SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd September 2017, 12:35
Banned at own request

Default noise

How do I get over being really annoyed by other people's noise? Next door play music during the day at the weekend, it's not overly loud but the bass cuts through me, and I focus on it and it makes me anxious and cross. I feel like I can't say anything because it's not at night and I expect we make a lot of noise too. It's just me being intolerant and I can't help it.
I tend to wear earphone in the evening if I'm watching my phone and playing games. And most nights I end up just going to bed with music playing so I don't have to listen to any other noise. How do I deal with my feeling of noise? I don't know is what to do
Old 2nd September 2017, 13:26
Banned at own request

Default Re: noise

I find keeping a certain level of my own noise around me helps remove focus from all the noise thrown at me from outside. My situation is that most of the noise is just annoying but rarely individuals being inconsiderate. I rarely have trouble with neighbours or music its always buses, drunks at the bus stop or workmen.

I always have a telly on low level even when I am not watching it. Music or radio or something like that. If my house is silent it dawns on me just what a noisy place I live in. Silence also reminds me how alone I am but thats another matter.
Old 2nd September 2017, 13:30
Banned at own request

I think that may be the trouble ,, I don't have any background noise on. No radio or anything, so when noise does occur it's very noticeable to me. It doesn't bother the rest of the family, just me, so I know it's my problem. I just wish it didn't make me feel so angry and depressed.
Old 2nd September 2017, 18:13
Banned at own request

Just got back home from shopping and the music is still on. I'm up in the bedroom with my earphones in. I feel such a pathetic twat, but I'm so wound up my stomach is in knots. Why can't I be assertive and confident instead of a weak loser, see this is why I hate myself, I'm a waste of time.
Old 2nd September 2017, 18:24
Banned at own request

^ I have never ever raised any noise issues with anybody around me so you are not alone. In real life when it comes to the possibility of any conflict of any sort I am totally pathetic. Totally pathetic. I just find a way around it somehow.

Its not often but I have been kept up all night by late night chatting in the garden or music all night. Obviously I cant tell how intrusive your noise issues actually are but it sounds like you are aware perhaps that it bothers you more than it should ? You want to feel less bothered ?

I seem quite good at empathising. Imagining how loud it actually is in reality. Often I come to the conclusion actually they arent that bad I am just being effected when I shouldnt be. Then on goes my telly.

When my neighbours had young screaming kids that kicked off every morning I would put my washing machines on once they kicked off. Drowned them out nicely. I actually drowning them in the washing machine would have worked too but this seemed easier.
Old 2nd September 2017, 22:33

Mood
Insomnious

I remember reading a story about a Buddhist master and his student. They were meditating and a constant noise from outside the temple was distracting the student, who asked the master "How can you meditate with that noise? Doesn't it bother you?" And the master replied "Why are you bothering the noise?" Or something like that. Anyway, I guess if you achieved enlightenment then these noises wouldn't bother you.

I haven't achieved enlightenment either so those ****ing arseholes who drive around late at night on their noisey motorbikes really piss me off. They must know how much noise they're making and probably ride along thinking "Yeah! Everyone must think I'm so cool! Like the Fonz or Tom Cruise in Top Gun." I beg to ****ing differ. You're riding around making a noise like an elephant with chronic diarrhoea, and no-one thinks you're the Fonz. Nobody thinks you're cool. They're all hoping that the racket you've made is suddenly cut short by the sound of a crash followed by Ambulance sirens as paramedics arrive at the scene to harvest what's left of you're organs to put into someone who won't make such a ****ing din.
Old 3rd September 2017, 14:23

Mood
Lurking

I bought these great silicone earplugs a while back called Hush Plugz. I tried all sort of ear plugs but none really worked, but these completely block out noise.

It's a bit crap though having to wear earplugs in your own home due to other people's noise. My neighbours drive me insane with their partying until all hours, fighting and arguing and general noise so i have to wear these earplugs.

Noise really stresses me and i'm very sensitive to it. I work in a noisy environment and when i come home i want some peace and quiet, but seldom get it.
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:33
Banned at own request

Thanks for the earplug recommend Clyde, might have to look into these, and maybe some additional soundproofing
Old 5th September 2017, 09:48

Mood
Lurking

You're welcome. I got them in my local Savers shop.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:15

Mood
Tired

I've often found noise extremely irritating, especially in pubs and clubs, I've even walked out of concerts I'd paid good money to see as they felt too loud.
I even used to put clocks and stuff inside drawers with clothes over them to mask the 'ticking' if there were any in my room.
I even think it contributed to having a breakdown,
noise seems like a very personal invasion of what little personal space you feel you have,
it can be really traumatising sometimes, as your own personal space can feel like your only sanctuary from everything.

not long before my breakdown, my neighbour would continually put on the radio in his house after about 9 or 10 pm,
then he'd leave it on all night, right through to about 7pm next morning,
when I chapped his door (after getting up, and getting dressed at 2am) I was amazed how loud he had the music on,
I think he was either trying to mess with me, or was actually a bit unhinged or something, as he'd never turn it down.
after about a full month or two of this I decided I had to do something.
when your sleep is badly disturbed, it's amazing how it wrecks your whole emotional/mental system.
I ended up building 3 whole new walls inside my house in front of the existing party walls,
it was seriously hard work, but I'm so glad I went through with it, as I can actually get to sleep at night now, - which is bliss.
Old 26th September 2017, 19:55

Mood
Mellow

Cool Re: noise

It is a bit crap having to wear earphones in your own home. Have a look at a website called flickr. They sell serious no nonsense noise reducing earplugs which look equally cool and are not overly obvious when worn. Different colours and size to choose from tho they do come at the worthwhile price of £24. Figure its an investment worthwhile for me since dad off on his forever holiday and the women family members as usual completely ignoring my plight. Unfortunately tho my teenager doesnt see it this way yet she's been caught up in their spiders web. I digress. Anyway this will be my next serious purchase before autumn with next door kicks in. I'd forgotten about ruby wax I used to quite like her. Jo Ban is another good comedian. Might have to resort to Mrs Brown's boy's this evening or one of dads favourite comedy sitcom series mind your language. Right. Another lavender bath necessary.
Old 4th October 2017, 17:03

Mood
Sweettooth

I think noise intolerance is a symptom of Anxiety. I cannot stand noise it heightens my anxiety.
Old 17th October 2017, 11:55

Mood
Mellow

More electric cars would be good. Norway is way ahead of the U.K. I love the silence of my BEV although it does mean that hearing a badly tuned car grates on the nerves even more. Bose noise cancelling headphones are expensive but good.
Old 4th December 2017, 14:35

Mood
Mellow

Wall knocking for no apparent reason during day at 2:30pm. Nbor knows they've done it since just loudly gone down st to collect kid. We've all been up til 1am. Silly season begun in my area. We're all shattered.