SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th September 2018, 09:38

Default Comfort Zone

Damn it’s hard to break out of my comfort zone. Not just SA wise but generally, eg I’m wanting to take my son on a 20 mins speedboat ride down the Thames today (thamesRIB) but I’m doing the old “what if I feel sick, I don’t like roller coasters” thing.

Pathetic.

Need to have a word with myself! I never take risks and reckon I miss out out on so much due to my own self imposed limitations.
Old 4th September 2018, 11:36

Default Re: Comfort Zone

Awww dang, wish I***8217;d seen this before cos it gave me the kick that I needed but I***8217;ve since booked something else. Will still try and do this at some point this year though with photo evidence. Honestly.

Freya you could make a fortune with a ***8220;have a word with yourself***8221; service...it***8217;s the uncompromising ***8220;get yer arse on that boat***8221; detail that I need! Let me know details and I***8217;ll be signing up on a monthly subscription
Old 4th September 2018, 11:53

Having said that I did sign up for Adult Improver swimming lessons at the weekend with the specific aim of giving me some confidence to go on a jet ski next summer, something else that I bottled this year.

***8220;Solid ground, familiar food, early nights, matching socks make Jack a dull boy***8221;

Sod it... today I***8217;m gonna wear odd socks. That***8217;ll be my personal accomplishment for the day. Odd socks right the way through til bed time.
Old 5th September 2018, 00:42

I feel as if it's been quite a while since I've been out of my comfort zone, but little more than three years ago, when I was agoraphobic, my comfort zone was very small and now there is relatively little outside it.

It's amazing how, over time, we can stretch our comfort zone to include things we once thought impossible; as Freyja says, most things become easier over time, no matter how daunting they appear at first. Avoidance is the best thing to avoid!
Old 8th September 2018, 13:46

Today I had my second adult improvers swimming lesson. Basically, I can swim front crawl for a length, get knackered, stop, do another one.
My main thing is that I don’t like deep water.

Swimming teacher today at the end said “jump in at the deep end”. I was like “naaahhh”. She’s like “just do it and don’t think about it”.

I quivered for 20 seconds. Then I did it. I lived. I did it again. Then I did it once more for luck.
Soon after a couple of tears popped out of my eye. It must’ve been the chlorine.

It was exactly what I needed. Can’t wait now for 1245 next Saturday

Old 8th September 2018, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewyear
Today I had my second adult improvers swimming lesson. Basically, I can swim front crawl for a length, get knackered, stop, do another one.
My main thing is that I don’t like deep water.

Swimming teacher today at the end said “jump in at the deep end”. I was like “naaahhh”. She’s like “just do it and don’t think about it”.

I quivered for 20 seconds. Then I did it. I lived. I did it again. Then I did it once more for luck.
Soon after a couple of tears popped out of my eye. It must’ve been the chlorine.

It was exactly what I needed. Can’t wait now for 1245 next Saturday

That's amazing, I think I could do with some improvers lessons.
Old 9th September 2018, 19:25

Cheers newbs. Yeah I reckon these little achievements go a long way to regenerating a bit of confidence
Old 9th September 2018, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious_introvert
Avoidance is the best thing to avoid!
So true... I’m gonna try and remember that one