SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 13th March 2020, 03:25

Default Re: Can't sleep :(

I think I'm the only insomniac non stop worrier SAUK'er

Worrying non stop about my mum. I was afraid of losing her to the emphysema and the cancer, now I'm afraid of losing her far sooner to the virus. We keep being told that only the elderly and people with serious underlying health problems are vulnerable as if that's meant to lessen your fear and bring some comfort. Well, it doesn't

Please don't quote this.
Old 13th March 2020, 03:32

Argh! I've finally started worrying about coronavirus after the news today. Also, I don't want to give it to my dad now he's all old and stuff. I shouldn't even still be living here. But now doesn't seem like a great time to move, or even get a job outside the house (my attempts so far have been rebuffed, and now I'm thinking, eh, the timing is not so bad!) Just thinking out loud really. Seeing how nervous politicians sound is making me nervous (they suddenly seem human for once.) Yeah, if you are elderly/ill or worried about someone who is, it's not a great comfort!

Also, how can I stop touching my face without thinking? I'm kind of a fidgeter. I keep washing my hands OCD style, but no hand san to be had. I guess I'm doing my bit by plenty of 'self-isolating'. Who would have thought it would be unusually pro-social behaviour?
Old 13th March 2020, 09:09

The politicians are sounding worried because cabinet ministers are having to self-isolate - plus, having a crisis distracts the public from other matters and in a sense, this couldn't have come at a better time for a Prime Minister who has no idea what he is doing. In previous times, this would have unified the country and enhanced our sense of community, but a culture of every person for themselves has developed, hence the hoarding and profiteering.

It's pointless for me to say this on an anxiety forum, but concerns for Covid-19 should be kept in proportion; of course, we should all be aware of it and continue to take precautions, but the chances of contracting it still remain pretty low. As choirgirl already mentioned, as a community a lot of us are already pretty good at self-isolating (maybe the meek will inherit the earth?).

I know some of you may think I'm being pretty blase about this, but of course I have concerns - it's relatively easy for me too because I don't have any elderly relatives to consider - I'm the elderly one in my social circle! Also, I haven't (yet) come into contact with someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who suspects they may have it - once that sort of thing happens, it becomes far more real.

Please try to keep your concerns in proportion, take precautions and keep an eye on local news to see how it's affecting your area - but lying awake at night is only likely to make things worse, especially if tiredness / being run down impacts on your immune system! Also, if you're getting a cold, don't start worrying that it's coronavirus - from what I've read, there are no other symptoms (like a runny nose etc.) initially than a dry cough, with respiratory issues (possibly from the outset, maybe later) and a fever later. It may be the only time anyone is happy to have a runny nose!

I do think the government could be doing more (quite frankly, the response has been a disgrace) to stop the spread but the risk in the UK is still low and people are self-isolating early if symptoms appear. The chances are that none of us will come into contact with it - but those of you who are concerned about passing it to more vulnerable family members might like to think about arranging contingency plans so you can self-isolate away from them (or move them away from you, if that's easier). For most, that's probably the most difficult thing logistically.

Start panicking when the delivery drivers from Tesco and Just-eat (other supermarkets and takeaway delivery services are available) are all self-isolating!

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
Old 16th March 2020, 06:35

^ Wise words as always GI, although I wish I was better at following them!

I try to rationalise things in my head but every time I look at the latest news reports I start to feel panicky all over again. The World crisis appears to be escalating by the minute. Country after country is under lock down and yet it almost feels like business as usual here - accept we all know it's not. My teen has just been told that he must extend his hours at College in preparation for exams. He also has a job interview coming up in retail but should he go or not? All the advice coming out at the moment is so conflicting and it's doing my head in. Meanwhile, my elderly in-laws are stuck out in Cyprus not sure if they will get back home.

I know some people (judging by comments on social media) think the crisis is a storm in a teacup blah, blah, blah, but there are A LOT of frightened folk out there, some of them old and extremely vulnerable
Old 16th March 2020, 06:40

^ Sorry, I have no idea what caused the corona thread to be removed (I miss all the excitement!) but I am happy to delete the above post if it's too triggering for anyone
Old 16th March 2020, 07:36

^ I think I will have to reduce the time I spend on social media and watching the news because the non stop talk about a virus that we can personally do little about (apart from the sensible examples you give) are taking there toll on my mental health, which was never top notch to begin with, lol.
Old 21st March 2020, 08:04

Yet another night of zero sleep

I wouldn't mind, but I've got to get up soon to try and get some bits that my mum wants from the shops because she is self isolating. I wouldn't be safe to drive on no sleep so thankfully my husband is coming with me. My son has a driving lesson today but surely it can't be good for him to be cooped up in a small car with an instructor who isn't fussed about personal hygiene? And a car that has numerous learners in it throughout the day? The instructor isn't the type to disinfect the steering wheel and the gear stick after each lesson.

