SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 14th March 2008, 22:56

Mood
Balanced

Default Clubbing anxiety. Is this wrong?

I have pushed myself to go to my friends birthday 2moro at a club and ive had a steady level of anxiety all day today, even though its not until 2moro night. Does anyone else feel like this on the build up? i feel i cant control it.

Also, my brother is 18 in a few weeks but really wants to come(as its work friends) and ive told him he can try although he might get id'd(he looks older than me and im 20 lol). Thats kinda adding to the anxiety as he has SA aswell and wants to face his fear. Im morally wrong allowing him to come but he already feels left out when his friends are inviting him clubbing underage but hes always feared going.

Feel free to tell me im scum for breaking the law haha
On a serious note though, any tips for reducing my constant anxiety level.
Old 14th March 2008, 23:41

Default Re: Clubbing anxiety. Is this wrong?

At least it's dark in clubs and people are usually wasted, so in some ways you don't feel as exposed as in other social situations. There isn't the same pressure to keep up a conversation either. On the flip side dancing is a nightmare for most SA people I'd imagine, so I guess the trick is to get loaded yourself then find a spot on amongst the most wild looking people of the dancefloor and just try to blend in. Different club-nights have a different vibe, and generally the dance / house oriented ones have a more fun and chilled-out atmosphere, whereas hip-hop / rnb ones are often full of posers and people not dancing which can make you feel more "watched".
Old 14th March 2008, 23:45

Mood
Worried

I get nervous about going clubbing, just because it's something I do very rarely. On the whole I don't enjoy it much, even if I go to an "indie" night and they play music I like, I just find the whole experience pretty boring. I'd rather go see a band or just stay at home.

I expect once you're there it won't be so bad. You'll probably find that so many people make TOTAL fools of themselves anyway, you (and your brother) won't feel too anxious. That's what I have found in the past, anyway. And having a *couple* of drinks does help lessen the anxiety too.
Old 15th March 2008, 15:14

Mood
Curious

It's completely normal to be nervous on a night out if you don't do it often. A few beers usually help.
Closed Thread