SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 15th June 2009, 00:41

Mood
Mellow

Default SA/ silly things you've done that you can laugh about

Hi guys,

although SA can be excruciating, there are some things I feel driven to do that are so stupid, they're funny. Examples:

While out shopping one day, I noticed a girl walking straight towards me. As I got nearer, she carried on straight towards me. I smiled at her and she smiled back, but still didn't stop. Eventually, we did the weird sidestepping dance that everyone has to do when they're in someone's way, and I said sorry and felt v embarrassed. Only then did I realise I had just apologised to my reflection! I was so glad that nobody was around to see me do this (I checked to make sure)!

When an extension was being made to my house a few years ago, for some reason, there was a wire directly outside the front door. I stepped outside , tripped on the wire, and my shoe flipped off. I was about to hop about looking for it but felt too embarrassed so went inside. A few minutes later, the builder rang the doorbell and asked 'is this your shoe?' my only reply was thank you, with no explanation. It was really surreal as well as embarrassing!

Actually, I kind of hope it's just SA symptoms and not just general idiocy; at least I have made my family laugh with all the silly things I end up doing; there's a very long list though

Would love to hear anyone else's

S
Old 15th June 2009, 01:58

Default Re: SA/ silly things you've done that you can laugh about

years and years ago i was walking under a bridge and this brutish man walking with his g/f started taking the piss out of me. when i was at a safe distance i turned around and screamed 'oi ur mums got a big dick' and legged it. he gave chase but gave up eventually cos i wasn't smoking or drinking as much back then. i guess it was silly cos he might have stabbed me or something if he'd caught me but i got the best of him that night and showed him up for what he was in front of his g/f. i don't recall ever raising my voice to someone in public before or after that event although there has been many opportunities to since then. dunno what possessed me to say it. i just snapped. kinda funny thinking back to it.
Old 15th June 2009, 02:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTY
years and years ago i was walking under a bridge and this brutism man walking with his g/f started taking the piss out of me. when i was at a safe distance i turned around and screamed 'oi ur mums got a big dick' and legged it. he gave chase but gave up eventually cos i wasn't smoking or drinking as much back then. i guess it was silly cos he might have stabbed me or something if he'd caught me but i got the best of him that night and showed him up for what he was in front of his g/f. i don't recall ever raising my voice to someone in public before or after that event although there has been many opportunities to since then. dunno what possessed me to say it. i just snapped. kinda funny thinking back to it.
Wonderful.
Old 15th June 2009, 23:05

Mood
Mellow

lol glad it's not just me then (though I don't drink, so...!)
Old 15th June 2009, 23:13

A minor one from the other day. I tried on a ring in Dorothy Perkins and couldn't get it off, it was a big plasticy thing, in fact I'm not entirely sure why I was trying it on. Anyway I started trying to undo the loop that fixed it to the card and suddenly see blood all over my hands, the metal must have been sharp on the loop. I managed to get it all over the white price label. I ended up having to mention it to one of the shop assistants. She was very helpful, got me a plaster and some moisturiser to get the ring off. I actually didn't feel too SA about it which was good was able to laugh about it with them.
Old 15th June 2009, 23:15

Mood
Paranoid

hahaah good stories :P
Old 16th June 2009, 17:08

Mood
Tired

mine is so pathetic i have to laugh now

when i was at work and was getting more and more poorly i used to sit in my office and listen to my staffs conversations outside my door

whilst in a paranoid state i even opened my window to hear them on their fag breaks

id listen hard to see if someone said anything about me or how i was running the centre

id even hold the phone to look like i was busy

how sad is that?

lol now as im much more stable and i realise how irrational i was being
Old 16th June 2009, 17:20

Heh, there was this one time, at work, and this girl over the deli counter was trying to have a conversation with me whilst I was putting reduction labels on the chicken, and I started to blush furiously, and, as a result, I quickly walked away once she had turned around, and went up to the staff toilets and waited until the redness had died down, panicking about, not only how many people saw me blush, and what they thought about it, but how I was going to face the girl.

