SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 31st March 2008, 10:18

Default reported next door to RSPCA

They have 2 dogs who they leave alone for hours on end. The dogs get no exersise and yesterday i noticed they were with out any water. The man came home at 6after being out most of Sunday. He did not even open the back door to check on his dogs let alone feed them or give them water. He went out again till 8.50 again he did not check on them or feed them. So i have reported them to the RSPCA. I did not do this lightly or with out serious thought. This situation has been going on a long time now. I feel guilty for not doing it sooner. The dogs appear well fed but the are alone too long and recive no exersise or attention from the owners. I was shaking when i rang the RSPCA wether from repressed rage or anxiety about the situation i am not sure. The RSPCA said they would send someone to asses the situation. I hope its soon and that next door do not suspect me he use to beat up the woman he lives with. But i had to do somthing neglect is as much of an abuse as is starvation or beating but most people dont see it that way. Do you think i did the right thing?
Old 31st March 2008, 10:40

Mood
Cool

Default Re: reported next door to RSPCA

You certainetly did the right thing, for sure.

Just be aware of comebacks though, your neughbour will almost certainetly suspect you.
Old 31st March 2008, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
You certainetly did the right thing, for sure.

Just be aware of comebacks though, your neughbour will almost certainetly suspect you.
yes i suspect he might but i could not live with the guilt of doing nothing it has eaten away at me for too long as it is.
Old 31st March 2008, 13:15

It's a difficult one Goodeone. Maybe you could of spoken to them first but that would have been very hard with SA and also they would likely take it as a criticism (which it is - deservedly) so I think you would really be in a no win situation. If he is known to be quite aggressive it wouldn't be very safe anyway. I don't understand why some people have pets..

So thinking about it I think you did the right thing. Hope it goes o.k.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:44

Well done goodeone. I think that was definately the right thing to do.

robbied84, sounds like you need to too. I would even be tempted to catch the cat and hand it in as a stray. If she really cares she would phone to see if it has been handed in, if not it would be rehomed.
Old 31st March 2008, 18:11

Mood
Asleep

I think you definitely did the right thing
No one mistreats their pets where I live but if they did I'd report them.

Well done for not letting SA stop you from reporting them when you knew it was the right thing to do

I can't understand people who keep pets and then don't bother to look after them properly. If they don't want them anymore they should rehome them!
Old 31st March 2008, 18:44

Mood
Musical

Good for you goodeone just watch out incase there might be comebacks but ya did the right thing, also i hate it when people mistreat their pets
Old 31st March 2008, 18:49
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

I think it's good you care about the dogs, but the RSPCA wouldn't be my first call. They'll probably remove the dogs and have them destroyed, the guy will receive a fine or, perhaps, prison, but no education on how to look after animals. In a few years he'll have dogs again (whether banned or not) and be doing the same thing.

I'm not a dog person, but there might be a dogs trust around, they never put a healthy dog down.
Old 31st March 2008, 18:56
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbied84
That was great, poor dogs. I'm also thinking of calling the RSPCA on a "woman" who lives here who has a cat but doesn't look after it, she's gone away twice for at least a WEEK leaving it on its own, unfed. Landlord isn't happy because she didn't ask him to have the cat. I also called the police on her 2 weeks ago because she's been nicking residents post! She's that kind of a person. I'm so worried about her cat, I'm always seeing it round the bins. What a bitch.
Please call the Cat Protection before the RSPCA as they'll (the RSPCA) likely remove the cat and, if the cat is older than a year or two, probably destroy it as being "unhomable". The CP will probably catch the cat when the woman is "away" and rehome it or bring the RSPCA into things themselves (while being responsible for the cats rehoming).
Old 31st March 2008, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeone
Do you think i did the right thing?
Yes, definitely. Good for you goodeone. And hopefully the poor dogs will get some help.
Old 31st March 2008, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by W!llow
I don't understand why some people have pets..
Power- something to boss around. Some 'men' get a kick out of the look of fear and submission from a dog they have beaten. It is just too pathetic for words.

