Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th June 2011, 18:26

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: What does CBT involve?

Hey everybody, I have not posted in a while because I have been doing so great but wanted to check in and encourage everyone who is new to CBT. It's amazing if you work on the exercises regularly. I have come further than I ever expected and now just spend a few minutes almost everyday countering my thoughts in the TEA form and that's it. You can get here too
Old 16th July 2011, 22:23

My counseller was saying that as I really don't have any happy memories to build on, we have to make new happy memories.

I'll be impressed if it works.

I'm feeling guilty that I can't remember happy times, I feel as if I'm dissing my mum & dad. They did their best while dealing with problems of their own, my life isn't their fault
Old 12th August 2011, 03:14

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo1
Hey everybody, I have not posted in a while because I have been doing so great but wanted to check in and encourage everyone who is new to CBT. It's amazing if you work on the exercises regularly. I have come further than I ever expected and now just spend a few minutes almost everyday countering my thoughts in the TEA form and that's it. You can get here too
Good job mayo and I agree with your advice
Old 12th August 2011, 03:15

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb
I completely agree! I would not be where I am without all the early struggles and looking back they really were a small price to pay for the way I am feeling now. I still use the TEA forms a few times a week for precautionary reasons but I am pretty certain they are ingrained in me now
I think they are likely ingrained in me too but I keep doing them anyway just to be safe
Old 24th August 2011, 03:33

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth75
This is me.

Does CBT only work with irrational thoughts, or can it be applied to changing thoughts you have about yourself that are negative, but not irrational? Like, if there's something about yourself that you don't like and which stops you doing things, can you use CBT to change your negative attitude to it so you feel better about yourself? Hope that makes sense.
I think it can indeed. I also think you may find that some of those negatives thoughts you call rational are not in fact as rational as you think they are
I hope this helps and let me know if you have other questions about CBT or anything else
Old 24th August 2011, 03:46

I've been reffered for Group CBT but the waiting list is "11.5 months" which is annoying and I'm not hanging around waiting for the NHS for a year,

I guess someone here may be able to answer this...

is it possible/worth trying to start a 'cbt' type process myself?? i had CBT before in the kids service but I had a bad therapist who I didn't get on with, as far as I can tell it's pretty much exposure work right?
is it possible, or a good idea, to do something like that without a therapist? or do I really need someone to explain it/work it through/whatever?

thank you if anyone can answer this
Old 24th August 2011, 12:38

Mood
Thinking

I've been seeing a psychologist for CBT since the end of last year. I think I've spent most of the time disagreeing with her and arguing with her about the things she tries to tell me. I still go to see her, not sure why. I suppose it's kinda good to have a bit of regular moral support and a wee bit of encouragement.

The whole process seems to be based on the premiss that people are thoroughly nice and friendly and compassionate and empathetic, and that I should train myself to accept these ideas as facts. Mostly it seems like bullshit to me.

(Sorry for the negativity.)

Derek
Old 28th August 2011, 03:04

Mood
Artistic

Rainbowone,

I would definitely do it on your own because the therapist is really just a guide for you and it's the work you do in between sessions on yourself that determines if you are successful or not. Read the CBT book by Sam Obitz and start countering your thoughts in the TEA form exercise in it - everyday- and I think after a few weeks you will begin to see the difference it can make for you. I personally think you need to do the thought modification exercises like the TEA forms before you even begin doing any of the exposures. Hope this is helpful and best of luck
Old 28th August 2011, 03:07

Mood
Artistic

Derek,

What is your CBT therapist telling you that you disagree with? There are lots of good and bad therapists so it's important to know specifics to offer any advice. If she does not have you doing any thought countering exercises or exposures she is not very good. Remember it's the work you do on the exercises beween sessions that gives you the skills to thrive.
Old 6th February 2012, 19:30

Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine
Rainbowone,

I would definitely do it on your own because the therapist is really just a guide for you and it's the work you do in between sessions on yourself that determines if you are successful or not. Read the CBT book by Sam Obitz and start countering your thoughts in the TEA form exercise in it - everyday- and I think after a few weeks you will begin to see the difference it can make for you. I personally think you need to do the thought modification exercises like the TEA forms before you even begin doing any of the exposures. Hope this is helpful and best of luck
All good points Celine. The TEA forms in the book by Obitz as I have said before have been the key to my good outcome. Like you said in your other note, it is the work between sessions on the TEA forms that enabled me to get better
Old 13th February 2012, 04:43

Mood
Artistic

Thanks Herb. I hope you are well and I love the beat the dead horse smilie
Old 14th February 2012, 11:27

I would urge anybody suffering from social anxiety to give CBT a go. I had around 20+ sessions and two different CBT therapists over the course of around 9 months.

It helped me with my thinking patterns, but it didn't make much of an impact on the physical symptoms of SA. What annoys me about the medical profession is that they try and make out that CBT is a miracle cure for everybody with depression and anxiety. For some people, like myself, it didn't make too much of a difference and I am now on medication for the anxiety.

There are different types of counselling and therapy, it's all about finding what is best for each of our personal needs. Don't let the medical profession make you feel like a failure if CBT doesn't work for you.
Old 18th March 2012, 05:17

Mood
Cheeky

Valid points Chris. I would add that not all CBT therapists are good CBT therapists so what I got which worked wonders for me may not have been the same treatment you received. The TEA forms totally turned my thinking around and over time made a majority of my physical symptoms disappear, but it took time and a good deal of effort. CBT is not magic and I still do my TEA forms a few minutes everyday.
Old 14th May 2012, 23:29

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Valid points Chris. I would add that not all CBT therapists are good CBT therapists so what I got which worked wonders for me may not have been the same treatment you received. The TEA forms totally turned my thinking around and over time made a majority of my physical symptoms disappear, but it took time and a good deal of effort. CBT is not magic and I still do my TEA forms a few minutes everyday.
Really good analysis by both you herb and Chris.
Old 18th May 2012, 10:46

Mood
Hot

I've had 15 + cbt sessions through nhs and it is a gradual process of changing your thinking patterns until they become automatic. Like Eurochris said it doesn't so much change the way you feel, but I have found it changed my point of view which sometimes makes SA issues easier to address. I also completed a 20 week cbt audio course which I'm happy to supply foc if anyone wants a copy.
Old 30th May 2012, 03:26

Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
Quote:
Really good analysis by both you herb and Chris.
Thanks Celine. I think it is important for people to realize that CBT and the TEA forms though excellent resources, are not magic and it's up to you to use them if you want to get better.
Old 30th May 2012, 03:29

Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence
I've had 15 + cbt sessions through nhs and it is a gradual process of changing your thinking patterns until they become automatic. Like Eurochris said it doesn't so much change the way you feel, but I have found it changed my point of view which sometimes makes SA issues easier to address. I also completed a 20 week cbt audio course which I'm happy to supply foc if anyone wants a copy.
Excellent summation Clarence. I hope you continue to make even more progress
Old 24th June 2012, 06:37

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence
Good points and very helpful Clarence. I hope you continue to make progress
Old 24th June 2012, 13:33

Was that the Dr Richards audio tapes by any chance?
Old 24th June 2012, 13:49

Im in the process of CBT, its not looking promising im trying so hard putting myself out there, reading the etc. Feel so depressed and my anxiety is through the roof
Old 25th June 2012, 00:45

Mood
Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul180884
Im in the process of CBT, its not looking promising im trying so hard putting myself out there, reading the etc. Feel so depressed and my anxiety is through the roof
take heart, it's not impossible

May I suggest, if it's at all possible, trying another therapist? It may be a case of just not clicking with the one you have now, or that they're trying techniques that you don't reciprocate well to. I've been to two, one with the Counseling Service at my University last year, and the other on the NHS which I am currently on now. The guy at the Counseling Service, he was a good guy, and clearly had the credentials, knew what he was doing, he was the head of the department actually, but his techniques just didn't really work for me. But the one I am seeing now seems to be bringing out an improvement in my symptoms.

