Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 19th February 2008, 15:24

Mood
Mellow

Default A positivity section?

I was just wondering, I'm sure that this idea has been asked about before, if it would be possible to have a section for positive and proactive stuff. Things move quite quickly through the other sections, and if there is a thread that I feel is useful it can be tricky to find it amongst everything else.
I also think that it would be useful to have somewhere that is all about being positive, I understand that the trophy room does that, but it'd be good to have somewhere that is about maintaining positivity, developing it etc.
It's not really a fully formed idea, lol, but I thought it was worth asking about.

Bugs :multi:
Old 19th February 2008, 16:52

Mood
Curious

Default Re: A positivity section?

Yeah, I've seen this idea. Nobody posts in there.

It is a nice thought, but I don't like the idea of a positivity room myself. In fact I don't like the idea of another room at all, there's nothing more annoying than a billion sub-forums that confuse the living turd out of you, and it's just more sub-forums to trundle through as you try to find what you want (the over 30s and younger whatchimajig are completely pointless, and all the others that I've never heard of). There's absolutely no reason why you can't post everything in the SA room.

But, as someone who's always wanted to see SAUK as a positive, beneficial place to be, I understand your plight. If there was an addition of any room at all though, I'd prefer to see it geared more towards practical personal development (however much I hate the term) than bullshit positivity.

At the end of the day though the people make the forum what it is.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 19th February 2008, 17:36

Mood
Mellow

I ain't so keep on happy clappy sentimental stuff either, I guess it's just that I use this site a lot less these days, and I don't want to have to scroll through reams of posts in one large forum looking for specific subjects.
I figured that if you had one room for useful and positive stuff then it'd be quicker to get to the goods as it were, I can understand about diversifying too much, but at the same time, there is something to be said for organising information.
Personally I have wandered through all of the sections at one point or another and I personally don't think that there are a massive amound of sections as it is, SA is a diverse subject and SAUK is a large community.
That being said, if it's a non-starter fairy snuff.

Bugs :multi:
Old 19th February 2008, 18:07

I think that sounds a good idea. Yes there are days when we don't want to hear it, life feels crap and we want to wallow, I know I have days like that, but there are other days when I feel proactive and positive and it would be good to have a section devoted to that, so those sort of threads would be easy to locate.
Old 19th February 2008, 19:56

great idea!
Old 19th February 2008, 20:47

I like the idea too
Old 19th February 2008, 21:08

I dont know what it would include exactly. I like the idea though. I also like the idea of adjusting the trophy room to cover this.

Theres all sorts of positivity.

The trophy/accomplishments
My hugs and kisses thread.
Positive ways of overcoming sa
And maybe others..
Old 19th February 2008, 21:47

Mood
Curious

I'm not massively against the idea so long as it's done right. But please, for the love of God, don't put it in the trophy room. If anything, make the trophy room a sub-forum of the new room, not the other way round.

Quote:
The trophy/accomplishments
My hugs and kisses thread.
Positive ways of overcoming sa
And maybe others..
See, this is what I despise. It's overwhelming beyond belief to open a page and be confronted with a zillion forums and sub forums. I can see the point bugs is trying to make, not being up to date with all the topics and wanting to occasionally immerse himself into the positive stuff (to be honest, I'd like to do the same). But hugs and kisses? And why does the trophy room have to branch off into accomplishments? And 'maybe others'....what exactly? Maybe others just for the sake of it?

The thing is, what you normally find when you have all these forums is that no one posts in them. The majority still stick to the more generalised rooms (currently the SA room, the Lounge and the Basement). So you'll find that you get less replies in the other rooms, because those who don't use the 'new posts' function simply can't be ****ed to go wandering into them.

I'd love nothing more than to see this forum a more positive place. And a new room could possibly help make a positive difference but I think it needs to be done with a little forethought rather than dumping new rooms left right and center.

If it were me, I'd dump everything beside the SA room, the Lounge and the Basement (and this one of course which doesn't count), then create one new room for pro-active personal development. That's my suggestion ... which will go down like a bag of bricks, no doubt.

Old 19th February 2008, 22:23

I'm with mico on the sub-forums thing. I detest multiple sub-forums, as I've been on forums before whose Admins seems to enjoy making a separate sub-forum for every f-cking topic in the world. However, I think this is a good idea, but so long as some current forums are scrapped or something (like the pointless ones mico mentioned).
Old 19th February 2008, 22:34

To maintain a balance, we should also have a negativity area where people go to vent their frustrations and dismay with the world. It could be called the Doom section.

I'm not really a fan of either to be truthful as I find positivity forums do not make me feel positive, but if it works for others i'd have no problem with it.
Old 19th February 2008, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanChief
To maintain a balance, we should also have a negativity area where people go to vent their frustrations and dismay with the world. It could be called the Doom section.
We already do, but it's called The Social Anxiety Room.

Swish!

Old 19th February 2008, 22:57

Point taken... but it should be called the Doom Room!
Old 19th February 2008, 23:04

Btw before I meant one section that covered all those topics. Rather than subforums.

That way the trophy room is included with the positivity. Its using the existing part of the forum and expanding on it to include more.

I think they should remove the familly, and under 30, youth and put them all in the anxiety room.

Meetings and support groups should be combined too.

Website and garage perhaps.

The trophy room just seems the most appropiate for an already existing positive section. Perhaps it would be an good idea to share the load there rather than the lounge or anxiety room. Those two places get pretty full, especially the lounge.

I wouldnt like the idea of subforums or any extra forums. The removal of a few would be an improvement. Adding the 'blog' section would be awesome.
Closed Thread