I'd like to see much tougher laws on cruelty to animals.
Old 1st April 2008, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousLaura
I think it's good you care about the dogs, but the RSPCA wouldn't be my first call. They'll probably remove the dogs and have them destroyed, the guy will receive a fine or, perhaps, prison, but no education on how to look after animals. In a few years he'll have dogs again (whether banned or not) and be doing the same thing.

I'm not a dog person, but there might be a dogs trust around, they never put a healthy dog down.
well i supose i could have called the dogs trust first but as they are not my dogs some one would still have to go and talk to the owner. What is to stop him from telling them to get lost and coming round to teach me a lesson? And would they take any notice of me(the dogs trust that is?) It would be sad if the dogs were removed and put to sleep but their life is very sad now no attention, no walks,bored loneliness. It is a clear case of neglect not perhaps the really shocking kind but neglect all the same. It may be he just needs someone with authority to and some backing from the law to tell him were he is failing his dogs.
Old 1st April 2008, 19:51

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko
I'm pretty sure RSPCA inspectors have to go round and assess the situation first, talk to the owner, see the dogs etc before any action is taken. There is a procedure and I don't think they can seize the dogs unless they actually have evidence of neglect. In similar cases, I've heard of RSPCA inspectors making repeated visits to see if requests are complied with. They want to educate people.
It is unlikely the RSPCA will seize the dogs or take any action if the dogs are generally watered and fed and have shelter from the elements. If on their visit the dogs do not have access to water and shelter or look underfed or physically unwell they could take action. The RSPCA do not have a lot of power when it comes to underexercised dogs and I imagine if asked the owner would just say he walks them.

A difficult one. I think it is good you reported him as a visit from the RSPCA may just make him think, if nothing else.
Old 1st April 2008, 22:07
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

The RSPCA don't usually run the rehoming centres, they license other to (£4000 a year I think). Some rehoming centres don't abide by the RSPCA rules which include: Not spending more than £50 on vets fees for an animal bought into their care. 14 days given to animals deemed "unable to home" due to age (usually) or illness, then the animal is usually destroyed. I'm not too sure about dogs, but some cats with illnesses which are life limiting but not terminal (FIV) are put to sleep as a matter of course. The CP and smaller charities usually get people to take these cats and not let them outside (ideal pets for people living in flats) but the RSPCA have a policy to destroy them.

http://cheetah.webtribe.net/~animadversion/

The above site has some information (albeit biased, of course) on the RSPCA and does make interesting reading.

I can think of no other charity that have legal powers and really fail to understand why the RSPCA is the exception.
Old 1st April 2008, 22:15

iv had my mad cat for 11 years thanks to a busy body next door neighbour, she said if you dont take her when you move im reporting them (the neglecting cat beating owners) to the rspca......my friends cat is still alive at 24...... jeez at least another 10 years of cat hell..........i do love her really but she has been a giant pain in the arse!!!
Old 11th April 2008, 16:02

For anyone who is interested the RSPCA came today at !.£0 the people next door were out. I went and told the inspector they were out. She asked if they had a dog i said two she asked if they were in a good condition i said yes. she said that was the inportant thing and that she would leave a card asking them to call her. I am feeling very scared and I wish i had not made that call.
Old 11th April 2008, 16:19
Banned (at own request)

Mood
Cheerful

Good on you goodone! Anyone can keep an animal locked up whilst feeding it regularly with food and water, but then what's the point in having them in the first place?

I believe there's 2 types of people when it comes to animals. The first type respect and care for animals, the sort who can sit and smile for hours as their dog runs around the garden playing with his/her toys. The second type I don't fully understand except they don't have souls, they don't see the point in animals (and animals don't see the point in them). Your neighbor I'm afraid doesn't have a soul.

It's cruel to keep dogs locked up constantly, regardless of how much you feed them, it'll surely make them miserable (though to be fair, they still have each other for company). I once had a dog and whenever I said 'walkies' she'd run around the house insane and fetch her lead! They're not meant to be locked up.

So hopefully the RSPCA will brand that bastard with something awful, and he'll rot in the eternal flames once he passes away
Closed Thread