SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st August 2023, 19:00

Default Alone forever

Feel like I'm going to be alone forever How do people deal with loneliness? It really just feels particularly bad at the moment
Old 21st August 2023, 20:10

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Alone forever

Sorry to hear you are feeling particularly bad at the moment. Its similar with me for the past few months.

Obviously this won't work for everyone, but I find just going and sitting in a cafe or a pub, or visiting a museum, or going for a long walk can help. As there will be social interaction involved, even if a lot of it is a bit false.

When visiting a cafe or pub, unless its one of the big souless chains, the person serving might strike up a conversation, or you can attempt to start one too.
I realise going in to a cafe or a pub is very difficult for some though.

With a museum, you might be able to ask a member of staff about one of the exhibits and have a chat that way.

A long walk would be more difficult for social interaction, however there have been a few occasions when i've passed another walker and theyve struck up a conversation and it made my day (or even my week). I've tried to strike up a conversation myself, sometimes it works, or sometimes they look at me like i'm some kind of freak, but sometimes worth a try.

I can't give much, or any, advice on meeting friends or potential partners though. That remains a complete mystery to me. Well, I made friends at uni but i'm really not sure how. Also good friends with a couple of people from SAUK too.
Old 21st August 2023, 21:18

Loneliness isn't something I struggle with, fortunately (except once in a blue moon). I don't need people around me. But I do find comfort in the company of cats, dogs, horses, (dolphins!) etc. Do you have a pet? It's difficult to feel alone when you have a pet around, and they aren't so exhausting as humans.
Old 21st August 2023, 21:50

I don't have any pets no
Old 21st August 2023, 22:37

^ Well would you consider it? They are great company and provide purpose.
Old 22nd August 2023, 08:17

I'm sorry to hear how you're feeling. I'm not very good at giving advice but wanted to let you know I can relate to this. I struggle with loneliness a lot too. I've always found it so difficult talking to people and don't really have any friends. I spend quite a lot of time with my family but I really wish I had some friends, that gets me down.
Old 22nd August 2023, 23:14

I get depressed about this sometimes too. I have a fair amount of interaction with people but I still get lonely, maybe because I'm often lying about feeling okay

What kind of social life do you think you'd like? I sometimes ask myself this and am not always sure. I'd like to make new friends but I think I'm quite picky and would rather be alone than with someone I don't really click with.

I also wonder about whether I'd feel so lonely if I didn't regularly see people together, like maybe there's a bit of fomo involved.