Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 2nd December 2006, 11:16

Mood
Sneaky

Default sauk dependence

i keep "jacking in" to sauk as a life-alternative. i don't want to though. i like the place and there is good discussion and people here, but i need to sort my life. i still want to "use" (:1pimp: ) this place, but i need to get a grip, basically.

anyone got any good sauk reduction regimes? i was thinking about limiting use to checking pms each day but only posting every other day. i just seem to sit here rummaging thruogh all the stuff over and over in case i find some way of making "a connection" which i had missed.

so bored, so lonely, so intimidated by all the changes in my life, so scared to face up to all the stuff that is looming over me, so starved of feeling hopeful and/or remotely sane, but vegging on here is not always the answer.

someone tell me you can get sauk patches or gum...
Old 2nd December 2006, 11:24

Mood
Sleepy

Default Re: sauk dependence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullenskink
i keep "jacking in" to sauk as a life-alternative. i don't want to though. i like the place and there is good discussion and people here, but i need to sort my life. i still want to "use" (:1pimp: ) this place, but i need to get a grip, basically.

anyone got any good sauk reduction regimes? i was thinking about limiting use to checking pms each day but only posting every other day. i just seem to sit here rummaging thruogh all the stuff over and over in case i find some way of making "a connection" which i had missed.

so bored, so lonely, so intimidated by all the changes in my life, so scared to face up to all the stuff that is looming over me, so starved of feeling hopeful and/or remotely sane, but vegging on here is not always the answer.

someone tell me you can get sauk patches or gum...
I feel exactly the same. I know if i cut the time i spend on here vegging down i would feel better. Plus when i came on here it would be nicer, becuase i am not doing it so much. I just find it so hard to stay away. So if you do stumble across and sauk gums or patches lend me some :D

Also like you i really do want to keep using this site and the chatrooms, i feel if i quit completely i am cutting my nose of to spite my face (if that makes sense)
Old 2nd December 2006, 11:26

Im addicted to the internet too, though not as badly these days.

For me the internet is great as it's what im like without inhibitions and anxiety.

The downside is it is hiding away and it isnt real life, and anything to excess like that is just shunting problems away rather than dealing with them IMO.

For me iv taken my modem round to my brothers, so i only have access to the net in the evenings - before i was being late for work and everything else because of it!

For me also the net is like a 'path of least resistance' - it's entertainment in the easiest none challenging way, which isnt very good for my character!

So instead now i try to read alot, look into diverse hobbies which will make me more rounded as a person.

On the positive side though, the internet has shown that without inhibitions i can chat away quite well, so in real life i worked with that knowledge in my head in tough situations
Old 2nd December 2006, 11:26

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by markimark
checking pm's everyday? you get pm's? tuh you lucky thing!
yeah, sometimes i do! pretty cool, huh? why, just the other day, i got a nice pm saying that i wasn't allowed to use the c-word, but that they had fixed my post for me so that i wouldn't be breaking the rules anymore - helpful. i pmed them back but haven't heard from them since.

i'm sure it won't last.

by the way, i know it would be helpful in some ways, but i don't want anyone to just tell me to f_ck off

:hidesbehi
Old 2nd December 2006, 11:35

Mood
Dreaming

I've left this site for short periods before. If you're truely addicted (which I am) then the first few days will be TOUGH! Really, they will be! Especially if you go cold turkey like I did. It got easier after about a week.

But if you're not planning to go cold turkey then I'm not so sure. Because then the temptation is still there but you have to limit yourself. I guess just don't go through the whole site checking every thread. Limit yourself to certain key areas (or pms). Maybe it will get easier after a while. The lounge is the danger point for me because I'd always want to reply to all the interesting threads! Hard to resist! So maybe I'd avoid there if I didn't want to get too involved.

Yeah, I don't really have any good advice I guess! But I have myself been trying to cut down lately. It was easier for me though because I was online such a stupid amount of the time I can now stay on loads and still be cutting down! It's possible to log in quickly, see the interesting stuff, then log out again before anything else is updated. Then you've had your dose but can leave comfortably (maybe).
The way that helped me cut down the most was to quit the site completely for a little bit (although wouldn't want you to do this because we don't want you leaving!) then return not posting as much.
Old 2nd December 2006, 19:00

Mood
Pensive

I have no tips as I must be the ultimate addict. I post throughout the day and evening and even when I'm at work. I even dream about the site.
I can't see any signs of wanting to reduce my time until I find something to replace it.
I think falling in love would be the only cure for me.
Old 2nd December 2006, 21:40

Mood
Sneaky

not many people seem to have anything to offer in this thread!

watch this - i'm giong to come offline and go do some tidying! on a saturday night!

amberfirez, i think that i could stop using this completely, but i literally and honestly feel as if talking to people on here is good "practise" for the "real" world in some ways. it's just the time-wasting angle that i want to get in check.
Old 2nd December 2006, 21:57

I'm not so much as addicted to Sauk as I am to the net in general, and no, it's not a healthy relationship. There are only so many times you can circle the same sites until you have to accept you're doing nothing but spinning around on a rather disatisfied carosel.
Closed Thread