SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 21st January 2014, 15:04

Default Re: Random Questions (2)

^don't do it facebooks evil, tracks far to much of your info and what you click on. i deleted mine after it kept suggesting i should add my mother as a friend!
Old 21st January 2014, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveGirl
How do you join facebook if you've no one you could add?
I last had an account in 2006 , can't stand the site and prefer twitter but i'm trying to push myself so looking at all routes
I'm not sure if that was a rhetorical question but you can go through the set-up process without adding anyone. Just skip all the prompts that appear.
Old 21st January 2014, 17:05

Mood
Bored

Do the chickens have large talons?
Old 24th January 2014, 20:17

Just wanted to know people's opinions on this...

For an assignment on my university course, I have group work to do. One of the group members has booked a room in the library one day for 12 hours (!!). He has said there will be plenty of breaks, but even so, isn't that rather excessive?? And for me to have a decent break, I need to be on my own in my own personal space. I can't imagine I would be able to get through 12 hours in the library.

He is a nice person, however I'm not very good at confronting people, and I know he will try and make me feel guilty about not wanting to stay that long.
Old 24th January 2014, 21:08

^ Seems OTT to me, does he seriously expect to use it for the entire 12 hours (with breaks of course)? And also, you make it sound like he's almost in charge, obviously there's usually one member who tries to lead things and organise stuff in group projects (I remember that being me in one group at uni amazingly), but he is just another student isn't he, so its not like he can control you or anything, bar perhaps guilt trip you into staying the whole time cause he booked it?

Can you just say you have other plans at some point so can't stay the whole time, or just say you feel you're more productive working on your own with your own personal space?
Old 24th January 2014, 23:41

Thanks for the replies

I think I'll say to him I can only do about 6-8 hours, as I have other things to do, and suggest another time to meet up. 12 hours is just too much!
Old 26th January 2014, 15:52

How long is it before a thread gets automatically closed on here due to inactivity?
Old 26th January 2014, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyh
How long is it before a thread gets automatically closed on here due to inactivity?
They don't get closed due to inactivity as far as I know.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:55

Mood
Cool

Quick question about skirts.

Is a mini skirt only a mini skirt if it's skin tight?

Could this count as a mini skirt?

Old 26th January 2014, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal

Could this count as a mini skirt?

Microskirt I have several plaid ones.
Old 26th January 2014, 23:54

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosenrot
Microskirt I have several plaid ones.
Ahh OK. I'm not the sort of bloke who's into woman's clothes so forgive my naivety.
Old 29th January 2014, 20:38

Mood
Cool

Question for the girls about proper compliment etiquette.

When is it OK or acceptable to give a compliment? Perhaps to put it another way when, and who from, are you happy to receive a compliment? For example if a stranger in the street made a pleasant comment would that be well received or if someone you barely know said something nice would you take it well or think "creep"?

Presumably it depends on how sincere that person is and how well you know them!?
Old 2nd February 2014, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
Question for the girls about proper compliment etiquette.

When is it OK or acceptable to give a compliment? Perhaps to put it another way when, and who from, are you happy to receive a compliment? For example if a stranger in the street made a pleasant comment would that be well received or if someone you barely know said something nice would you take it well or think "creep"?

Presumably it depends on how sincere that person is and how well you know them!?
i'd find it sweet whoever complimented me whether its a friend, stranger or someone I like.
Old 2nd February 2014, 14:46

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandapop
i'd find it sweet whoever complimented me whether its a friend, stranger or someone I like.
Quote:
^^ I had a wee incident around Christmas. I didn't feel flattered , more "wtf" and slightly creeped but it depends on the man/woman and your definition of "pleasant" comment.

A long shot but is anyone here into health type topics?
I'd like to know the difference between an allergic reaction and an intolerance if no bloodwork is done.
It seems to vary from girl to girl. I wonder if confidence in both the giver and the receiver is a factor as well.

Cavegirl according to my mum (a former nurse) the difference is tiny but basically an allergic reaction means you are actually allergic to it. An intolerance means you'll simply won't tolerate it (a lesser version basically).
Old 2nd February 2014, 14:56

Quote:
I'd like to know the difference between an allergic reaction and an intolerance if no bloodwork is done.
allergic reaction is usually tested by a skin prick test isn't it?

intolerance would be things like different foods so you'd just try ruling them out one by one?
Old 6th February 2014, 16:15

I have a 'group interview assessment' for a job tomorrow. It's for an office job, so I'm not entirely sure what it could possibly involve in this test? I thought these group things were more for retail work. As anyone had anything like this before? And if yes what did you have to do?

