SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 24th May 2006, 18:57

Unhappy No relationship with my family

I think part of my social issues come from the fact my family and me do not get on. Im 19, and during the last two years of college I had a very rough time. I was lonely, depressed etc with very few friends. My parents and I just didnt get on, even though I was doing extremely well at school and had a part time job and caused them NO trouble at all, we constantly argued and so in the end Id spend all day in school isolataed, then come home and spend all my time in my room isolated. Two years of this meant that when I went to uni, it was like I had forgotten how to be a social, confident person.

I dropped out and Im on a gap year now, working full time. But I still have absolutely no type of relationship with any of my family. We simply have nothing to say to each other, so everything is just awkward and uncomfortable. My brother is a year younger than me and he gets on with them fine, and has lots of friends and an active social life.

I dont know whats wrong with me and Ive tried so hard to maintain contact etc, it just doesnt happen
Old 24th May 2006, 19:22

Default Re: No relationship with my family

Brings to mind that old chestnut, "you can't choose your family". I'm sure lots of people just don't click with members of their family through no fault of their own. I have a good relationship with my immediate family but in the extended family there are loads of them I'm just not on the same wavelength with.
Old 25th May 2006, 22:01

Mood
Tired

You're no the only one. I only get on with my brother in my family and his family. I haven't seen my parents for years now and I can't seem to get on with my sister. I seem to be the black sheep of the family so to speak. Everyone is getting on with their lives and couldn't really give a damn, so I don't either. I don't take any crap in life anymore and this maybe why I distance myself from certain people I see as not worth trying to get along with. Believe me I have tried! I have my own family now though - my partner and two kids and we get along fine. I think the route of my family troubles is down to my dad who is a very domineering character. My mum has left him recently after he beat her up. That's nothing to what he did to us as kids!! He isn't getting any sympathy from anyone and doesn't deserve it. He is just so self centred and arrogant beyond belief. Maybe he will move back down to where he came from all those years ago. I don't think many people will miss him somehow. That's quite a harsh thing to say about my dad I know but if you had been treated the way we all have you would realise what sort of person he is.
Old 26th May 2006, 00:09

My family just make me feel shit about myself and yer because i want differrent things out of life i,m the black sheep also.

I just dont think like thay do and have now desided to stay away and come here instead
Closed Thread