SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 13th January 2013, 22:31
Banned at own request

Default I think internet addiction is stopping me from living life & learning to deal with SA

Has anyone managed to decrease their internet usage?
I'm so dissatisfied with my life atm and constantly feel bored, I know I have college to go to and uni next year but I also want to focus on enjoying my life and improving my SA. Although education is good, I'm kind of at a conflict with it, I dont hate it but I hate how it seems like my wellbeing is ignored. But I guess most teens don't have to deal with SA and enjoy these years since they have the social life , friends and support.

Idk if I'm depressed or something but this weekend I've been so unproductive and on the internet most of the time. I'm meant to be revising for exams but get distracted so easily by the temptation to go online on my phone Today I was meant to iron but couldn't be asked to so all the clothes, I only managed a shirt and jeans.

I want to be less dependent on the internet but thats hard to do when my sister is mostly online and my family hardly does anything or meets anyone. I think I need something to look forward to and I wanna really make a practical start to improving my life.

It's like the internet = my life. I need the internet for communication through email and fb but I want to not spend every weekend joked in front of a screen.
Old 14th January 2013, 00:36
Banned at own request

Default Re: I think internet addiction is stopping me from living life & learning to deal wit

I need solutions to overcome this SA and improve my life. I kind of dont like that College is most of my life now. I probably need to look for ways to focus on overcoming SA despite having to go college . I probably don't see college as improving my SA or life since I don't really have good friends there or ppl that are interested in interacting with me.
I admit I'm not sure where to start with overcoming SA but I can't keep on having a bland life like this.
Old 14th January 2013, 01:55
Banned at own request

Default Re: I think internet addiction is stopping me from living life & learning to deal wit

I'm still not asleep as I'm thinking of this and my well being is as important as school I've decided for sure now.

I think the reason I have this really unproductive life is cause of a lack of structure. Although I seem to like freedom I think I need to add a little bit of structure and discipline to my life.
Old 14th January 2013, 12:29

You know, I'm the same. I'm an incredibly lazy person by nature and I almost always look to the internet for procrastination. It's a terrible habbit.
Old 14th January 2013, 16:12

5 of the last 10 years were without internet. And I was in exactly the same place, I simply found something else to fill my time with to ignore the world. Its not the internet thats to blame.
Old 15th January 2013, 00:09

how much time do you spend on the net retepe?
Old 15th January 2013, 00:12
Banned at own request

Idk, a lot, it varies, probably 4+ hours a day on holidays and about 2 hours or more on college days.
Old 15th January 2013, 00:22
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa1988
I'm like you too. I spend most of my life on the internet as I'm currently unemployed so I'm applying for jobs or either looking at holidays and day dreaming wishing I was far away from here lol, I should be doing something else with my life but I just can't face going out on my own so I sit at home and waste my time online. I hate my life!
We need to work on overcoming SA, I had an idea of trying to include myself a little more in the college community, since most of the time i'm at college, in hope that I would open up a bit and people stop judging me on how my SA makes me act and realise I'm just like anyone else. But tbh I have no idea how to do this, I don't really know of any groups at college which I would like to go too.
Old 15th January 2013, 01:36
Banned

Mood
Angelic

Think I need to stop interacting with fake people online and try to get out more, the web is full of weirdos anyway.
Old 15th January 2013, 07:03
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa1988
Have you been on therapy courses? Your doctor will put you on them. I was going to go on that course but didn't. I have tried confidence courses before through work programmes but they didn't help as people kept talking over me when I tried talking!
No I haven't been to therapy, I don't even go to my doctors unless v ill.
Old 15th January 2013, 08:56
Banned at own request

Mood
Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGun
Think I need to stop interacting with fake people online and try to get out more, the web is full of weirdos anyway.
True lol.
Old 15th January 2013, 14:24

I spent years online as all my family would be out working full time and I worked part time at a local supermarket as a cleaner. I'd be sat there sharpening my rhetoric on how Christianity beats athiesm, analysing birthcharts of dead movie stars, writing lame stories etc.

Often, when you're older you look back and think you should have done something more productive but obviously you recognise that now, which is good. All you have to do is find the motivation, you're on the right track.

You don't have to turn you're life upside down, use the internet if you want-that's what it's there for but then try something new. Joining a club or group that runs after college hours will bring you friends with common interests and thus greater confidence.

Balance your life out, take up learning to drive. If you don't have the cash apply for as many Saturday jobs as possible. When you are online look up local groups, they sometimes have young enterpreneur shops where you can make and sell stuff you've made, walk neighbours dogs, take up an outdoor sport or instrument etc.
Old 15th January 2013, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGun
Old 15th January 2013, 17:39
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion10
I spent years online as all my family would be out working full time and I worked part time at a local supermarket as a cleaner. I'd be sat there sharpening my rhetoric on how Christianity beats athiesm, analysing birthcharts of dead movie stars, writing lame stories etc.

Often, when you're older you look back and think you should have done something more productive but obviously you recognise that now, which is good. All you have to do is find the motivation, you're on the right track.

You don't have to turn you're life upside down, use the internet if you want-that's what it's there for but then try something new. Joining a club or group that runs after college hours will bring you friends with common interests and thus greater confidence.

Balance your life out, take up learning to drive. If you don't have the cash apply for as many Saturday jobs as possible. When you are online look up local groups, they sometimes have young enterpreneur shops where you can make and sell stuff you've made, walk neighbours dogs, take up an outdoor sport or instrument etc.
A good useful answer, thanks. Although it seems hard to get a job maybe I need to try more and understand the applying process.

I wanna learn some instruments but tbh need money to get quality instruments, the keyboard at home doesn't work properly, I want to meet people with similar interests.

Learning to drive is not in my mind but I know if I learnt it I would like the benefit of having a car to go anywhere.