SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 29th January 2018, 23:07

Mood
Pensive

Default Last CBT session ?

Are you supposed to get your CBT therapist a card or chocolate on the last session. I don't know if it will look weird or am I supposed too?
She has helped me and not made me feel embarrassed about the things I've told her but I don't know if I should write a thank you card.
Sorry for stupid question has anyone else?
Old 30th January 2018, 06:50

Default Re: Last CBT session ?

I sent a thank you card in the post after my last counselling session.
Old 30th January 2018, 15:24

There was one therapist that I once saw for a quite a long period and during a somewhat informal part of the session he was talking about how he felt therapy was often a bit of a thankless job (he was getting paid enough for it mind!) and that he only got cards rarely. He showed me one card he had received (not the actual contents of the card or who it was from, just the front of it). Based on that I think they would definitely appreciate a card, to be honest I just sent him an email saying thank you.
Old 30th January 2018, 20:01

Mood
Tired

I'd say it's definitely something good, and really positive to show your appreciation if it's been a helpful experience and therapy has went well.
I'm pretty sure it'll be appreciated,
I felt bad that I wasn't appreciative enough after my counselling sessions, but I like to think that my progress was reward enough.
Old 30th January 2018, 20:16

Mood
Pensive

Thanks for the replies
I know somtimes they can't accept gifts so maybe a card will be better, I will be embarrassed giving her the card should I give it her towards the end of the session or beginning.?and what should I write.
A lot of people think it's just their job and they don't need a thank you card but I feel like she understood my problem and gave me new coping skills for the future
Old 30th January 2018, 20:40

Mood
Bashful

Card and a small gift. It's nice to be appreciated.
Old 31st January 2018, 02:46

Mood
Lurking

There is no obligation whatsoever to give a counsellor/therapist anything when therapy comes to an end. However, a token of appreciation for any good work you have done together, such as a 'Thank You' card is just fine if a client wishes to give one. As a client I have given counsellors of mine in the past a card just to show my thanks and appreciation.

As a counsellor, I have also received 'Thank You' cards from clients. Personally, if that happens I'm just happy that the person feels they've benefitted from the work we've done.

Presents can be awkward. Many agencies insist that a therapist declares any gifts given. Some won't let a therapist on their books accept gifts at all. If, for instance, chocolates are given, it might be that they simply get shared out in the office rather than taken home by the counsellor.

Personally, although nothing is expected by your therapist, if you really did want to express your appreciation at the end, either say it verbally or write it in a card. What to write? Well in your initial post you said that she has helped you, and you suggest that she has made you comfortable enough to open up and share your issues with her. You also went on to say that you felt understood by her and she has helped you develop coping strategies you can use. That's some real progress there. Maybe you could acknowledge that in your card.
Old 6th February 2018, 20:39

Mood
Confused

I was also thinking about this.
I was thinking of posting a thank you card after I have finished.
Old 8th February 2018, 08:30

Mood
Tired

^

sounds like a good idea GFTF,
I think she'd appreciate that voucher.
as you say,it's been 40 free sessions of counselling,

I think the fact we want to give something in appreciation of the value we place on counselling and someone's time spent helping us is just as important as the gift itself,
it shows a maturity and understanding, and is possibly an added indication of recovery