SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd March 2007, 17:31

Mood
Bored

Default delima opnions please!

Could having unsightly teeth be a factor or contribution to S.A.D ?
Im thinking more in terms of adding to low confidence/esteem,Self conciousness,Negative perception of yourself & feeling inferior possibly.

This may sound like a odd question but i would be interested in peoples opnions thanx.
Old 22nd March 2007, 17:34
CaughtByTheFuzz

Default Re: delima opnions please!

Teeth play a role in self confidence, so yes.

All sorts of people opt for teeth whitening/veneers/braces etc.

If you feel having straighter or whiter teeth would improve your confidence there's nothing wrong with having treatment.
Old 22nd March 2007, 17:41
muppet

I have got horrible teeth and although it never bothered me before it has started to play on my mind. Ive noticed that if I smile I try to do it with my lips shut so comes out gormless.
I hate the dentist with a vengance but this week have been having thoughts of dentistry work!!! Dont know if will ever do it though?(fear v vanity) Last time I went the dentist to have a tooth pulled he leaned on my throat to get leverage and I choked and couldnt breathe!! Not something Im keen to repeat!
Old 22nd March 2007, 17:48

Mood
Angelic

To quote Jelo Biafra - "the teeth are fin but the gums have got to go"
Old 22nd March 2007, 18:53
Moody Mare

I have 2 front either side of my main big front ones which are kinda to the side and one sticks out a lil. Apparently I had a bad fall as a kid and they grew in weird when my baby ones got knocked out. I also have a lump on my upper gum/jaw above the sticky out one which isnt really noticable so I guess its scar tissue from the old bump.

Ive went through having a plate which didnt work at all, the dentist wouldnt give me proper braces for some reason. I actually dont let my teeth bother me looks wise and no one else seems to notice unless I bring it up and they look properly.

They can do loads of new cosmetic dentistry treatments now if they do make you feel like that. If people can get ops on the nhs on their bodies for self esteem etc cos it gets them down so much then someone like yourself should be entitled to nhs dentistry for it.
Old 22nd March 2007, 19:16

People can be very self-conscious about their teeth. I used to have the worst, overcrowded teeth I've ever seen and it bothered me. I would try talking with my lips as closed as possible, which looked and sounded stupid probably. Then I got braces just over 2 years ago and I'm self-conscious about those. Today I found out I'll be wearing them for another year probably and my jaw surgery has been pushed back by months and I'm gutted. I would say that my insecurities about my mouth/teeth make me put things off and feel less able to talk to people and that it makes me unattractive.

So basically, teeth are a complete pain in the arse. I'll bet yours arent bad though like mine and if they are not terrible then try to realise that people wont even notice.
Old 22nd March 2007, 20:09

I used to have a gap between my 2 front teeth which made me feel self-conscious, the dentist fixed it though and now I am happy enough with my teeth - luckily they are quite healthy although I haven't seen a dentist in years!

Interestingly, when I was younger, I kept having a dream about losing my teeth!! It was probably all down to the fear that I might not be strong enough for life. I haven't had that dream for years now though, which has to be a good thing!
Old 22nd March 2007, 20:11
CaughtByTheFuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebottle
Interestingly, when I was younger, I kept having a dream about losing my teeth!! It was probably all down to the fear that I might not be strong enough for life. I haven't had that dream for years.
I used to get that dream. According to dream dictionary's it means you're afraid of ageing or losing your physical attractiveness.
Old 22nd March 2007, 22:08

Mood
Sad

Yeah, i definately feel like this. I really don't like my teeth, they just look all horrible and yellow to me, and this sometimes stops me from smiling at people, i usually just do a small smile instead. I think it probably makes me look cold and uninterested, when somebody says something funny but i can't smile properly to them