SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th April 2011, 17:55

Mood
Mellow

Default Relationships with siblings?

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering what everyones relationships are like with their brothers and sisters? I say this as i have just had a really big arguement with my older brother. We have never really got on as children and as young adults we still have nothing in common. He constantly is giving me abusive comments about my anxiety and depression and the fact i have no job. We are both adults so i tend to ignore these comments as i know really he doesn't know how serious things are but he does make me feel very bad and sometimes even makes me think suicidal thoughts. He has no love for me as his younger brother because the language and insults he uses towards me really make me feel down. He likes to target the fact i am gay also.

I also have two sisters and we get on but not as much as normal sisters and brothers should. I would never feel confident enough to sit down and talk to them about how i feel.

I was just wondering what all of your relationships are like with your brothers and sisters and do they help you with your problems or make them worse like mine do?
Old 27th April 2011, 19:17

Mood
Angry

Default Re: Relationships with siblings?

Hmmmm snap !! I had a massive arguement which lead to a physical bust up with my 'brother' who us about 1yr and a bit older than me. I am a 32 year old female who is also a lesbian.
As far as he is concerned i am a useless tramp lol
We used to get on up until i was about 16 . Then it just went down hill from then.
I and my partner moved in with my mother about 2 years ago , her 'husband' is menatally abusive and physical too. We moved in for her protection really.
My 'brother' moved in too.
Since we moved in he hardly speaks to me and refuses to acknowlege my partner , no skin off my nose. He wipes the kettle with a cloth after i have handled it !!
Since the physical fight i refuse to acknowlege him and his farther.
They both think i am useless and an embarrassment etc
They dont matter to me because they are very far from from being perfect .I was alright when they needed money.
Anyway the fact that you two never got on as kids is probably why he finds it so easy to intimidate you and be absolutely vile towards you. Some siblings never get on its just the way things are. Did your parents not do anything to try and bridge the gap between you all ??
All i can say is not to take it into your heart so much. It is not easy but you can do it.
Your brother probably has his own hang ups and insecurites that you dont know about ?? Looking at your profile pic jealousy might be an issue.
I have a younger sister too and we get on 95% of the time.
Just focus on beating your depression and anxiety thats it. Maybe when you have that under control you might be able to think about the possibility of telling him about your condition .
Old 27th April 2011, 20:24

Mood
Fine

I don't get on well with my younger sister at all. She is the complete opposite of me, she is loud, obnoxious, has an uncountable number of friends and loves to make fun of the fact im quiet and have no friends.

She says things to me like " go die" or "nobody like you" at least twice a day.

So yeah, we don't have a good relationship
Old 27th April 2011, 20:32
Banned

apparently i've got a sister
Old 27th April 2011, 22:08
Banned

I thought this thread might be about incest for a moment?
Old 27th April 2011, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
I thought this thread might be about incest for a moment?

Sorry couldn't help it!!
Old 27th April 2011, 22:17

Johnni...
Old 27th April 2011, 23:27

I have 4 brothers and one sister that I see once maybe twice a year and every time I come away wondering why I even bother to make that effort.
Old 27th April 2011, 23:32

Mood
Angelic

I have two brothers and a half sister. One of my brothers is a herion addict whom also suffers severe depression who is physically abusive towards me, the other has aggressive outbursts towards me. My sister i have not seen for years. Yay happy families!
Old 28th April 2011, 05:25

Mood
Insomnious

My personality is very different from that of my siblings, and so I've never got on well with them. I've always felt that they look down on me because of my SA and shyness. I get on much better with my parents.
Old 28th April 2011, 14:47
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

Sometimes I worry about her, other times I don't. Haven't seen her in ages. The last time I saw her she shouted at me instead of trying to give a shit what I'm going through. I just can't be arsed to speak to her anymore. She's always in a bad mood, lol.
Old 28th April 2011, 20:16

I was quite close to my sister when we were children, but then when we were about 13 and 15 respectively we drifted apart. Part of this was that my sister started hanging out with "cool" people and didn't really want to have anything to do with me anymore as me and my friends we obviously not that cool. She and her friends bullied me at one point.
Now we do have a good relationship again after years of not really talking much with each other (apart from family gatherings). She even came to Scotland once to visit me and sends me gifts and cards for Christmas and my birthday.
Old 28th April 2011, 20:41

As a child I never got on well with my brother, we always fought a lot, both physically and verbally. Neither of these really stopped until a few years ago before I moved out. Now since I rarely see my brother when we do see each other we get along quite well but still have very little in common. It's interesting how different he is to me - he appears quite confident, has a lot of friends and doesn't appear to get anxious about things.
Old 28th April 2011, 21:16

Mood
Scurvy

I'm 23 and my younger sister is 22 and we get along great. I can talk to her about pretty much anything and we have the same sense of humour
Old 28th April 2011, 23:55

Mood
Dreaming

my brother is possibly the only person in the world who doesn't judge me one way or another. we get on great but that's probably down to the fact there's a massive age gap between us. recently discovered he's been having making friends at his new school... just like me when i was younger, so i'm horrified to think he might go through what i went through. i want to give him some tips on how to make friends but i really don't know. anyways, getting off topic
Old 29th April 2011, 01:31

I have four older sisters. No brothers . Out of the four sisters, I only really see one lol :/ and one other occasionally. The eldest lives in australia so that can't really be helped. The youngest is, well I won't go there, but we don't see eye to eye. It's a shame as i'd like a relationship with them all but then it has to be on their terms only and me conforming to their ideals/way of life which isn't for me so therefore if she can't accept me for who I am, don't be in my life. Simples.
Old 29th April 2011, 08:11

Mood
Brooding

i get on well with my siblings but cant really talk to them about personal stuff.
thats my problem though, they are all good people.
Old 29th April 2011, 08:24
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I used to see my brother about once a week but since my mother died that has been less frequent though we do phone each other .We have got on better as we have got older.
My sister i see infrequently ie average 1-2 x a year and hardly speak to on the phone.
I can't say i dislike her but we don't have much in common. Due to illness i have drifted down the social scale whereas she has a well paid professional job.
Old 29th April 2011, 14:59

Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only_human
I have four older sisters. No brothers . Out of the four sisters, I only really see one lol :/ and one other occasionally. The eldest lives in australia so that can't really be helped. The youngest is, well I won't go there, but we don't see eye to eye. It's a shame as i'd like a relationship with them all but then it has to be on their terms only and me conforming to their ideals/way of life which isn't for me so therefore if she can't accept me for who I am, don't be in my life. Simples.
Yeh I come form a big family and I have the same problem with my sister who's a year older than me...she feels she can tell me how to live my life and if it doesnt conform to her ideals she creates a rift....said rift has been going on for about 2 years now
Old 29th April 2011, 15:35

Mood
Musical

I have two older sisters when we were growing up we used to argue most of the time i guess living in the same house didn't help as they moved out to uni we got on alot better as we weren't tripping over all the time so we didn't argue... as the years gone by and everyone moved from the folks n settled into the house we get on great now... i wouldn't swap them for the world...
Old 29th April 2011, 15:47

Mood
Mellow

My sister tore at my self esteem, psychologically and physically (borderline sexually) abused me, enough said.

Always wished I had an older brother.
Old 29th April 2011, 16:38
Banned at own request

I don't have any siblings - and it's funny how sometimes people say I'd be different (as in not so socially anxious) if I had had a brother or sister: how could anyone know what effect it would have?
Closed Thread