SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th November 2012, 16:40

Mood
Alienated

Red face Um, hello...

Hi everyone, I'm a 22 year old uni student who has had SA for as long as I can remember. I just came here to meet people like me, as I thought it would make me feel less of a weirdo and a fool. I only realised that I wasn't a weirdo (well, hopefully) last year because of a module we were studying which detailed SA and other anxiety disorders, and I immediately matched all the symptoms to myself. It made me feel slightly better knowing that I was not alone.

I just feel I am at the end of my tether right now though with the SA, and I just don't know what to do. The feeling of indecision burdens me constantly throughout my life, but right now I really want to deal with the SA but I just have no idea what to do. It interferes so much with uni and work, and my self-esteem is so low that I find myself blushing in the most inappropriate and un-embarrassing situation

I look forward to chatting to people who feel the same. Hopefully a problem shared is a problem halved. And it helps that we all can empathise with each other, as others just don't seem to understand, as much as they do try.

Emma x
Old 16th November 2012, 17:00

Mood
Stressed

Default Re: Um, hello...

Hi Emma,

Welcome to the forum. I've just joined, too and was just about to start my own intro thread when I saw yours, and I thought what the hell it'd be more fun to hijack hers and steal all the attention for myself.

No, not really. Apart from the fact that I clearly never grew up, I just wanted to say that you're not alone and I, too, arrived here to learn some things about what I believe to be a long history of SA.

Well, after 20+ years of trying to figure this out with [frankly, useless] GP's, my newest solution is to try this forum to see if I can learn from others and see how they handle it.

Anyway, that's enough about me for now I should probably start my own intro thread.

Old 16th November 2012, 17:09

Mood
Alienated

Hehe, hi NotMe. You go for it and steal the show...God knows, you sound far more interesting and have a sense of humour
x
Old 16th November 2012, 17:13

Welcome Guys
Old 16th November 2012, 18:23

Mood
Crappy

Hi Emma I recently joined to i've been looking at this site for about a month or so but didn't know what to write so it stopped me from joining, a lot of people on here seem to have figured out at a fairly young age that there was something wrong it took me till now to figure it out and I'm 33. Have you been to the doctors?
Old 16th November 2012, 19:00

Mood
Stressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissE7000
Hehe, hi NotMe. You go for it and steal the show...
I like you already. You can go harp on in mine now to get even.

Quote:
God knows, you sound far more interesting and have a sense of humour x
More interesting than you? No no. I can see why you'd think that but really it's just that you're more mature than me even though you're 16yrs younger.

I did appreciate the flattery all the same, though.
Old 16th November 2012, 19:23

Hello and welcome to the forum
Old 16th November 2012, 19:24

Mood
Bored

Hi Emma welcome to forum no you are not a lone far from it plenty of people in same boat here to help and support you
Old 16th November 2012, 19:46

Mood
Alienated

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

And NotMe, you keep putting a smile on my face, it is hard for me to imagine someone as humorous as yourself being socially anxious

Hi Benny. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't know what the problem was; I had been studying Psychology for four years and didn't know either. It doesn't exactly get coverage anywhere does it? You have to go searching for answers yourself.

I went to the doctors a few months ago for some medication as a last resort. I was petrified and immediately started shaking, sweating and blushing, so he prescribed propranalol which I could take before work. It was, I thought, my last option. I had tried going to a counsellor in college (who just laughed at me, confirming my worst fears), I went to a private practise therapist (who spoke to me in a manner which was patronising) and have tried online therapy and self help books. Nothing works. I'm trying to build up the courage to phone psychological services via the NHS but I'm so scared I can't even use the phone . How are you dealing with it?

Em x
Old 16th November 2012, 19:53
Banned

Location: Cloudbase, currently hovering over the Wesht Midlands

Warmest of welcomes to you both! Come in out of the cold. I suggest small steps at first. Does your uni have a student run counciling service that you can call and talk to another student, might be easier and practice for phoning the NHS?
Old 16th November 2012, 19:54

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Grey
Warmest of welcomes to you both! Come in out of the cold.
Yes please!
Old 16th November 2012, 19:55

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

And NotMe, you keep putting a smile on my face, it is hard for me to imagine someone as humorous as yourself being socially anxious

Hi Benny. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't know what the problem was; I had been studying Psychology for four years and didn't know either. It doesn't exactly get coverage anywhere does it? You have to go searching for answers yourself.

I went to the doctors a few months ago for some medication as a last resort. I was petrified and immediately started shaking, sweating and blushing, so he prescribed propranalol which I could take before work. It was, I thought, my last option. I had tried going to a counsellor in college (who just laughed at me, confirming my worst fears), I went to a private practise therapist (who spoke to me in a manner which was patronising) and have tried online therapy and self help books. Nothing works. I'm trying to build up the courage to phone psychological services via the NHS but I'm so scared I can't even use the phone . How are you dealing with it?

Em x
You got laughed at? What an arsehole. You could try using some herbs alongside your beta blockers, that will help.
Old 16th November 2012, 19:59

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoretic
You got laughed at? What an arsehole. You could try using some herbs alongside your beta blockers, that will help.
Yea I know. And being only 17 I thought I must have been stupid or something for her to laugh in my face.

What kind of herbs are you thinking of?

Thanks,

Em x
Old 16th November 2012, 20:17

Quote:
Yea I know. And being only 17 I thought I must have been stupid or something for her to laugh in my face.

What kind of herbs are you thinking of?

Thanks,

Em x
Valerian and Skullcap is what I use, take them both at the same time, and same dose. I love this stuff, makes me feel relaxed, physically and mentally.

