SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd December 2016, 12:46

Mood
Lurking

Default Christmas Cards

I don't bother with Christmas Cards, as they have never meant anything to me, I especially hate it when people who you work with all the give you cards. Fortunately I now only work in a team of 3 and one of my other colleagues is as anti Christmas as I am. So we don't bother with cards.

Does anybody else not bother with cards at this time of year?

As their is only 3 of us, and the organisation we work for does not give you time off for a Xmas lunch, I don't have the dreaded lunch or party events. We don't even get an early finish at Christmas or New Year, since all the cut backs, which doesn't bother me anyway, as I won't be rushing out to celebrate.
Old 2nd December 2016, 23:31

Mood
Lurking

Default Re: Christmas Cards

I personally can't be arsed with the whole thing so i don't bother with it. I'll send my family cards because that's expected of me i guess, and it will save any rows if i don't. Colleagues though, we don't bother which is fine with me. We don't have a Christmas night out either as nobody is ever arsed organising one and i wouldn't really want to sit there feeling awkward pulling Trevor's cracker and wishing i was at home in my bed reading a book alone.
Old 3rd December 2016, 01:09

just a sly one guys (saves posting a thread)
long story short - girl i used to commute with, became interested in (in some way) never did get to say anything, no longer commute but have walked past her a few times (today being one), I know where she works having seen her there by chance once (its not a weird thing, i actually avoid the place if anything) -
have wondered about giving her an Xmas card, or giving to someone to give to her, for a while now, but typically keep going backwards and forwards the idea - is it lame, weird.
I'd much prefer to just say 'hi' but its hard to be ready for it when its so unlikely and is a bit indefinite.
Old 3rd December 2016, 03:30

^Go with the part of you that bought the card and thought it would be a nice gesture. Ignore the part of you that is saying it's over the top.
I imagine most people receiving that card in that situation would pause for a second and be like "Aww, she got me the card that says 'Sister' on". if you don't send that one, then there is no such moment.
It's not over the top, it's a nice gesture.
Send the bloody card!
Old 3rd December 2016, 08:49

I think it would be nice for you to send a Christmas card to the other members of your team, there are only three of you and you never know you might get a card or two back.

I send cards to people I work with, they usually send me one so I send one back. The only other cards I would send are for family members and friends.
Old 3rd December 2016, 10:27
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

I work alone so don't have to worry about sending cards in that respect, as for family I only get one from mum and that's it, I have no friends so it's just the one for me I'm afraid, birthdays are the same

My folks always seem to get loads of cards from family and neighbours but rarely is my name on them.
Old 3rd December 2016, 15:34

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
I think it would be nice for you to send a Christmas card to the other members of your team, there are only three of you and you never know you might get a card or two back.
I think the only Christmas Card I will get will be from the boss, our team leader, and she sends one to all her staff. I don't think I'll waste my time on it.
Old 5th December 2016, 11:08

I've not wrote out any Christmas Cards as of yet. Personally, I hate having to sit there and write them all out (even though I'm 31, my mother literally makes me under duress ) when I know I get almost nothing in return. Therefore in recent years, I've managed to cut right down on them and I think there will likely become a point over the next few years the only cards I'll be writing will be for my parents and my brother. Direct family, basically.

I've not had any cards in work as of yet and I have no intention on writing any out until I get any back. I usually get a couple from there...

We've not received anything through the post as of yet, either. However, it's still reasonably early to be fair. I will start to get a little annoyed if we don't have any by next week. Sadly, we have predicted this as contact with other family has been at a minimum for about six years for reasons we simply don't understand. We now only write out cards as and when we receive any in this respect.

I don't personally put in effort unless I see effort made for me. I've been there before - doing all the legwork as I'm told to put in and...nothing. I'm no better thought of, it only makes my Social Anxiety and depression worse, so I'd rather not stress out and have the same result anyway...
Old 8th December 2016, 18:48

Mood
Sweettooth

I only send out a handful of Christmas cards and receive a handful of Christmas cards.