good thing if I can get past the initial adjustment/move, the thought of which is ramping up my anxiety despite the offer of help.
Old 15th September 2016, 22:06

It's great that you have the support from your step-daughter, it could turn out to be a good thing to move closer to them, to help you be less isolated The move might be tough, but you'll be better off once it's sorted.

Maybe with her help, would it be possible to look into getting additional support, seeing a support worker regularly or something like that? If you explain your situation to your GP, they might be able to refer you to organisations that offer that sort of thing.
Old 15th September 2016, 22:24
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^ You are right. My problem is I tend to catastrophise with a capital C and go into "Doomsday is coming" mode of thinking.
I know deep down that my step daughter wouldn't let me go under but still I worry.

She has said she would come to appointments if necessary .
Old 16th September 2016, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
^ You are right. My problem is I tend to catastrophise with a capital C and go into "Doomsday is coming" mode of thinking.
I know deep down that my step daughter wouldn't let me go under but still I worry.

She has said she would come to appointments if necessary .

This is great news, Firemonkey - sounds like things may finally be looking up for you

I remember you often saying that isolation is a real problem for you where you are at the moment so to move closer to your step daughter who sounds wonderfully caring and supportive can only be a positive thing for you.

Moving is stressful, no doubt about it, but if you have family to help you out it will make everything that much easier for you to cope with. I hope, eventually, when you are settled into a new home with supportive family close by you will look back at the demolition of your flats as a blessing in disguise

Fingers crossed it works out, good luck!