SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th March 2007, 03:55

Default What do you do with your time?

I was wondering what you guys do if you are not working/at college etc? I find it really difficult to fill my days and am really fed up of watching telly and not much else, sometimes feel I'm going mad
Old 20th March 2007, 14:34

Default Re: What do you do with your time?

Satalitte, the net, shopping, video games, working out, and obsessing about having a girlfriend, as for the last one though I don't any more, since as of last night I've completey given up, and I tell you, I feel liberated.
Old 20th March 2007, 15:51

Sadly I spend most of my day on the internet like this. I could easily spend the rest of my life just sat here on forums, reading game/film/book reviews, pressing 'random' on Wikipedia etc. Then there's watching TV I've downloaded off the web, usually do that on here or on The old Xbox that's networked up. Ah yes, tinkering, that's another thing I tend to do.

Basicaly I do everything bar sort my life out. No wonder when I leave the house I feel like I'm on some groundbreaking mission, no matter how small or trivial the errand is.
Old 20th March 2007, 16:03

At the moment voluntary work twice a week. One day for 4 hours and the other 2. This was really hard at first but my confidence is increasing and I am beginning to talk to people a bit more.

I also do pilates once a week which I find relaxing because I am concentrating on getting the movements correct and you have do alot of deep breathing. I go to accupunture once a week to help with anxiety and my eczema. I live near my sister and see her most evenings, but I want to start doing things socially some evenings rather than rely on her for company. I am sure she is sick of seeing me so often. And visiting her is an easy way of not doing anything about my SA.

I am also quite creative, at the moment I am into making greeting cards. I find quite often low moods or anxiety can get in the way of my creativity. I write poetry occasionally.

Find it hard to sit down and watch tv unless I am doing something else. Usually listen to music whilst doing housework.

I do need to have a couple of days a week where I stay in. I get overwhelmed if out too much especially in crowded areas. I live near a park and like going for walks.
Old 20th March 2007, 16:13

Mood
Shoveit

Sleep, drink tea, play with cats, spend about 5-8hrs a day browsing the net or playing games. Listen to music, read, watch the good stuff on Sky and I try to watch one film a day.

Utter bliss and the days all blend into one and before I know it another year has passed without me noticing
Old 20th March 2007, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattaca
Sleep, drink tea, play with cats, spend about 5-8hrs a day browsing the net or playing games. Listen to music, read, watch the good stuff on Sky and I try to watch one film a day.

Utter bliss and the days all blend into one and before I know it another year has passed without me noticing
Yeah, it can be pretty cool, even though I don't want to live like this forever and would like an actual life (obviously one I'm comfortable with and enjoy)

I've just found a new thing to do which I'm really enjoying now, watching episodes of Married With Children on Youtube that I haven't seen yet.
Old 20th March 2007, 16:41
Gecko

Painting, creative projects and crafts, cooking yummy meals and then eating them, reading, swimming, walking, lots of musing and contemplation, writing, coursework (I'm doing a course from home), watching films, taking extraordinarily long baths, tinkering in my garden (sounds a bit rude!). Quite a few of those are relatively recent additions. Looking back to a couple of years ago when I was depressed, I was doing very little other than sitting on my computer all day, every day. I still enjoy the internet but am online to a much lesser extent now and happier for it
Old 21st March 2007, 10:52

I work a couple of times a week as a homehelp for a couple of elderly ladies. I usually see my grandad during the week and do some shopping, cleaning and washing (clothes) for him aswell as do crosswords together and tackling the cryptics which we both enjoy.

I try and do an exercise video most days I aim at 5/7 as I stopped going to the gym a while back when I did a course. I walk into town (couple of miles) or get a bus at least twice a week I don't like being indoors too long it makes me feel more unwell. Sometimes I go to the library, look out for latest self-help books!

I like reading. I love it when you can't put a book down its so good! I like novels about different cultures which are part factual too, but also I like a good girly read. I've read a lot of the classics in the past, like Wilkie Collins, and Elizabeth Gaskell a lot.

Started to learn to knit again recently (learnt basic when I was younger) and crochet, but not doing too well at the mo..

I love music, I like the Chris Evans show on Radio 2 he's so cheery always puts a smile on my face. (from 5-7pm) Actually he wasn't on yesterday the other man just didn't get me smiling..

See my best friend most Saturdays. Sometimes go out and watch a band, but rare at the moment. (I haven't felt so good SA wise).

Of course, housework! Cooking dinners, feeding the washing machine too..
Old 21st March 2007, 12:12

Good thread for some inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by magika
i love driving so id go out for a drive . look on the map ,pick somewhere nice that has abit of woodland and/or lake and just drive out and have a wonder.
Dream about being able to do that one day that would be my ideal

I tend to spend most of my spare time sculpting even though it is also work, but it was a hobby before work so dont really see it as either now, just what i do but it has kinda taken over life when i think of it .

Apart from that watch tv, talking , ( but usually start sculpting while doing them as feel guilty just sitting ), internet ( usually surfing to get inspiration for yup sculpts) , cleaning, chores and diy , sleeping .:embarass: such variety
Old 21st March 2007, 12:20

Wow Fairyfingers! Is that with clay or any materials you can find?
Old 21st March 2007, 12:28

I cycle

When I absolutely don't know what else to do - but need to get out - I cycle all the way down the Avon Gorge over the Avonmouth Bridge and all the way back up to Bristol through Leigh Woods.

Sometimes when I get really bad anxiety and I don't know how to get through the next few minutes - let alone to bedtime - the cycling is best of all because it is impossible not to feel a lifted mood with that amount of exercise.