Ha... ha...

Old 16th June 2009, 17:45
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Just standard stuff like, when I used to work and I'd finish a task and need to ask for a new one, because I got so scared of asking I'd pretend to do the old task over again. Being too scared to ask for help on a job so doing it wrong and knowing I was doing it wrong but not being able to ask for help. Not saying hello to people at the beginning of the day because I was scared they'd not respond back...

At uni, the first time, the laundry room was very, very busy most of the time, so I took to washing my clothes in my bedroom sink and hanging them to drip dry (no mangle or means of getting the water out, except hanging them over a plastic box in my wardrobe). The rooms smelled awful and so did the clothes, which took over a week to dry...

Many many more but my mind is too addled to recall them.
Old 16th June 2009, 19:50

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousLaura
Just standard stuff like, when I used to work and I'd finish a task and need to ask for a new one, because I got so scared of asking I'd pretend to do the old task over again.
I did that kind of thing when I was at primary school. I was really good at Maths so I used to finish the exercises our teacher set us ages before the other kids. Instead of asking what I should do next, I'd carry on pretending to work until everyone else had finished.

Also, I've always been a fast reader so in any lesson we were asked to read something to ourselves I'd start to re-read it because I thought if I finished first the teacher would be more likely to call on me.
Old 16th June 2009, 20:54

I've done some funny things but I find it hard to laugh about them because I'd probably still do the same thing today.

One thing I used to/still do is if I ever get sent on a course and there's a lunch break or coffee break I will lock myself in the toilets and read a book rather than have to 'network' (believe me, I've tried it, but it's always a disaster!)
Old 16th June 2009, 20:57

On a side note..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousLaura
Not saying hello to people at the beginning of the day because I was scared they'd not respond back...
..omg, that's 100% what I did/still do, I thought it was just me. I'm afriad that if I say hello they'll blank me, or be annoyed at having to reply to me. If I don't say hello I am afraid they will think I am unfriendly and stuck up. Impossible to win
Old 16th June 2009, 21:04

Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsb
I've done some funny things but I find it hard to laugh about them because I'd probably still do the same thing today.

One thing I used to/still do is if I ever get sent on a course and there's a lunch break or coffee break I will lock myself in the toilets and read a book rather than have to 'network' (believe me, I've tried it, but it's always a disaster!)
I had to do that at work the other day! Before my break one of the trainee managers was shadowing me as I did my job. I went up for my break before him, thinking I'd escaped, reading my book & eating my sausage sandwich. Then he came up for his break and INSISTED on sitting with me ("don't worry, you can still read your book." - not really when I'm concentrating so hard on not eating like a pig while reading my book!)

Yeah, so as soon as I finished I went & read in the loo for the rest of my break.
Old 17th June 2009, 12:04

Mood
Shoveit

Last summer I'd just got out of bed and my hair was a mess. Some young teens were playing football out the front of our house and their ball went over the fence into our garden. They rang the doorbell so I hid on the floor on all fours hoping they'd go and not see my head through the window (can't answer the door with messy hair!)

I heard a clang as one of them scaled our side gate to retrieve the ball and I spent another 5 mins crawling from room to room hoping they wouldn't see me and wonder why I'd not answered the door. It felt a bit like a prison break, going under the wire and trying to avoid the searchlights :rolleyes:
Old 17th June 2009, 14:41

Mood
Thinking

I've done the old hiding myself in my bedroom thing as well - I found it worse when it was a stranger like a plumber etc.

I've also hid myself in a toilet too! When I had a part time job at a supermarket I used to buy some snacks from the vending machine on my lunch break and then hide in the toilet cubicle eating my lunch rather than spend it in the staff canteen with colleagues I didn't know or have the confidence to speak to.

