SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 12th February 2007, 15:04

Default moving house while on benefits

Hi guys

Has anyone ever moved house while on jobseekers or other benefits and if so, what is the procedure and is it hard. I'm trying to move to london and instead of waiting for a job I would move down while on benefits if I had a place to go to. I cannot risk moving down privately as I will be paying for accomadation without any garanteed income.

I've searched the internet and there is no real info on this issue. Hostels will only take homeless people or thosse with problems while I'm just a young professional who wants to relocate.

kasper
Old 12th February 2007, 15:14

Default Re: moving house while on benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper5
Hi guys

Has anyone ever moved house while on jobseekers or other benefits and if so, what is the procedure and is it hard. I'm trying to move to london and instead of waiting for a job I would move down while on benefits if I had a place to go to. I cannot risk moving down privately as I will be paying for accomadation without any garanteed income.

I've searched the internet and there is no real info on this issue. Hostels will only take homeless people or thosse with problems while I'm just a young professional who wants to relocate.

kasper
Have you called the benefits agency of the area you intend moving to?

Whenever I move (albeit within the same area) all I do is fill out the relevant change of circumstance forms and take them to the benefits agency (dont forget to obtain a full receipt from the darlings before leaving lol)

It could be the case that if you are moving to a new area, the office there will have to start your claim from afresh, which will mean filling out all the forms and suchlike

The only way is to contact you new benfits agency directly

I would suggest the following:

Go here: http://www.youreable.com and ask your question again in their forum (click here), if you need benefits advice, it is THE BEST forum

They are run by friendly, HEAVILLY knowledgable folks (many of whom are ex benefits workers) and will answer any question quickly

I have found they will actually give you more advice than the clowns at a lot of the benefits agencies

Good luck
Old 12th February 2007, 15:18
Moody Mare

Ive always had somewhere to stay or people to share rent before going off on a whim. You could try a swap if you are HA or council, people are always wanting out of London but most of the accomodation seems to be flats. Then you have the outskirts like Romford kent etc which isnt a long commute into London. Try here http://www.exchangeforum.co.uk/exchanges/index.php

We are currently in a similar situation to you wanting a fresh start, also have a word with the job centry they can advise you on jobs etc if you are willing to relocate too.
Old 14th February 2007, 13:35

Thanks guys. I've had a word with the council housing people in City of London and the waiting list is...5 years. I am low priority. I'm putting an ad on exchange forum for someone to come to live in my room and thus cover most of my rent for a London flat but I don't give it much chance of success.

My only real hope is to land a job in London then move down privately. This is hard to do despite modern communications because you can't pop into offices and meet people personally but I'll keep trying.

kasper
Old 14th February 2007, 16:18

I'm on benefits and rent privately, all paid by Housing Benefit.

There's a useful website http://www.hbaccepted.co.uk which lists benefit friendly landlords/agencies. It's not a huge list but many are in London.
Of course, you would need deposit/rent in advance, some councils have special schemes that help with this, plus there's the social fund.

good luck
Old 14th February 2007, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper5
Thanks guys. I've had a word with the council housing people in City of London and the waiting list is...5 years. I am low priority. I'm putting an ad on exchange forum for someone to come to live in my room and thus cover most of my rent for a London flat but I don't give it much chance of success.

My only real hope is to land a job in London then move down privately. This is hard to do despite modern communications because you can't pop into offices and meet people personally but I'll keep trying.

kasper
Mate, that - as far as I'm aware - isnt your only option

I was made homeless four years ago, afterwhich I headed to the local housing dept wherein I was told I - as a chronic OCD self harming bi Polar case - was low priority (they said in front of my best mate, that if I had been a single mum or asylum seeker I would have been fine, but whatever) and all they could offer me was a scummy B&B [of which] the woman advisor said 'I wouldnt go near it' LOL

So, that was it I thought, but not quite

By this I mean, the council may have ****ed you off insofar as locating and providing a place for you, but if you find yourself a flat/one bed house they will still grant you housing benefit

What you need to do is find yourself a flat or one bedroom house (I believe the council will pay the rent to cover a one bedroomed gaff for a single person)

Then you need to ask the estate agent/landlord if they will entertain an application from someone on benefits (many wont, some will) you need to find a friendly one LOL

The next problem you will have, is that most agents require a sum upfront for a background check/admin charge (approx £150 and you could fail the check if you have heavy credit problems etc) and then, once you pass the background check, they also require a months rent in deposit plus another month in advance (for me, this meant I had to borrow nigh on £1000 from a mate)

The council/benefits office wont want to know about this 'upfront' money, they will give you no loans to cover it (although you could ask about a crisis loan etc) so if you have it yourself, great

Basically, if you can find a property, the cash for the deposit/admin checks etc, and a cool agent, THEN the social will help you with housing benefit etc from whence you have got everything else sorted out yourself

So, you need to get yourself on to some estate agent websites for your new area, and call them
Old 15th February 2007, 11:03

A homeowning guarantor can be useful. I had one CCJ show up on my credit check but, thankfully, they overlooked it as my brother-in-law stood as guarantor.
Old 25th February 2009, 20:30

the benefit system may have changed since i was on them but the problem i found was that it took a while for housing benefit to come through and so depends on your landlord, if they are prepared to wait for the rent. also alot of landlords dont want dss but that may well have changed with buy to let entrepreneurs in trouble. good luck
Old 25th February 2009, 21:28

Mood
Thinking

Only skimmed through these posts, so apologies........

I am applying for re-housing, as I intend to move away from my parents into some dirty, scummy council house provided by Manchester City Council.

I am on Incapacity/Income Support.........

Not sure why I'm replying to be axact, as I don't have any opinions either way about this, but I thought I'd join the club anyway........ If u'll be willing to have me as a member, that is? lol

Closed Thread