SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 23rd October 2010, 13:26

Mood
Balanced

Default Manager at work

I work in a small convenience food shop and have some annoying shifts ranging from starting at 6.30am to finishing at 10pm.

For the past few months, I have been walking to work(which is about 4 miles) when I am on early mainly because there are no buses at this time of the day. I take a change of clothes and towel and always arrive a little early. I actually love the walk and have lost nearly a stone in weight because of this.

I the past few months, It has only rained during my walk on two occasions. Unfortuantly, on both of these occasions the store manager at my work has been in to open up. He became a little annoyed that i was coming in wet and has since become obessed with finding a way to get me a lift to work.

Yesterday, I told him I am fine walking in and enjoy it, and explained about my change of clothes etc. He then starting going on saying he is worried about the buissness side to things and doesnt want me off work with flu(ive not had a sick day in 6 months). He then told me to ring up another collegue and ask him to pick me up. The other collegue is a good firned at work but I dont see why i should drag him out every shift to give me a lift, its embarrising really.

Now, I understand his concerns but I feel it is my life and how i get to work is for me to decide. I've tried phoning the other collegue to ask about a lift but nobody is answering the phone. The problem is, I'm in work tommorow morning and the store manager is expecting me to get a lift in.

I really want to walk as normal tommorow, espeicaly when the forcast is clear/sunny. I enjoy the ealry morning walk as it wakes up and I feel better for it during the day.

Do you think i should walk in as normal and face what the manager might have to say? Im anxious that he is going to be annoyed. I can't get hold of the other collegue but i dont want to phone the manager saying this because he will probably come and pick me up himself
Old 26th October 2010, 15:45

Default Re: Manager at work

Hi,

Tell him you appreciate his concerns and the effort he's gone to to help find a lift but that you enjoy the walking because it's keeping you fit. Tell him that being fit actually helps your immune system.

Perhaps on days when you know the weather will be bad (icy, heavy rain etc) that you'll call your colleague. (Although I have to say it's a myth about being cold giving you a cold. There are more viruses around in cold weather (low temperatures stabilise them) but you can't avoid them. Fresh air and fitness will lower your risk if you wrap up).

He doesn't have any right to interfere in this way but it's worth trying to keep things pleasant by telling him you understand his points and will bear them in mind when it's v nasty out there.

Old 26th October 2010, 15:53

As said, he has no business telling you to get a lift to work. i'm actualy getting angry on your behalf just thinking about the idiocy of this, erm...idiot.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:03

what a dick, if i were you i'd definitely not arrange to get a lift. he's clearly in the wrong. what if you were in the habit of going for a jog before work (or any time), would he be allowed to tell you not to do that incase you got a cold? obviously not. its so unreasonable and strange for him to be fixated like this that i cant help but wonder if he has some peculiar motivation, such as jealousy over your weight loss (you present that as a positive thing for you) or improved fitness or whatever.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:17

Agreed with everything said. Wouldn't matter if u travelled by Tradis or toboggan, as long as ur on time and ready to work for the start of ur shift, it simply has nothing to do with
your interfering manager. Bloody bosses
Old 26th October 2010, 17:34

Mood
Blah

You definitely have to explain to your boss that you are happy enough making your own way to work. You don't have to go into detail and explain exactly why you prefer this.

As long as you turn up and you are ready to work in dry clothing before the shift starts, then he has no business prying into your personal 'out of working hours' preferences.
Old 26th October 2010, 18:05
Banned

your boss seems to think you are his property, like an Egyption slave owner

you need to nip this in the bud mate, next he'll be telling you you're not allowed to read The Sun or something daft like that..
Old 26th October 2010, 18:19

Mood
Insomnious

Kudos to you, Miles.

Stand up to the man. Be polite but firm.

Good luck!!!
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:15

Mood
Mellow

OMG - this made me angry on your behalf! His duty of care begins and ends while you are on his premises! I think he maybe projecting his guilt at scheduling in 6.30 am shifts for you. Sounds odd...but wouldn't it be more sensible of him to schedule people who have transportation for the early shift? Just a thought!
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:46

Oh dear poor you! By the way well done on keeping active like that really good for you! Maybe if you were in customer services and turning up really bedraggled he may have a point to fuss but it sounds like you are well equipped with towel and clothes. Maybe it is that it somehow makes him feel guilty or jealous (as Custard mentioned) knowing you have walked in, peculiar. Maybe he hates exercise and thinks you can't possibly be enjoying it.
I think Ceejay's post about trying to keep things pleasant but stick to what you do sounds a good idea, not necessarily even saying in really bad weather you will phone your workmate as you may end up feeling pressured about it. You are giving yourself enough time to get yourself presentable for work I really can't see what his problem is.
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:46

Mood
Bookworm

Your manager sounds like an absolute twat. Tell him you appreciate his concern but you are happy to walk to work.

He should be pleased that you are willing to walk to work in the first place (he is probably envious that he does not have the motivation himself!!).

Closed Thread