SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th July 2015, 17:15

Default Ever considered volunteering to teach abroad?

I have been talking about this for years now and done nothing about it (and probably never will). I have always wanted to go to Nepal, as the people seem lovely, especially the kids. But I'm afraid it would involve more than simply moving out of my comfort zone- more like jumping off the edge of it!! I'm in my late 30s now, living at home with crippling SA and no job. I don't feel excited or thrilled by the prospect of travel- just scared. But I'm getting desperate now. I am on the edge of middle age and can feel my self-esteem, energy and motivation evaporating as each month passes. I feel so wretched, so lonely and unhappy, so full of regret and shame that I sometimes feel I have nothing to lose. I need to break out of this suffocating little box I have trapped myself in before the door is locked for good. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Old 20th July 2015, 17:39
Global Moderator

Default Re: Ever considered volunteering to teach abroad?

Why don't you try and get a regular job first? Desperation doesn't sound like a good motivating factor to me. What have you done before and (roughly) what would you like to do long-term?
Old 20th July 2015, 17:43

Mood
Fine

Default Re: Ever considered volunteering to teach abroad?

I have been thinking about voluteering abroad for a few years I think its just getting myself in the right frame of mind and trying to get my anxiety at its lowest. Even if am doing okay on the anxiety front I would still not be able to teach, it woud be too nerve wracking, thought I could help with the physical stuff like building schools and other stuff though. Am not exactly in the same position as you as I am in my early 20's but I also have no job and live at home so I think I will be pursueing that in the near future. You should just go for it, break free from your boundaries and it will most likely be the best decision you have made. Experience another country awell as helping other people am guessing it would be quite fufilling.