SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd December 2012, 12:36

Default "Bad" Work history

As a person with aspergers I fall into the SA umbrella..or at least I have similar problems. Im trying to find a way round the "bad work history problem". I want to be a social worker and could be in 5 years but employers want a full employment history which means I would have to put down about 20 jobs mostly meaningless temp positions that have no bearing on my career now.

This always looks bad to recruiters as they are trained to thing that way. What ways of getting round this have people found? Is anyone here actually a social worker who knows the score?
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:17

Mood
Torn

Default Re: "Bad" Work history

Why don't you go ask for advice, from job centers or if you are in a university then an career advisor or something similar.
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:58

Job centres and advisors dont generally give any real advice. They just tend to say words to the effect of "theres nothing you can do about it...just put your career history down and hope for the best".

Its not that easy Mastermind. Im looking for specific ways to get round the discrimination present due to "bad" work history
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:21

Mood
Melancholy

What is it that you are worried about specifically - the fact that you did lots of jobs, or the fact you didn't stay long at each job, or just the fact they're not relevant?

If it's the latter (not being relevant), there isn't a way around that. Just try and get some relevant work experience in now (I know easier said than done). If it's either of the former could you not summarise them - e.g.
2000 - 2005: Various temporary contract administration roles working for Companies X, Y and Z including duties such as A, B and C.

You should probably spell out anything which is specific/useful though - even if it's not directly in the field, working with people, kids, dealing with disputes, that kind of thing might be worth pointing out (or you can do this in a separate letter or summary of your skills).

Are you looking at doing a degree in Social Work?

Edit: I'm not a social worker, but I work at a university and deal with recruitment and used to deal with admissions to degrees. So I don't know anything specific about the field, just my general advice!
Old 4th December 2012, 09:49

You'd be surprised. There are alot of employers that are really supportive and have alot of empathy and want to give an opportunity. They are after someone who is willing to work hard and ask questions. It doesnt matter about your work history as long as you can describe what you've done in some way. even if its a short course related to the job. That shows insterest in the industry of the job.

the problem with aspergers or being quiet can be the "asking questions" part and showing leadership, the potential is always there but the tendency is to be on the back foot. it can be really crippling for some people.

If you can work on even small improvements then it'll be a great start to launch your career.