Don't give up on change happening because of one setback, alright?
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:00

Mood
Artistic

I agree with JA24. I found a lot of traditional therapists claim to do CBT but don't really know CBT well. The people I have turned on to it that dedicate themselves to the thought countering techniques like the TEA forms have had very good success with CBT.
Old 29th July 2012, 06:56

Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
I agree with JA24. I found a lot of traditional therapists claim to do CBT but don't really know CBT well. The people I have turned on to it that dedicate themselves to the thought countering techniques like the TEA forms have had very good success with CBT.
Ditto and well said. The TEA forms from Sam Obitz's cbt book have worked wonders for me, or shall I say I have used them to work wonders for me
Old 25th August 2012, 14:03

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Ditto and well said. The TEA forms from Sam Obitz's cbt book have worked wonders for me, or shall I say I have used them to work wonders for me
I like the way you said it here in a proactive rather than passive way. You deserve all the credit for your successes!
Old 27th August 2012, 01:17

Mood
Spaced

Hi everyone,

I seem to have joined this thread a little late, I also have a question about CBT.

I am going to ask my GP to refer me for CBT as soon as I feel brave enough. I am worried that it might involve writing things though. I've done a few Anxiety workbooks at home and there were forms in there for recording thoughts and challenging them, writing action plans and so on. I've mentioned on a thread here before that I have a real phobia about writing things down and that phobia gets even worse when I am writing down my irrational thoughts and fears where someone else might read it, so I had to give up on those books.

Can I do CBT without having to write anything down, or might I be expected to write things specifically to expose me to a social task I fear?
Old 27th August 2012, 01:28

^ Oh, shi... ugar. I believe that CBT does include alot of that sort of "homework", writing things down business. I tried CBT, years back but never really took it seriously enough and it didn't have much of an effect on me.

I'm sure if you explain that writing your feelings down isn't the way you want to go, they will interact in another way. I'm sure your not alone in your preferred methods.
Old 27th August 2012, 01:40

Mood
Spaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
^ Oh, shi... ugar. I believe that CBT does include alot of that sort of "homework", writing things down business. I tried CBT, years back but never really took it seriously enough and it didn't have much of an effect on me.

I'm sure if you explain that writing your feelings down isn't the way you want to go, they will interact in another way. I'm sure your not alone in your preferred methods.
Oh dear

I suppose I have to face my fear sometime. It's just so difficult for me to explain to people that I have a phobia of such an everyday task, hopefully if I do get some CBT the therapist will have experience of working with people who have the same fear. If I did fill in thought records and forms, would they ever start questioning me about things I haven't written very well, or show them to other people?
Old 27th August 2012, 01:49

^ They may do. Maybe. They won't push you though. As long as you state your preferences, you'll be fine... (I'm bloody useless)

Other people?? It's all confidential. Only people that need to know... know. I'm sure you have a greater say in that, even if you want to.
Old 27th August 2012, 01:50

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina
Oh dear

I suppose I have to face my fear sometime. It's just so difficult for me to explain to people that I have a phobia of such an everyday task, hopefully if I do get some CBT the therapist will have experience of working with people who have the same fear. If I did fill in thought records and forms, would they ever start questioning me about things I haven't written very well, or show them to other people?
Hi Mina,

Writing and countering your thoughts is a very integral part of CBT. However on the bright side the focus is on changing how you process what happens in your life and not critical at all about how well you write and will not be shared with anyone other than your therapist. Based on my experience I think facing this fear about writing will be very beneficial to you with the help of a good CBT practitioner. You will likely discover than this fear, like many others is irrational and not nearly as troubling as it seems to you in your head.

I hope this is helpful and that CBT will prove to help you feel a lot better
Old 27th August 2012, 02:01

^Yep, I like what she said.

Ignore what i said.