SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th December 2010, 18:21

Default Medical School

Okay so its been aaaaaages since I've been on this forum. Used to come here quite often when I was a student and I went on meets and it was really great. Since then I've made loads of progress with anxiety. I'm now reapplying to medical school as a mature student (I turned down an offer in the past and decided to come back to it, turned out it was what I wanted to do afterall lol) and I have my first interview January 24th.

The interview is a MMI style which consists of eight stations where you get tested on various skills/qualities a doctor will need i.e. ability to empathise etc. The problem is I'm super nervous and worried that I'm going to screw it up because of that. Does anyone have any advice as to how to stay calm and just relax, I'm sure if I just be myself I can do fine. I mean I've got this far.

I did a 3 day work experience in a hotel where I got to interact with patients and doctors and it was great. Really loved it but now I know I'm being assessed. Just worried I'll screw it up...
Old 7th December 2010, 22:14

Mood
Thinking

Default Re: Medical School

Well done on all your progress Ozy! Its really good seeing people who have dealt and area dealing with sa and are managing to do things with their lives. I really hope your interview goes well!

Which area of medicine are you most interested in?
Old 8th December 2010, 04:12

Mood
Insomnious

Congratulations on your progress!!

With regard to your nervousness, how severe is it? Would you characterize it as a panic attack? If so, you might want to take an anti-anxiety pill before the evaluation, e.g., Zanax or Klonopin. But if this would be the first time to take such a medication, I would try it out once before the evaluation so you will know how your body reacts.
Old 8th December 2010, 15:29

Hi guys,

Thanks for the congratulations.

Tori - Funnily enough my inclination is towards psychiatry. I've always been fascinated with the brain and behaviour and I think having had issues myself its made me want to do it even more. I've been working as a befriender for individuals in the community who have mental health issues. Working with people with conditions like bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder. I do find the conditions fascinating in an academic sense but I also find I really enjoy supporting other people who are troubled and trying to help them find constructive solutions. I think there is usually always potential for improvement and its brilliant helping somebody indentify that - much more enjoyable than my current job in IT!!

Having said that I do often picture myself as a GP but worried it might aggravate me having to deal with trivial issues like colds and writing sick notes etc. But I guess mundanity is commonplace in almost all careers. We'll see!

Cats - thanks for that. Its not like an anxiety attack. I just feel really nervous and worried I'm not good enough. Its that usual anxious feeling that other people are so naturally good they'll easily outperform me. I've been fortunate enough to meet lots of different types of doctors so I know you don't have to be super confident. I'd say in general my anxiety is quite low but when I have situations like this it rears up and I get this massive feeling of insecurity. I'm intrigued by the anxiety pills though. Might have to look into that, good idea to test my response as well beforehand. Thanks!
Closed Thread