Also, it's a place which is out of town, and I'd need to take two buses, taking over an hour to get there. It's a modestly paid job too. I'm not going to be moving there if I got it because it's in the middle of nowhere so this commute will be my life. Is that really worth it? I'm having doubts tbh
Old 6th February 2014, 16:24

Is the job based within a call centre? I assume the skills involved for such a job would have a lot of crossover with the skills expected in retail (e.g. communication, customer service) so that might be why it's a group interview that is taking place.

A common thing that I've had to do in group interviews is talk to the person next to me, find out stuff about them (could be anything) and then relay that information to the rest of the group. I guess it's meant to show, as I mentioned above, how good your communication skills and how generally personable you are. The person you might be talking to will probably also be nervous, so don't worry too much about your SA becoming obvious.
Old 6th February 2014, 17:18

Nah it's not a call centre job. I wouldn't have applied for a job like that lol. Maybe it has some phone work elements I'm not sure.

If I have to do all that 'talk to the person next to me, find something interesting and blah blah blah' then I'm going to truly hate that. I'm not sure I want to take 2 bus trips to experience this lol.
Old 6th February 2014, 21:19

is there an app on the market that enables you to broadcast what music you are listening to to those around you? if not there should be, you could be sat on a train or bus or something and it'd just randomly pick up on music played by others and let you listen to the same. like a mobile last fm. guess it would depend on what your mobile internet speeds were. no good where i live unless the music was broadcast from the other persons phone via blue tooth or something.
Old 6th February 2014, 23:03

^ Only a little bit. It's not really a conscious thing, but a happy, cheerful avatar will generally make a person's posts seem more cheerful, while a moody or angry looking avatar will have the opposite effect. It's really just me reacting to the picture I'm seeing in the same way that I would react to someone's facial expressions.

It doesn't really matter once I become familiar with someone though. I've seen enough of your posts that your avatar won't much affect how I feel about your posts.
Old 6th February 2014, 23:21

It's always a good thing to see someone's real face in their avatar. And you definitely don't have anything to worry about regarding your appearance.
Old 6th February 2014, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_
Do you feel different about a person's posts, or even that person overall, depending on their avatar?
Yes I do, I would say.
Some random negative images I can find off-putting, and probably have a semi subconscious affect on me. And I guess positive or funny avatars help create a good impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP James
It's always a good thing to see someone's real face in their avatar. And you definitely don't have anything to worry about regarding your appearance.
Me too, I always find it good to see who's talking.
Old 6th February 2014, 23:38

Why are so many of the land-masses south-facing points (South America, Africa, India etc)?
Old 6th February 2014, 23:43

^ Gravity pulls them down
Old 6th February 2014, 23:45

It looks like someone put the world up before all the continents had set properly.
Old 6th February 2014, 23:50

^ Must be just happenstance really.

It's good how you can see how South America used to fit against Africa and India was joined onto Madagascar and they fitted onto southern Africa.
Old 10th February 2014, 00:08

Didn't want to hijack another thread, so...

I hope this question isn't offensive at all.

Do people from Newcastle, Birmingham, Scotland etc all naturally have the local accent? I'm talking about people who are born in bred in those areas. Are there born and bred people there who actually don't have the local accent? Is it just a stereotype?

The reason I ask is...since coming to uni and telling people I'm from Essex, they react surprised that I don't have the accent. Well, I don't think Essex really has a local accent, and there are 'born and bred' people like me from Essex who don't really have the accent (although I might have a hint of it in my accent) but some stereotypes on the TV seem to have given people that impression.
Old 10th February 2014, 01:58

Mood
Dreaming

^ There can be a great variety of accents even in small towns and areas. There were a few different accents amongst people in my school growing up even though we were all raised in the same area. The people I've met from Essex didn't really sound any different from me (I'm from West London) and didn't have the stereotypical accent. People just see things on tv and jump to conclusions.
Old 10th February 2014, 23:22

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Fyre
^ There can be a great variety of accents even in small towns and areas. There were a few different accents amongst people in my school growing up even though we were all raised in the same area. The people I've met from Essex didn't really sound any different from me (I'm from West London) and didn't have the stereotypical accent. People just see things on tv and jump to conclusions.
Plus I think accents can be learned. Down here we have what is sometimes locally referred to as a fake cockney accent which seems to have been picked up by some locals due to watching too much Michael Caine.
Old 23rd February 2014, 19:53

Mood
Shoveit

Why is humour such an important factor in forming relationships and friendships. What's the evolutionary/cultural reasoning? Is it simply a matter of miserable people are more likely to have something wrong with them so we evolved to avoid them?
Closed Thread