I'm lucky in that I have friends who are either working from home or who are about in the day anyway - so I usually see friends most days. I spend usually a day a week with one friend doing the charity shop circuits.

I also go to two fabulous self help groups and to an art class and I am planning to go to a writing group too.

I'm absolutely nuts about genealogy and it is impossible to get to the end of your family tree. So I spend a great deal of time on ancestry dot Co dot uk ancestor bothering.

I am hoping to get some training and employment in the longer term - I'm so fed up with low self esteem - I plan to join in on the great oil guzzle and "break the planet fest" before the seas rise too high - the weather goes crazy, society goes down the drain - and Mad Max drives over the horizon.
Old 21st March 2007, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross PK
Satalitte, the net, shopping, video games, working out, and obsessing about having a girlfriend, as for the last one though I don't any more, since as of last night I've completey given up, and I tell you, I feel liberated.
That's me, minus the shopping. I gave up the boyfriend thing. I want to have that happiness feeling with just being me . A boyfriend will come when he's ready.
Old 21st March 2007, 16:27

a lot of my time is taken up with looking after my 2 cats and feeding any strays that might wander into my garden (the neighbours love me ) apart from that i go on the internet, watch tv, go for walks when i'm up for it, i quite like drawing, though i'm only good at drawing stick men at the moment , i use to play the piano a lot but i've lost my confidence so i dont really play much now....just practice my chords once in a blue moon and thats about it.
Old 21st March 2007, 16:50

Mood
Worried

Watch tv, make cakes, housework (well.. some hehe), draw (when i feel creative hmf), play xbox.. Hoping to do some volunteer work soon. When i'm brave enough to go see the volunteer peoples.
Old 21st March 2007, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by W!llow
Wow Fairyfingers! Is that with clay or any materials you can find?
Both , i forgot to mention collecting junk ( materials) to use with sculpts.
Old 21st March 2007, 19:00

Thats really good fairyfingers. I admire artistic people, my sister is artistic she is doing a ceramics course at the moment. Art is good therapy.
Old 21st March 2007, 23:34

Great thread,thanks for putting in up

My typical day :
I get up early to go to the university.After university i go to gym (greatly helps for my anxiety,depression).After that i usually go to local bookstore to check out new magazines and read for some time or meet up with my best friend to have a chat.When i am at home i am usually at my computer.Most of the time i use the computer to surf the net browsing some forums and sites i regularly visit and to get a grasp of what people think about a subject while adding few.Internet is my main addiction which i mostly use for "learning" and entertaintment purposes.
After dinner i try not to miss episodes of my favorite series
If i am up for some challenge I play Guild versus Guild battles in Online Game "Guild Wars" with my playmates.
Before i sleep i listen to music for about an hour
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:22
Banned

Do you guys think 'how can i spend so much tome on the net each day'?. I can spend more than 6 hrs a day sometimes on the net and in the evening i think 'how did i waste 6hrs on the internet just browsing the same sites as i always do'?
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
Do you guys think 'how can i spend so much tome on the net each day'?. I can spend more than 6 hrs a day sometimes on the net and in the evening i think 'how did i waste 6hrs on the internet just browsing the same sites as i always do'?
I love the internet...it really is a lifeline for me but i have always resisted having broadband because i know if i did i would be on it literally all day and probably all night so, because i can only go on 150 hours per month, it means i have to limit my time to around 3 hours a day max...which suits me.
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross PK
i wouldnt say that i'd given up completely on finding a relationship, if i meet someone then great..if i dont well, its no big deal...the only thing that worries me is that i know i am very difficult to put up with...extreme mood swings, self destructive attitude, sleep problems etc, so i know it would take someone very patient to want to be with me...havent met him yet...but, maybe one day
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Befals
Ooooh post some piccies please!
Stuck some of the lastes in the "Post Your Own Artwork/Creations" thread in the pics section :embarass: your body paintings are great

Quote:
Originally Posted by W!llow
Thats really good fairyfingers. I admire artistic people, my sister is artistic she is doing a ceramics course at the moment. Art is good therapy.
Ceramics sound useful as well as fun , agreed about art being good therapy it has always been the one thing that has helped keep me part way sane
Old 22nd March 2007, 02:18

Thanks everybody for your replies, all very interesting and has given me some ideas I can only go online evenings as its too expensive during the day (don't have broadband) and then I try, with difficulty, to limit it to about an hour at a time.

I'm hoping to do a bit more voluntary work when I can feel brave enough to face more people (I currently help at a local cat rescue centre).

The family tree is fascinating, my uncle has been doing this a while, but it takes ages. I have a famous relative, one William Penn who founded Pennsylvania in the US way back when, so hopefully uncle will get back to him at some point
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefersbabe
I have a famous relative, one William Penn who founded Pennsylvania in the US way back when
Some of the Penns are buried in a local church to me in Bristol
St Mary Redcliffe

And I have just found this fab site on the Penns
Old 23rd March 2007, 01:02

Thanks for that Statelyhomo, fascinating!
Old 23rd March 2007, 02:22

Is this just spare time? As I've noticed people haven't included work?

Anyway, apart from working full time, in my spare time I browse the net, do housework, workout, watch telly/films, occasionally have couple of friends over if up to it, and play ps2 games. Don't tend to go out on my days off unless I've got someone to go for a walk with or something (sad I know ) but if I've got a night off that other people have off too I might go out clubbing. Also get my shopping delivered so that's one less thing to worry about