SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 12th February 2007, 21:19

Default martial arts and consciousness

Don't know if I will get any replies to this but does anyone on here who has done/is doing a martial art have any thoughts on the mystical/spiritual side to them. I know karate has been called "moving zen" for example...but why? As I understand it, the idea seems to be that in day to day life we experience ourselves as an I/ego 'in here', inside the body looking out. In martial arts and yoga this body/mind split is somehow overcome. I guess I mean how do martial arts relate to consciousness transformation?
Old 12th February 2007, 22:28

Default Re: martial arts and consciousness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
Don't know if I will get any replies to this but does anyone on here who has done/is doing a martial art have any thoughts on the mystical/spiritual side to them. I know karate has been called "moving zen" for example...but why? As I understand it, the idea seems to be that in day to day life we experience ourselves as an I/ego 'in here', inside the body looking out. In martial arts and yoga this body/mind split is somehow overcome. I guess I mean how do martial arts relate to consciousness transformation?
Have you ever been to Geof Thompsons website: http://www.geoffthompson.com/

He has some nice articles that should get you thinking

Great bloke
Old 12th February 2007, 22:39

Thanks LonelyGuy I'll give that a look.
Old 12th February 2007, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
Thanks LonelyGuy I'll give that a look.
No worries, you should pay special attention to Geoffs 'Ten Must Read Articles' (click the link above, and then look to the right of the page)

'There Is No Land Rover' is one of my faves
Old 13th February 2007, 01:42

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyGuy
Have you ever been to Geof Thompsons website: http://www.geoffthompson.com/

He has some nice articles that should get you thinking

Great bloke
Could not agree more, top bloke is Geoff.
Old 13th February 2007, 12:26
Banned (by own request)

I don't know about 'mystical' or 'spiritual'. Definitions of those words vary wildy. Buddhist practice though, especially Zen, can be very logical, simply raising awareness to the life that surrounds you rather than been carried away in the thoughts that occupy your mind on a daily basis.

The martial arts come very close to the practice of meditation. When you meditate, you focus on something that is real and not internal to your imagination. In martial arts, you focus on something that is real and not internal to your meditation.

For example, you probably have an impression of someone meditating, sitting on the floor with their legs screwed up into some cringeworthy position. That's a stereotypical example, but there are many different types, such as walking meditation. You don't have to have your legs screwed up to be mindfull of your surroundings. Just like walking meditation, the martial arts can be very meditative. Watch the slow, calculated movements of Kung Fu, those people have a lot of focus on what they're doing. Very mindfull.

Don't get me wrong, it can be very different, but also very much the same.

Quote:
As I understand it, the idea seems to be that in day to day life we experience ourselves as an I/ego 'in here', inside the body looking out.
Meditation is always the most important part of Buddhist practice. It allows you to observe reality, and in turn observe the ego, which will have a knock on effect in your day to day life.

It is often the case that people can use meditation as a form of escape and barely carry it over into the rest of their lives, but that depends on how much effort you put into transferring it over into your life. The same rules apply in Buddhism and the martial arts.

Quote:
I guess I mean how do martial arts relate to consciousness transformation?
In short, through raising your awareness.

Personally, I would have thought that Kung Fu was generally more meditative than Karate, because to me, the movements are so much more fluent and require more slow focus. I would assume that Karate was reffered to as 'moving zen' because they are both of Japanese origin.
Old 13th February 2007, 12:27

Bruce lee was very influenced by J Krishnamurti apparantly...I dont know a lot about martial arts and Its very easy to misunderstand what krishnamurti was saying and to try and live without a single thought in your head....um youd be dead.
My ' thoughts on the sense of being a person' thread in the basement attempts to get to the heart of the very issue you are raising...although my written communication skills are sorely lacking I admit.
Old 13th February 2007, 12:31

Ooo hello Mico...you got in just before me as I was typing with your far more sensible advice as usual
Old 13th February 2007, 12:43
Banned (by own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr biscuits.
Ooo hello Mico...you got in just before me as I was typing with your far more sensible advice as usual
Not sure about that. You should check out the thread Mr Biscuits made. Not sure how well you'll understand it, depending on how much an understanding you have on the subject, but it makes perfect sense.
Closed Thread