SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 12th February 2007, 22:17

Mood
Brooding

Default Jump We Might As Well Jump

I can not understand why i have these unwanted thoughts everytime i go out and there is something high like a shopping mail i will actually look down and think this is high enough i don't know why i do it i do even when i am happy it's unwanted and weird
Old 12th February 2007, 22:31

Default Re: Jump We Might As Well Jump

I get the same thing, although it's with trains. Even if I'm having an ok day or whatever there's still that voice telling you the opportunity's there.

Not pleasant
Old 12th February 2007, 22:40

I had the same thought on Saturday even though I would not do it.
Actually I get a lot of bad thoughts which just come from nowhere - i dont know why either.. I just try to ignore them and not think about them too much.. they are not what i really want to do..
Old 12th February 2007, 23:04

Mood
Lucky

I've always had the 'jumping off heights' thing. Also get massive urges to chuck myself in front of cars, buses and especially juggernauts. And I don't even want to get started on blades.

Another bit of advice for places NOT to go is the Royal Armouries in Leeds. It's pretty damned tall inside and they have these walkways connecting the upper floors with glass sides and handrails that are only about 3/3.5 foot high(!) and easily climb over-able. Got massive death urges aplenty, last time I went.
Old 12th February 2007, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyskittles
definitely don't go to the Metrocentre in Newcastle then; it evokes those kinds of feelings big-time.

but yeah... busy roads, trains, ferries, cliffs (unfortunately i only have to look out of my window for temptation), high buldings... they all have the same effect. though it's not as if i would ever act upon those impulses; i hope you don't either.
hey skittles i was born in gateshead and lived there until i went to uni so i know what you mean about the metrocentre unfortunately i now live in birmingham - the bullring shopping centre is 3 levels high here arghh

where do you live in newcastle?
Old 13th February 2007, 14:06

Mood
Balanced

Lightbulb Re: Jump We Might As Well Jump

i get that kind of .feeling sometimes when i'm really down and waiting for a train. i think why not jump infront of one of those fast trains. then think what if i didnt die straight away and; shit, that wud be a messy death
Old 13th February 2007, 14:14
Banned (by own request)

It's a pretty standard OCD thought. In fact the jumping thought is present in a lot of people I think, walking across bridges, etc.

I always remember a comedy sketch. There's these two workers sitting up in the steel girders of a half erected building, eating their bait. One of them says to the other:

'You know, Tom, do you ever get that urge, you know when you're sitting up here, looking down, do you ever feel an urge inside to just do it....you know....push someone off!'

The OCD thoughts though, they can consist of all kinds. A common one is having a fear of harming people with knives. It's not that anyone ever actually does these things, it's more a fear of them.
Old 14th February 2007, 00:17
Birdsworth

I can really relate to this thread

In 1994, when I was 18, I jumped from the top of a multi-storey car park. The building was a notorious suicide spot and no-one who had jumped it had lived, so as far as I was concerned survival wasnt an option....

However, a car that was parked underneath broke my fall and saved my life. I broke my pelvis in 12 places, fractured my right hip and right thigh bone and the T12 bone in my back. I also had septacaemia, jaundice and double pneumonia all at the same point, at one stage.

I know I am lucky to be alive and most days I appreciate it. But every now and then, when the pain is becoming too much to bear, I wonder if I would've been better off dead. There is no hope for improvement - I will steadily get worse until I am completely wheelchair bound.

Please dont do it!

p.s Sorry to anyone who has heard 'my story' before.
Closed Thread