SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th August 2023, 11:11

Default Not really fitting in at new jobs?

So in my previous job I had been in 10 plus years, not really sure what it was about them guys but SA wasn't really an issue for me, you know the way there are just some people who put you at ease, they see past the shyness and quietness and actually get the real you out?

Anyway, that company closed and I got made redundant in March, started new job almost instantly and well have struggled, these people had the old vibe I hate, they don't put you at ease, the shyness is viewed with suspicious, I go out of my way to be friendly, doesn't work, even the work, jobs I've done in the past I am nervous to do, you try not to make mistakes and do thing perfectly, what happens? You make a mess of it all, people avoid you and look down on you as stupid. In that job the new employer actually phoned my old boss as he thought I lied on my CV, my old boss gave a glowing review and phoned me to tell me. I was so embarrassed I quit. I've never quit a job before in my life but it showed that they thought of me.

I was lucky in that I got a new job almost instantly, anyway its going the same way, coworkers not liking me, you can feel the vibe and its not in my mind, and making mistakes because of nervousness. My son actually got me this job with his employer so I kinda feel bad for him,

Not sure what to do?
Old 19th August 2023, 20:39

Default Re: Not really fitting in at new jobs?

some places just aren't a fit. When I did temping I crossed different companies, and some companies were terrible you just wouldn't want to work there.
I think best idea is applying elsewhere whilst seeing if improves.
Old 19th August 2023, 21:01

Aw Dave. Sorry that you're going through all this stress. It definitely sounds like you've unfortunately gone from a great place to two rubbish places. The first job you speak about sounds like it was a great place to work!

We spend so much time at work, so finding a place where you feel valued and part of a team is essential.

Laurel is right - hang on in there for a bit whilst you look for something else. Keep telling yourself this is just temporary and something more welcoming will come along at some point. Hope you're not waiting too long
Old 4th September 2023, 18:34

Sorry to hear about your struggles! I walked out of another job a few weeks back because I was like you struggling. It was such a small office and I felt more self conscious. BUt I'm starting a new job in a much bigger office and I hear that there aren't many people in the office as most of the people work from home.

Is there any way you can find a fully remote job? That way you wouldn't have to be around people so much or find something part time?