SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd June 2012, 12:00

Mood
Relaxed

Default Experience terrible anxiety when hungover

Hello. I was jut wondering whether anybody else is the same. Every single time i am hungover i experience crippling anxiety that lasts as long as the hangover. I don't know whether non SA sufferes experience this too but the two with me seem to go hand in hand! The more i drink, the worse the anxiety the day after... anybody the same? Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:14

Mood
Breezy

Yep it amplifies my sa tremendously. But I just get really anxious in general. If I'm going to be hungover I will try and avoid ending up somewhere that will test my sa. I really just want to be alone to recover.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:53

Mood
Relaxed

Default Re: Experience terrible anxiety when hungover

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
If I'm going to be hungover I will try and avoid ending up somewhere that will test my sa. I really just want to be alone to recover.
I am exactly the same.. and in the comfort of my own home. It hurts to be hungover anywhere else.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:58

Yes, I actually hate being hungover anywhere but at home and if I'm not at home I make sure I get there as soon as possible. Then I don't drink for weeks or sometimes even months afterwards. I think I am literally the only person who when they say "I'm never drinking again" actually gets close to meaning it xD
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:21

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSnow
Yes, I actually hate being hungover anywhere but at home and if I'm not at home I make sure I get there as soon as possible.
Yes. I have gone to extremes of paying for a taxi with all the money i have rather than being offered a lift back later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Dog
I'm not a medical professional, but I think this is not related to the SA, it's a common thing that non-SA people may also have after drinking.
I always wondered!
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:01

Hangovers affect everyone to one degree or another. Some people wallow in it and some get on with living. Stopping to think about it is possibly the worst thing you can do. As a fellow anxiety sufferer i know thats almost impossible, so my advice is; if you carry on drinking, don't drink as much and when the morning comes try not to focus on the hangover. Simple.. oh, drink a pint of water before you go to bed and plenty more throughout the following day
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:47

I used to get really terrible anxiety after being drunk so I had to completely stop drinking alcohol- haven't been drunk for about 20 years now. I wish I could have a drink or two and get relaxed/more chatty and then just have a slight hangover the next day like 'normal' people seem to. The pattern for me is more that i have a few drinks, get slightly more relaxed and chatty for about 5 minutes then get tired and a bit paranoid then go to sleep and feel in a state of anxious self loathing for about a week after. The only drug that has a positive effect on me is caffeine.
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:53

Mood
Nerdy

Yip, bad hangovers escalate to full on panic attacks.
Old 22nd June 2012, 20:30

This can be cured by avoiding alcohol.
Old 23rd June 2012, 04:06

Mood
Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by here4help
SA'ers are prone to self medicate and become dependent. Your "cure" is like going to a GP with SA, depression or alcoholism and being told to "just snap out of it".
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgetmenot
I agree, tremors when hungover is a symptom of too much drink and anyone get it, i think there's a name for it but i can't remember it.
Delirium tremens, or DT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by here4help
True, but I think a lot of SA people drink because it helps them fit in to social environments and it does reduce the anxiety a bit when drinking. I know I do the same, though it's easy to overdo it and it can make things worse (especially when you think you may have done or said something stupid but can't really remember what...)
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:20

Mood
Lonely

Havent read the whole thread, so apologies if repeated. Alcohol is a known, proven depressant. If you suffer with extreme anxiety you probably shouldnt be drinking it in the first place.
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:54

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubyse
Havent read the whole thread, so apologies if repeated. Alcohol is a known, proven depressant. If you suffer with extreme anxiety you probably shouldnt be drinking it in the first place.
I'll drink to that. Cheers
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:10

Hi rubee I'm a recovering alcoholic, and a lot of drinkers have the same thing if the have SA or not, some peoples hands shake, but you do get people who drink and don't, they feel find but mentally depressed, don't worry about
what I'm about to say, but if you drink every day you can go into a state of withdrawal and have a seizure which in some have proved fatal, when I had them I was lucky, your long way off from that, but be careful in future

Been volunteer a year, ask me questions about alcohol if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubee_J
Hello. I was jut wondering whether anybody else is the same. Every single time i am hungover i experience crippling anxiety that lasts as long as the hangover. I don't know whether non SA sufferes experience this too but the two with me seem to go hand in hand! The more i drink, the worse the anxiety the day after... anybody the same? Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 15:15

Mood
Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgetmenot
I agree, tremors when hungover is a symptom of too much drink and anyone get it, i think there's a name for it but i can't remember it.
Its called Delirium Tremens