Also worrying about something not directly Corona related. We bought one of those huge boxes of cat food yesterday from pets at home and took it round to our neighbour who rescues and fosters cats and dogs. The Hubby invited us to go in but his wife was quick to stop us and so we chatted briefly on the doorstep. I thought it was because of the potential to catch the virus but as neither us or them are in the particularly vulnerable age range (40's to early 50's) I've let my mind run away with me and am thinking that it was because I'm regarded as the weird neighbour across the street. Bah, even when there's more important things to worry about my stupid SA thoughts take over.
Old 21st March 2020, 08:20

^ It's probably not about being in a vulnerable age range, is it? It's more about reducing the potential to pass it on. It sounds like they were just being sensible since if one of you four had it without knowing you could have passed it to two other people who could pass it to others and so on. I wouldn't worry about it - sounds like they were trying to be safe
Old 21st March 2020, 09:30

Mood
Balanced

Can't sleep either not due to Corona panic that I lead a pretty mundane isolated life anyway and usually eat the same food that apart from the cinema being closed and supermarket stocks low with something's it has been pretty normal.
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:41

^^ No, you are right.
I was being completely irrational and letting my SA thoughts take over.
Old 30th March 2020, 09:53

^ hope you're alright Biscuits!
Old 9th April 2020, 01:07

I’m wide awake, not that it matters as every day may as well be a Sunday atm
Old 9th April 2020, 02:36
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

This is weird! Seems alot of people can't sleep tonight!
Wonder if it's the change in temperature.
Old 9th April 2020, 02:37

I'm part of the cannot sleep, overthinking club.
Old 11th April 2020, 03:22

Here again at silly o'clock
Old 11th April 2020, 04:14

Dammit I keep getting nightmares where my friend dies again and I can't stop it,then wake up in a panic. I thought they had passed,maybe it's all this virus situation and stress that's brought them back up? They need to pee off anyway,I have enough panics in my waking time I don't need extra from my sleep . I shouldn't complain really,there's a lot worse than a panic attack,I guess this is my way of `talking` to someone to kind of `break the spell` of the dream.

I've had some water and a moan on here now,better get back to bed. I hope there's not more tonight
Old 11th April 2020, 21:31

Thanks m'lovely^
'Tis all good,I got some sleep,worse things happen at sea an' all that,it just helps to vent sometimes. In this case posting and getting some water gave me time for the panic to bugger back off
Old 12th April 2020, 04:55

Mood
Musical

I can't sleep at the mo think I have tinnitus in my ears as I currently have a low pitch buzzing sound in my ears, I'll have to wait until either the pharmacy opens up or shops after Easter so I can get some ear drops as I have alot of built up was in them I think causing said problem
Old 15th April 2020, 02:30

The four cups of tea i had post 6pm weren't the best idea
Old 17th April 2020, 04:53

Back to the wide awake for hours club.
Old 17th April 2020, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ those apps sound interesting. Is it a programme or sounds or can you pick and choose?

No idea how I slept last night! I basically just drank my weight in caffeine yesterday - faux coke, tea, tea, tea, coffee, coffee. Caffeine seems to make me sleepy. I wonder why that is? Perhaps I get overexcited too quickly and it wipes me out?
The same things happens to me, I have a big crash after coffee and such
Old 17th April 2020, 23:55

(everything)
Old 18th April 2020, 02:08

Mood
Balanced

Can sleep but only sleep an hour or 2 at a time, up until 7am then fell asleep several times during the day.
Old 20th April 2020, 00:00

Does anyone else have trouble inducing sleep the night after drinking? Hangovers always seem to mess things up for me.
Old 25th April 2020, 05:59
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
Does anyone else have trouble inducing sleep the night after drinking? Hangovers always seem to mess things up for me.

Oh god, aye.
When I was drinking I'd get horrendous hangovers which was what usually ledme to binge for weeks. Luckily I feel sick when I think of drinking or hangovers now. Even worse, come-downs. And I hope it stays this way. But aye, I would be up all night when hungover just sitting looking through the internet to distract myself from how horrendous and anxiety riddenI felt.
Old 25th April 2020, 07:04

Yet another night of zero sleep.

Watching a terrifying thriller on Netflix, reading non stop news reports about the Pandemic, and my husband snoring loudly, is not conducive to a good night sleep!
Old 25th April 2020, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Now I'm really hungry... fancy some cheesy pizza and coke.
Precisely what I had for tea last night

My sleeping is rubbish at the moment
Old 26th April 2020, 00:44

Mood
Lonely

Last night I had no sleep, had a two hour nap this afternoon and now I can't sleep yet again. I feel really drained but wide awake.
Old 26th April 2020, 02:27

^ Same here
I hope you manage to get some sleep Dimples
Old 26th April 2020, 15:30

Mood
Lonely

Thanks Consolida, I did but it was rather an unsettled sleep. I kept waking up.
I hope you managed to get some as well?