SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > SAUK - Main Website
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th November 2019, 15:57

Default quotation notification

could we have a system which notifies us when we have been quoted? sas has had this in place for a long time now afaik. it's really helpful when you get a notification of someone quoting you and what they said in your usercp so you can manage your conversations. does anyone else think this would be a good idea or is this just me?
often I miss stuff particularly if I haven't been online for a while. it would be nice if it could be applied to groups too.

whaddya think?
Old 30th November 2019, 16:01

Default Re: quotation notification

When was the last time this forum was updated? The feature has been on other forums I'm on for years now, it seems to be a pretty basic feature.
Old 30th November 2019, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
When was the last time this forum was updated? The feature has been on other forums I'm on for years now, it seems to be a pretty basic feature.
yea no idea on that. pretty sure a bunch of forums I was using about 5 years ago had this in place as standard. I also thought that a like function would be a good idea to implement as quite often I don't know what to say in reply but feel I would like to acknowledge their contribution in some way. although I do understand that such a function might be fraught with difficulties on a sa forum.
Old 30th November 2019, 17:14

Mood
Relaxed

I suggested implementing the @mention system too, but they thought it was a bad idea. I suggested the same on the SAS forum and they implemented it.

@Jen it's running a version of vBulletin from Feb 2011.
Old 30th November 2019, 17:23

Mood
Cynical

A quotation notification seems like a good idea.
Old 1st December 2019, 09:33

As long as it's something you can opt in/out of.

(It's something I'd opt out of because of pressure to reply, worry that I'd upset people, worry over certain people responding to me, it would be annoying, it would me me feel like I have to keep coming back, it would be annoying etc.)

Didn't someone once say if you have the tap-talk app (<-not its actual name but it something similar!) that it sends you notifications when someone quotes you and it has extra smilies? It used to always, always come up as a pop-up app suggestion when I viewed sauk on my phone and it no longer comes up any more. Maybe because the site isn't secure? Or does it only offer itself up to android users?

Perhaps the first priority, before snazzy ones, should be to please make the site secure. [that wasn't meant to sound sarcastic, sorry ]
Old 2nd December 2019, 19:25

^ Someone has been working on a secure site.

The certificate was last renewed 26th September and will expire a second before midnight on Christmas day. Maybe it won't be too long.
Old 2nd December 2019, 19:53

^ oooh that is good to know. Thank you :]
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
As long as it's something you can opt in/out of.

(It's something I'd opt out of because of pressure to reply, worry that I'd upset people, worry over certain people responding to me, it would be annoying, it would me me feel like I have to keep coming back, it would be annoying etc.)
good idea, sorry I didn't think of that. I respect that not everyone will want to feel pressure to reply. maybe like you say an option to opt in or out?

yea you're right ,a priorities list of things to be done needs to be put in place and getting it secure would be good.
Old 2nd December 2019, 21:20

^ also... sometimes you just want to do a feelings dump into the abyss and (much like an actual dump) you don't really want to look back or be reminded of it

it'd probably be a popular feature... just not really something I'd be interested in! I'm sure other people would want it !
Old 4th January 2020, 21:31

Paul - just noticed that if you click on "Go Advanced" there is an option to subscribe to a thread, so if you're filthy keen to see the responses to a thread then you can get notifications on here or by email. The forum isn't really busy or multi-thread heavy enough for this feature to be worth it though?
Old 4th January 2020, 22:03

I've only just seen this thread, but I do get an e-mail whenever anyone quotes one of my posts (which isn't that often!). Also, when I use Tapatalk, I am automatically subscribed to any thread in which I post, unless I opt out - then I'm notified of any post within that thread.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
Old 4th January 2020, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Paul - just noticed that if you click on "Go Advanced" there is an option to subscribe to a thread, so if you're filthy keen to see the responses to a thread then you can get notifications on here or by email. The forum isn't really busy or multi-thread heavy enough for this feature to be worth it though?
thanks, i'll give that a try