Whenever someone used the cubicle next to me I used to occasionally roll down the toilet paper from the holder so not to arouse suspicion! rolfmao its making me laugh just thinking about it now!
Old 17th June 2009, 15:24

Mood
Tired

About 8 or 9 years ago I was on a train between Bristol and Birmingham. It was a very hot day and there was a woman sat across the table from me, about my age and vaguely attractive. She must have been feeling a bit frisky as all of a sudden she started rubbing her foot up and down my leg . Unfortunately and to my eternal regret, me being the chronically socially anxious prude that I was I completely froze and tried to pretend it wasn't happening. She persisted for quite a while but eventually I got up and moved down the train.

Maybe she was just having a bit of fun and it wouldn't neccessarily have led to a bit of hanky-panky in the train toilet . But God how I wish I could go back there now and do things differently and responded to her. (And no doubt I made her feel really bad too by rejecting her like that). Doesn't make me laugh particularly just ... gaaaah!
Old 17th June 2009, 16:11
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattaca
Last summer I'd just got out of bed and my hair was a mess. Some young teens were playing football out the front of our house and their ball went over the fence into our garden. They rang the doorbell so I hid on the floor on all fours hoping they'd go and not see my head through the window (can't answer the door with messy hair!)

I heard a clang as one of them scaled our side gate to retrieve the ball and I spent another 5 mins crawling from room to room hoping they wouldn't see me and wonder why I'd not answered the door. It felt a bit like a prison break, going under the wire and trying to avoid the searchlights :rolleyes:
I did something very similar. I was feeding a neighbours cats while she was on holiday. She'd arranged for her neighbour to water the garden. I was in the house feeding the cats when I noticed the woman in the garden. Panicking I hit the floor and remained there for 20 mins at least, not moving. When the neighbour got back she made a comment (I forget what) that made me realise the other woman had seen me and knew I was hiding on the floor!

I also hide from people who wring the doorbell and have net curtains up on every bit of glass. If it's night time I'll mute the tv but I don't turn off the lights as then they'll know someone is turning off lights, so I sit, completely still, waiting for them to leave.

I hide from workmen too. We had a plumber here and I hid in my bedroom. When the electricians came I pretended to be working hard on my mac, even writing some drivel on the screen to look like I was uber busy...

Also... does anyone else get anxious about asking workmen if they want a cup of tea?
Old 17th June 2009, 18:21
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®@***947;***1638;***1638;***1638;

I hate that. Especially when they fail to realise that I was only being polite and immediately say "Yes, I'd love one, got any biscuits?" And then I find myself forced to chat to them while waiting for the the kettle to boil, politely nodding and agreeing with their casual racism.
You're braver than me, I don't even offer (but chimpy does!)
Old 17th June 2009, 18:28

I used to sometimes avoid coming out of my room when we had visitors when I lived with my parents, I also can relate to that feeling of having left it too long to come out and say hello.
Old 17th June 2009, 18:28
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®@***947;***1638;***1638;***1638;
Oh, I only offer because if I don't, my mother will inevitably ask them, "Did Raymond offer you a cup of tea? Raymond, did you not offer them a cup of tea?"
I think your mum must have gone to the same classes as mine. My mum will do that too. "Why didn't you offer them a cuppa?" (to the men) "Sorry, we're not all that unfriendly" or "I don't know what you must think of us!" and then some overfriendly banter and extra nice mr kiplings cakes to make it up to them. Fortunately my dad is an anti-social bastard so it's just as often him who'd get in trouble.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:10

Mood
Mellow

Yesterday, was forced to go with my family to see some rellies; I ended up calling my uncle "auntie" but he's a bit elderly and his hearing's not the best so I think he didn't notice.

Ditto the hiding from workmen and hate giving them tea. Some of them are so nosy;
'EVERYONE in your house can drive apart from you?!'
and 'you've STILL not got a job?' are some of their annoying questions
Old 18th June 2009, 11:38

i tell myself that the workman is bound to have had a cuppa at every house he visited that morning and so my miserable unsociableness is actually doing him a favour and giving the poor wretch and his bladder a rest.

