SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th May 2020, 21:29

Default Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
£10 worth! bloody hell you must be keen
It was £8+. Goes up a quid each time i shop, can't help myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm
Speaking, of milk, whatever has happened to Pints (the small plastic bottles) of milk since lockdown? I dont think Ive seen one on sale since all this lockdown stuff started. Am I the only one who has noticed this?
Oh, is this a thing?? I don't shop for the little one's so i wouldn't know - i'm off milk atm anyway.
Old 8th May 2020, 00:12
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm
Ha, thats a pet hate of mine too when Ime out hiking!! I normally 'put the foot down' to pull away from them, and that usually works. But if the pace is too high, then Ill let them pass me. Cant stand folk hovering around behind me when Ime out on the hills.

Yep. Unless it is a woman. I hate being behind a woman when she is walking alone. I feel so uncomfortable.
So if I get murdered on my trek, it'll probably be by a woman
Old 8th May 2020, 01:15

Mood
Lonely

^ That's happened to me on dog walks, soooo many times!
Old 8th May 2020, 17:27
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

I want to go for a walk but there are people up and down the road sitting in deck chairs ffs.
I didn't realise that VE day meant lockdown was over.
Old 8th May 2020, 19:17

Is it normal to be very jumpy, i seem really sensitive to loud noise.
Old 8th May 2020, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs16
I have the same issue. Even just someone entering the room makes me jump. Hyper vigilance.

I asked my therapist about it once and he said it might be due to the cumulative trauma of things that happened in my life. It sort of makes sense, like how some people suffer when they've come back from wars or other horrible things.

Hopefully that hasn't happened to you but could be something to think about, it's not necessarily one big event but could be a series of smaller things over time (or not this at all)
Old 9th May 2020, 05:40

^ Thanks for your reply, I'm unsure why I'm like this if I'm completely honest.
Old 9th May 2020, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Willow
I want to go for a walk but there are people up and down the road sitting in deck chairs ffs.
I didn't realise that VE day meant lockdown was over.
It was like that in my road. I thought people were meant to stay in their front gardens but they had dragged their deckchairs right out into the road to be close to each other. There was no way that they were socially distancing. Even the people who are self isolating for 12 weeks were sitting in the middle of the road! When the lockdown is lifted slightly (as I assume it is about to be) it will be a green light for people to go back to how things were before the Pandemic. Accept the virus hasn't gone away

I had to pop to M&S yesterday for a few essential food items. Never again. Despite queuing up for 30 minutes beforehand there were far too many people in the store so keeping a safe distance was impossible. Two women who knew each other had stopped right in the middle of an aisle to have a chinwag. They were less than a metre apart. A number of people bumped into me or brushed up against me then seemed mystified when I looked less than pleased. Maybe they think it's just other people who can catch the virus and they are somehow immune.

End of rant

Quote:
Yes, I'm like this too newbs. I've been like this since I was a teen. I'm very sensitive to loud noises and sudden movements too. I used to jump out of my skin when someone came up behind me. They'd be embarrassed and apologise for making me jump and then I'd feel even worse.

I think being jumpy is no less normal than not being jumpy. It is what it is. Some people are naturally hyper sensitive to what's going on around them.

Of course, as Bambos says, some people who are suffering with PTSD because of past traumas suffer similarly and I've read that people on the Autistic spectrum can be hyper sensitive to noise too.

I think when your general stress levels start to reduce you will find that you aren't nearly as jumpy newbs
Old 9th May 2020, 11:00

Look at this VE Day celebration

https://twitter.com/MerseyHack/statu...680254465?s=19

I can't believe so many people from one street could be so dumb.
Old 9th May 2020, 15:49

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
It's certainly normal for me, the slightest thing can make me jump a mile.
Old 9th May 2020, 15:55
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.

I couldn't believe the number of people out on my street yesterday, all mingling with no thought about social distancing.
Sadly I think we will probably see a spike in Coronavirus cases in a couple of weeks time.
Old 9th May 2020, 15:56

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.

People just don't seem to have understood that any kind of congregating is dangerous. A lot of them are definitely not 6ft apart
Old 9th May 2020, 16:23

They've all danced through each other's breath, if one person in that line had it then several will have it now. It's crazy that the BBC are reporting on all these parties as if they're a good thing.

They'll be out clapping on Thursday though, so it's okay.
Old 9th May 2020, 17:28

Mood
Cynical

^ Yep, one minute it's stay at home save lives, next it's VE day let's all go out in the street together.....not a responsible message.
Old 9th May 2020, 18:01
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Little Richard has died .
Old 9th May 2020, 18:03
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I have a covid19 app which you report to everyday (when I remember). Normally it asks if you have had a test and do you feel normal. Today though I was asked all these questions abt my period and any contraceptives or hormones I might be taking
Old 9th May 2020, 18:43

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
Little Richard has died .
Yes, I saw that, but was very surprised as I thought he had been dead for DECADES!

He was a great showman, way back in the day, mind, and certainly was highly influential.
Old 9th May 2020, 18:47
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
Am I only the only one who sees that sort of group behaviour and finds it... nauseating? I'm not even referring to breathing in corona virus, which is another issue (arbitrarily keeping two meters apart is obviously not the overriding goal of social distancing: the goal is to minimise breathing in other people's exhalations. You could be a 1000 metres apart and that, too, would be meaningless if you closed that gap at Lamborghini speed).

