SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th January 2013, 09:39
Banned at own request

Mood
Psychedelic

Default Wondering if anybody has experience with anti-anxiety meds?

Hello all

2013 is the year I'll be cured of SA (well, the determination is there, at least!). I have already put myself on the waiting list for CBT which they said can take unto 6 months. But in the meantime, I'm on propranolol. It did do wonders at first but as you all probably know, it doesn't take away the mental side of the SA so I still experience stuttering, stammering etc.

I want to be able to put on benzos for short term and when it's really necessary. I've tried them before, but only unprescribed and they really did help me significantly. I don't know whether my GP will be able to prescribe this for me. Given my history, they seem to want to help me as much as possible which is good.

Does anybody recommend diazepam? If so, how did you get your GP to prescribe it? I've already had amitriptyline but that did nothing, so anti-depressants won't work. I'm not depressed.. just want to rid the effects of anxiety when it's really necessary (for exams, flights etc). Also, I'm finding that the propranolol is making me have insomnia some nights so have trouble getting to sleep.

If anyone has experiences, please do share.

Thanks and have a good dayyy xx
Old 15th January 2013, 12:43
Banned

Mood
Angelic

Default Re: Wondering if anybody has experience with anti-anxiety meds?

Diazepam works but in much higher doses than you're likely to be given, my first CPN asked me why I didn't get them from a dealer, at the time I was shocked by this and asked for a new CPN but looking back now I see his point, the amount I get from my psychiatrist is a joke tbh.
Old 19th January 2013, 00:24

Mood
Mellow

Hi there,

As you can probably guess from the username, Diazepam definitely works. Unfortunately most doctors won't prescribe them as they can be addictive and will palm off citalopram on you or similar.

I think a lot of people get hysterical about benzodiazepines to be honest. Mind you, I don't have an addictive personality, and if I'm having a "good day" I don't take them at all.

I wasn't depressed either, just severely insomniac and with an anxious racing mind.

The diazepam does not make me talk or act more social, like alcohol would (which I actually don't enjoy as I just end up more embarrassed after) but it does calm me down and make me more productive as I have a rest from my poor brain.
Old 19th January 2013, 00:26

Mood
Mellow

Oh, and propranolol did next to nothing for me, and amitriptyline made me sleep, with the side effect of terrifying dreams.
Old 19th January 2013, 01:51
Banned

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGun
Diazepam works but in much higher doses than you're likely to be given, my first CPN asked me why I didn't get them from a dealer, at the time I was shocked by this and asked for a new CPN but looking back now I see his point, the amount I get from my psychiatrist is a joke tbh.
Why would you change your CPN just because he asked you that? I like his honesty
Old 19th January 2013, 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiazepamBrunette
Hi there,

As you can probably guess from the username, Diazepam definitely works. Unfortunately most doctors won't prescribe them as they can be addictive and will palm off citalopram on you or similar.

I think a lot of people get hysterical about benzodiazepines to be honest. Mind you, I don't have an addictive personality, and if I'm having a "good day" I don't take them at all.

I wasn't depressed either, just severely insomniac and with an anxious racing mind.

The diazepam does not make me talk or act more social, like alcohol would (which I actually don't enjoy as I just end up more embarrassed after) but it does calm me down and make me more productive as I have a rest from my poor brain.
It works until you have to withdraw and feel like you're falling off a 50 foot building every 3 minutes of your life. Convulsions are fun too.