Passion Flower is another one you can use with Valerian too though. There's loads more for different things, like if you have issues with your heart I can recommend you other stuff too.

Just get tinctures! And make sure it's at least 1:3 ratio. Tinctures are the best thing for these types of herbs.
Old 16th November 2012, 20:19

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoretic
Valerian and Skullcap is what I use, take them both at the same time, and same dose. I love this stuff, makes me feel relaxed, physically and mentally.

Passion Flower is another one you can use with Valerian too though. There's loads more too for different things, like if you have issues with your heart I can recommend you other stuff too.

Just get tinctures! And make sure it's at least 1:3 ratio. Tinctures are the best thing for these types of herbs.
Thanks.

Where do you get them from, like Holland and Barretts or somewhere?
Old 16th November 2012, 20:20

Nope, I'll PM you.
Old 16th November 2012, 20:56

hi Emma
Old 16th November 2012, 20:58

Mood
Alienated

Hello am1000
Old 16th November 2012, 21:01

Mood
Balanced

Hello Emma (like the name) Welcome to the Forum! Hope you benefit from it!
Old 16th November 2012, 22:06

Mood
Alienated

Hi cymruambyth and thanks, I hope so too. Do you feel you've benefited from the site?

Em x
Old 16th November 2012, 22:35

Mood
Crappy

I deal with it by doing nothing I'm more ashamed of telling people about it, my sa is not as bad as most people over time I have got less anxious around people but for some reason I fear social events more so I tend to stay in now, I've always been depressed though so I try to only watch things on tv that are funny, keeps me a bit more sane
Old 16th November 2012, 22:42

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny79
I deal with it by doing nothing I'm more ashamed of telling people about it, my sa is not as bad as most people over time I have got less anxious around people but for some reason I fear social events more so I tend to stay in now, I've always been depressed though so I try to only watch things on tv that are funny, keeps me a bit more sane
Have you ever told anyone then? I've never told family or friends, only the doctor. I think I'm on the verge of telling my uni tutor who must think I'm a silly fool for getting embarrassed when talking to him. Maybe you would feel better if you told a doctor, get them to refer you or prescribe meds. It will be hard to tell them, but hopefully it would be worth it in the end.

For depression, doing things which keep you positive are the best idea. When I was in school I used to sit on my floor with a pair of scissors and a razor blade listening to some really depressing music. I think the music made me even worse. If I were listening to the Spice Girls or whatever I may have not used the blades and my mind may have been saved. Who knows. So it's good that you think comedy helps.

Em x
Old 17th November 2012, 02:02

Mood
Nerdy

Hey there and welcome to the site, How you finding coping with the SA within Uni, I'm still finding it hard there now :/ I'm slowly starting to get better but lets just wait and see Hope you enjoy this site!
Old 17th November 2012, 09:44

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilson
Hey there and welcome to the site, How you finding coping with the SA within Uni, I'm still finding it hard there now :/ I'm slowly starting to get better but lets just wait and see Hope you enjoy this site!
Hi, and thanks.

I'm terrible at uni really. So painfully self-aware of everything. How my jeans cling to my legs or how my arms hang by my sides, it's just terribly uncomfortable. When I'm in a lecture I can't speak, even though I know the answer. And when I need to see a lecturer about something, I can barely meet their eye and start stuttering, so the words that come out are not what I had so eloquently phrased in my mind. It sucks

What have you been doing to make the SA better?

Em x
Old 17th November 2012, 11:51

Mood
Crappy

I've never told anyone its been a matter of months since I realised I had sa I had another issue in my life which made me depressed and avoid society it was only after I sorted that out I still wasn't right so looked on the internet and sa was me. I haven't done anything about my sa I have loads of ideas but I never end up doing anything, I can't take meds either
Old 17th November 2012, 11:52

Mood
Nerdy

Quote:

What have you been doing to make the SA better?
Trying to put myself in situations which I don't like to try and make me cope Doesn't really work as such but its a start, I found that CBT and medication didn't really work for me so... :/ But around uni I have people that help me out through the week which really helps alot.
Old 17th November 2012, 11:55

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilson
Trying to put myself in situations which I don't like to try and make me cope Doesn't really work as such but its a start, I found that CBT and medication didn't really work for me so... :/ But around uni I have people that help me out through the week which really helps alot.
They tell you to do all these things which don't work. I put myself in a situation I hate all the time and it has just exacerbated the problem I think. It's a shame that CBT didn't work, have you tried interpersonal therapy?

Em x
Old 17th November 2012, 11:56

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny79
I've never told anyone its been a matter of months since I realised I had sa I had another issue in my life which made me depressed and avoid society it was only after I sorted that out I still wasn't right so looked on the internet and sa was me. I haven't done anything about my sa I have loads of ideas but I never end up doing anything, I can't take meds either
What do you think it would take to enable you to do something about it? Having a friend or someone to confide in or go with you?

Em x
Old 17th November 2012, 13:57

Mood
Nerdy

Quote:
They tell you to do all these things which don't work. I put myself in a situation I hate all the time and it has just exacerbated the problem I think. It's a shame that CBT didn't work, have you tried interpersonal therapy?

Em x
Not entirely sure, there was a fair few different sessions that I went through, it sounds like something that I have done, not couldn't say for sure.
Old 17th November 2012, 14:50

Mood
Crappy

My major problem is talking to people, constantly thinking negative thoughts about myself and enduring social events, what I need is a kick up the bum and force myself into these situations that is the only way I'll overcome them. Therapy probably wouldn't help because I'm so negative I wouldn't listen to them and resort back to my miserable self, I suppose talking on here's a start. How have you been?