SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th May 2019, 11:39

Question Cutting out caffeine

Hi folks,

Has anyone here managed to completely cut out caffeine from their diet?

I currently drink 1-3 cups of black tea a day and have for many years. But now I am considering giving it up totally, as I read there are many health benefits to be had (once you've got over the withdrawal symptoms!).

So, my questions are:

1) When you quit, how long did it take for the withdrawal symptoms to disappear?
2) What eventual health benefits did you notice from quitting?
3) What drinks did you replace your tea/coffee etc. with?
4) What else can you do to help wake up in the morning?

Re. 3) one option is herbal teas, but most taste like crap in my experience – can someone recommend a herbal tea that actually tastes nice?

Re. possible health benefits, see here for example:

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/ben...tting-caffeine
https://www.healthline.com/health/fo...feine-benefits

There are quite many more such articles online.

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 5th May 2019, 12:42

Default Re: Cutting out caffeine

I have cut out caffeine in the past, as part of a detox, but only for about six weeks or so, with the last time being probably a decade ago; currently, I'm a total coffee addict (even though some people think it's overrated!) and get a headache if I don't have at least one cup per day.

Back when I was detoxing, I replaced my caffeinated drinks with fruit or herbal teas, but since then I have discovered red bush (or rooiboos), which I drink now even though I'm a caffeine addict; you drink black tea already, so it's probably not going to be too much of an adjustment. It's also possible to find red bush with added fruit flavourings (with orange is very nice) so if you don't like it plain, try experimenting.

From memory, I think withdrawal took maybe three to five days, but as I was detoxing at the same time, perhaps the other stuff I was cutting out helped. The most obvious benefit was a marked reduction in stress and anxiety, but also increased energy levels (eventually). Once through withdrawal, I didn't need anything to help me get started in the mornings, I was waking alert with good energy levels, perhaps because I was sleeping better.

I've just realised that I should detox when I get home!

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Old 5th May 2019, 23:10

Mood
Dreaming

Nothing I drink contains caffeine except coke if I'm driving a long way. That's not for health reasons but because I don't like the drinks it's found in. I haven't noticed any benefits from not drinking it. In fact, I wonder if I'd be less tired if I drank it more!

Green tea is ok but don't brew it for as long as suggested. I'd start with a few seconds and see if that suits. You can always dip the bag in for longer if you want it stronger. I also like Redbush/Rooibos and vanilla. Again, I don't make it very strong. Most people who like normal tea don't seem to like it but it may be worth a try. Both of these are supposed to have multiple health benefits too.
Old 6th May 2019, 05:35

Mood
Relaxed

I stopped drinking it quite a while ago, switching to decaf and then just off those types of drinks altogether.

I think It makes you calmer, less tense, much like giving up smoking.

I don't think I had withdrawal although I do miss a nice cup of tea now and then, I can always get decaf if i'm in the mood though, so makes no real odds.
Old 6th May 2019, 14:00

it's a big difference to me. I get an overaroused brain. Ironically it's also possible to get underaroused brain. Coffee can be a bit more of a bugger, its upps stress chemicals, and can make some people a bit more wild.

*I've just had some green tea, so I expect to be a bit more edgy tomorrow.
Old 7th May 2019, 11:29

Thanks, folks, for your interesting thoughts. I'm gonna go ahead and try it. Down to one cup a day now, and have decaf and herbal at the ready for when I go cold turkey after a week
Old 12th May 2019, 11:56

Mood
Sweettooth

I literally live on tea but over a year ago I was told it was a good idea to switch my tea for decaff teas as it could help reduce my anxiety a bit, I think I got a few headaches to start with but they soon went away and I didnt notice much difference in the taste so I still drink decaff and only occasionally Ill drink regular tea if Imout and dont have the option of what type of tea I;m drinking.
Old 12th May 2019, 13:26

Mood
Alienated

I have about 10 cups of coffee a day (give or take) - not exactly black/espresso but still decent heaped spoonfuls

I've never actively tried to give it up until last year when I was having stomach related..issues and was trying to juggle my intake around, drinking water and juices and such.

I would say it was about 9 weeks without having any, the first couple of weeks were the worst, I had a very short temper, was found at my desk at work swearing at everything and everyone and was generally in a right sulk After that wore off I just had a chronic headache that lasted ..most of the day, I also felt quite drained, but no temper anymore!

In the end I had a colonoscopy and got the all clear and when they offered me a load of food after the procedure I made sure I got a big cup of coffee as well After that I went straight back to it, I don't feel I have any of the negative effects that caffeine can come with but I'm aware I'm quite dependent on it. I'm aware if someone accidently gives me a cup of decaff though, not from taste as such but just my mood, doesnt feel right!

I'm not giving it up again, my life was personally no better without it!