SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 14th February 2007, 16:41

Default Dr Richards' CCBT tape series for treating SA

Hello
I feel a bit insensitive starting a new thread after reading the tragic news about Insomniac Extraordinaire, but like a few members pointed out, I hope this tragedy can spur us on to try and beat this awful disorder, for ourselves and in memory of Insomniac Extraordianaire.
I only came across this webite and the term SA a couple of weeks ago, and it was a huge relief to finally be able to 'label' my problems.
I still feel way too scared to go to any therapy groups yet (I hope I can build up to this tho'), but I have been doing a lot of research on the internet into threatment options.
I came across the Social Anxiety Institute website (www.socialanxietyinstitute.org) and a CCBT (Comprehensive CBT) audio tape series specifically tailored to help overcome SA, made by a Psychologist who has actually overcome SA himself - surely the best advertisment! It is made up of 20 'sessions' and what sounds good is that he gives you 'homework', strategies and techniques to work on every day.
I just wondered if anyone has tried this tape series and if they found it helpful?
Thanks,
Holly
Old 14th February 2007, 18:05
Banned (by own request)

Default Re: Dr Richards' CCBT tape series for treating SA

Someone started the same thread just the other day.

http://www.social-anxiety-community....light=richards
Old 15th February 2007, 13:17

Mood
Inspired

Default Re: Dr Richards' CCBT tape series for treating SA

THis question comes up regurlary . over the yearrs of this site people seem to have agreed that he is very genuine and his system CAN work and has helped some members of this site including myself. The draw back is (you knew there would be some!) that it is fairly expensive and only suitable for people who are highly self motivated to keep working at the repetitive homework

ps he is American and now having met a few Americans I begin to realise that their culture is slightly different so that although some US self help guides are excellent they may not be quite so useful for people in Europe.
Closed Thread