I may even be a lifesaver come to think of it

hows that for positive thinking
Old 21st June 2009, 05:53

when i was younger and i heard the doorbell ring or a knock, i'd bolt up to my room like a scared rabbit and close the door. once i wasn't fast enough, so i hid in the cupboard, peeking out the cracks, and made my getaway to my room while my dad's friend had his back turned.
i don't remember how old i was when i did this, but i was definitely past the age where it would have been cute.

come to the think of it, i still do this - when my roommate's family comes over to visit, i avoid them in my room while my stomach growls. i wait until the path to the kitchen is clear, then i grab some biscuits to bring back to my room.
i start hoping that they think i'm asleep and that's why i've not come out to say hello...but then after enough time has passed i worry that they think i've been sleeping all day and i'm lazy.
Old 21st June 2009, 05:59

another silly story -
once at uni, i was eating lunch outside when i spilled my salad into my lap - special sauce, meat, feta cheese and all. (that was bad enough, but i was starving so i briefly considered just shoveling my fork into my 'special place' and continuing on.) i looked around embarrassed as i wiped the food off myself and cleaned up. i went to my next class, but couldn't concentrate because i could still smell the scent of cheese wafting up from my shorts! as soon as class ended, i hurried to the toilet to soap up my thighs as inconspicuously as possible.
Old 21st June 2009, 13:40

Mood
Spaced

When I worked I used to go read in the toilets all the time, sometimes I'd get distracted by my book and end up in there for like 20 minutes I'd also hide from people in my department if I saw them in the corridoor by ducking into the stationery cupboard or taking a different staircase.

When I was at uni I failed one module with a 0 because I'd been too shy to ask for help in my work in the supervised labs and couldn't get my head round it on my own (it was C++).

I'm also the same as others with being much worse around old family & family friends, last time we had a big party for my Dad's birthday I went and hid on this little staircase I found but there were these plumbing pipes right next to me, and I'd only been there about 5 minutes before they started randomly making loads of noise and like 3 different groups of people came to investigate and saw me sitting there on my own!
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:21

Mood
Alienated

i used to sit inthe garden when people came round to my mums, living on my own now reduces these problems but makes me feel worse. i used to wait till my neighbour had finished cutting the lawn in the front garden before i went to college., i too didnt ask for help at college and didnt achieve very much. sometimes the anxiety was so bad i used to sit in the toilets.
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:08
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSI
Ditto the hiding from workmen and hate giving them tea. Some of them are so nosy;
'EVERYONE in your house can drive apart from you?!'
and 'you've STILL not got a job?' are some of their annoying questions
My word, I wouldn't respond well to that! You should say you're getting desperate and might have to get a job as a workman!
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:09
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastra
I'm also the same as others with being much worse around old family & family friends, last time we had a big party for my Dad's birthday I went and hid on this little staircase I found but there were these plumbing pipes right next to me, and I'd only been there about 5 minutes before they started randomly making loads of noise and like 3 different groups of people came to investigate and saw me sitting there on my own!
That's very funny. You should have started tapping the pipes. "I'm just testing the pipes!" Sounds like a scene from Fawlty Towers.
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:46

There was this one time when I took this really shitty job on and ended up doing it for years and years...going nowhere...to scared to risk leaving or doing anything else.....getting trapped in a work to pay the bills cycle....eee it does make me laugh when i think about it
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:01

Mood
Mondayblues

Haha there's only one that I can think of that I'm prepared to laugh at. The others were too mortifying.

I remember going to a cafe a couple of years ago with a couple of members of my family and I had a pot of tea brought over to me but they didn't bring me any milk, and I looked around and there wasn't any of those disposable milk tub thingys they normally have near the cutlery and the queue was huge so I didn't want to go and ask for some milk so I just left my tea. Then I think my Mum actually noticed and said 'why haven't you got any milk?' then I think luckily a waiter passed so I asked him instead.

Sorry it's not very funny lol but it's all I could think of.
Closed Thread