That aside. It's the sheer puppetry of it that bothers me. Congo-ing with your neighbours - somehow arbitrarily linked to VE day? It's just cringy and conformist. Humans can so easily fall into step, exhibiting drone like behaviour - so easily driven to behave like everyone else. Platoons should be for soldiers, not civilians. Those humans could be any other humans. There's nothing unique or individuated there.

Maybe I'm a miserable moron, but I would never join any of these groups. Not least, as it is undignified to the cause (Millions died. What a pretext to fart about in the street) If I wish to commemorate VE day, I'll do it with my own thoughts, in my own way. Not through these low level expressions of human conformity.

I'm with you on this! I think its the false show of respect that bothers me rather than the conformity. It's abit like when a soldier is said to 'serve his country', shut the **** up. Every young dude joins the army for his own selfish reasons.

I never wear a poppy either. Its just all lame to me. The same way I find people who take photos of themselves doing everything. As if it's more important to show people 'how kind' they are rather than actually being kind. But, if that's what it takes to get people to be kind in this mad world, what can you do?!
Old 9th May 2020, 18:50

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Willow
I couldn't believe the number of people out on my street yesterday, all mingling with no thought about social distancing.
Sadly I think we will probably see a spike in Coronavirus cases in a couple of weeks time.
There will be Coronavirus spikes and 2nd/3rd waves etc in most countries anyway, over the next year or 2. It seems inevitable and unavoidable (unless we find a miracle cure, or keep the whole world locked up for ever).

Until the vast majority of the world has either been infected with the virus (or been vaccinated with a future vaccine), it will remain amongst us, somewhere or other.

I sincerely hope to be proved wrong in this though, but I dont think I will be.
Old 10th May 2020, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
It's the sheer puppetry of it that bothers me. Congo-ing with your neighbours - somehow arbitrarily linked to VE day? It's just cringy and conformist. Humans can so easily fall into step, exhibiting drone like behaviour - so easily driven to behave like everyone else. Platoons should be for soldiers, not civilians. Those humans could be any other humans. There's nothing unique or individuated there.

Maybe I'm a miserable moron, but I would never join any of these groups. Not least, as it is undignified to the cause (Millions died. What a pretext to fart about in the street) If I wish to commemorate VE day, I'll do it with my own thoughts, in my own way. Not through these low level expressions of human conformity.
It's a good job you don't live in my street

If you didn't join in with the weekly clapping or the VE celebrations you more or less get named and shamed on the local neighbourhood watch Facebook group. The way so many human beings behave like sheep and then guilt trip others into acting the same way has depressed the hell out of me recently

Also, my neighbour shared a video on Facebook where a bunch of young men were gathered in a group in the park. My neighbour included some pretty irate language about how people not following the government guidelines are putting others at risk and how the lads 'should do us all a favour and catch the virus and die'. Nice. This is the same neighbour who's daughter keeps moving from one household to another with her boyfriend. Everybody has something negative to say about other people breaking the rules but they always seem to think their own excuse is somehow acceptable. I'm hating the hypocrisy of it all. The phrase 'those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones' springs to mind.
Old 10th May 2020, 10:30

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consolida
If you didn't join in with the weekly clapping or the VE celebrations you more or less get named and shamed on the local neighbourhood watch Facebook group. The way so many human beings behave like sheep and then guilt trip others into acting the same way has depressed the hell out of me recently
That's disgusting and not what neighbourhood watch is about. It's whoever's in charge of that facebook group who should be named and shamed.
Old 10th May 2020, 16:02
Banned at own request

How to understand people speaking behind masks.

Lesson #1.

Do dee da bah? = Do you need a bag?
Old 10th May 2020, 21:31
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I can't be 100% sure as I only heard the tail end but i'm sure a woman has just gone up to my neighbours window and told him to keep it down. Be nice if somebody else stood up to him. He's got a load of ppl in there at the min, so I had my headphones in to try and block it all out.

Edit: if someone has - it doesn't seem to have stopped him more like spurred him on They have shut the windows though by the sound of it.
Old 10th May 2020, 22:27

What was the website that was a kind of fake local council for some strange place that was a cross between 70s public information films and The Wicker Man? Something like Scarthorpe?
I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old 10th May 2020, 22:48

scarfolk.blogspot.com
Old 10th May 2020, 22:59

^ thanks!
Old 12th May 2020, 16:25
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Has anyone heard the live lounge allstars 'In times like these' version?
I don't know what everyone else thinks but I thought it was superb. What a bundle of talent. And there wasn't one ugly person on that video. They were all beautiful. I usually find these sort of collaborations cringey. This could have easily slipped into that category but it just all worked well.
Old 12th May 2020, 17:29

Mood
Cynical

^ Yes, I really liked it too
Old 12th May 2020, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfect_perfectionist
Found out a teacher in my sixth form college died of covid. I can only imagine how hard that must be for students studying there.
wow what a screwup that is. They kept schools open longer than they should pursuing the herd immunity.
Old 13th May 2020, 19:54

Rush hour seems to be back. There were quite a few cars on the roads earlier, I was surprised so many people were going back to work. I'd got quite used to just stepping into the road to socially distance.