SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th December 2023, 07:28

Default Is cleaning work a suitable job for someone with social anxiety?

Thoughts?
Old 6th December 2023, 07:56

Default Re: Is cleaning work a suitable job for someone with social anxiety?

Cleaning offices at night time when they're empty sounds great....cleaning toilets/houses during the day while people watch sounds like a nightmare.
Old 6th December 2023, 20:39

Sure - it's a fairly one person job with some interactions, but you're usually in a team and get to chat to people. So it's a nice balance of being able to go off and clean and chat a little bit as well. Plus you can daydream and sing or listen to music.

(I'm a firm believer in trying to find ways of managing anxiety rather than thinking about jobs being SA friendly - which is often avoidance friendly!)
Old 6th December 2023, 21:05

I think it's a great job for anyone with any communication issues. Which is one of the reasons why so many immigrants take cleaning jobs when they first arrive in a country and haven't yet mastered the language. You can be as chatty, or un-chatty, as you like. It's also a job that deserves a lot of respect and appreciation. With the benefit of hindsight, I regret not seeking out that kind of work when I was unemployed and my anxiety was at its worst.
Old 7th December 2023, 02:14

It could be, for me it depends on who I'm working for and with but most of the time you'll be occupied. Some cleaning jobs are hard. And it can be fast work.

The majority of jobs I've had have been cleaning but all different. Window cleaning. Cleaning stockrooms. A random job cleaning up after contractors. The best one I had was part-time at an airport cleaning planes in small teams. It made me fitter, until they had me lifting luggage when those people needed help and I injured my back. And then there's times I've worked pretty much alone and hated it and was just watching the clock, like night-shift cleaning a care home. The stink of pee stays up your nose when you leave. Reeks.

I don't want to put you off the idea, though. Find something right for you. And the right people.
Old 7th December 2023, 16:04

Fair points everyone
Old 7th December 2023, 17:24

I would imagine so. Little social contact, by yourself mostly and physical job that will engage your mind although probably get mind-numbing quite quickly if I am honest with you. Are you choosing a cleaning job because of your social anxiety? I am trying to find a job and I am finding that all my decisions and choices are run by the thought of "how anxious will this make me feel?" rather than what is good for me.
Old 10th December 2023, 14:08

Yes, it's great for SA, I've done loads, I was very thorough and efficient, but I'm mostly avoiding unskilled manual labour now because of wear and tear on the body now Im getting on. I swear hoovering up ground up stuff from a rug at a school on a daily basis contributed to shoulder issues.
Old 16th January 2024, 20:30

Well I've had a couple of cleaning jobs. I had a weekend cleaning job where I was working in a team in a Hostel. It was very stressful as it was hard work and I was the only native English speaker there. No disrespect to the other people but I don't think it mattered whether you could speak English or not.

As soon as I got there I couldn't wait to leave! I would get stressed and annoyed because guests would absolutely trash the rooms. One time I was accused of stealing by a guest because his wallet went missing and I was the last one in his room but I didn't!

I am so glad I quit after 10 years! I only did it because I needed the money!

Another cleaning job I had which was a temp role through an agency was horrible because the woman who was my boss was a complete nightmare. If i made mistakes or didn't do a good job she would have a go at me!

The funny thing is I should have realised it wouldn't be a good place to be when I was at the Agency and I overheard the consultant talking to her colleague about how the last person who they put in the role wrote them and email telling them they were quitting the job!

It was cleaning offices but in the daytime so while people were actually in the office.

I am sure there are other cleaning jobs out there that wouldn't be so bad but I never want to do that again!
Old 16th January 2024, 20:58

^That reminds me I had a job in a hotel, making the beds and cleaning the rooms and bathrooms. But I only lasted a day and disappeared. Partly because I was so unfit at the time and working quickly got me stressed and partly because of someone I was working with.

When I started, they said I'd be partnered with Stella, let's call her and I thought I only know one Stella, I wonder if it's her. And it was. She was also told the same thing about me, funnily. But she previously owed me £20 and we fell out/didn't have too much in common/she was too flaky so it was just awkward. And I still never got that 20 back.
Old 16th January 2024, 23:02

Mood
Cynical

^ I used to work in a hotel changing and cleaning the rooms too for a few years. It is very physical work, which most cleaning jobs are!
Old 30th January 2024, 18:53

I currently work as a cleaner in a nursing home and i would definitely say its suitable for someone with social anxiety. You get the benefit of being able to work on your own but also get the bare minimum of social interaction which helps ease your social anxiety over time. I feel more confident now to jump into a job that's a bit more socially requiring just from this cleaning job alone. Would definitely recommend if you are looking for a comfortable stepping stone.