SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 22nd August 2007, 21:01

Default Interfering Old Man

Advice please!!!

OK there's this old man that gets on my bus in the morning. When I say old I don't mean all shriveled and frail, he's quite bulky and about 65, he tends to stare at people at the bus stop too which really pisses me off. He looks one of the types to call a stranger disgusting for smoking. Up his own arse basically.

Anyway, last week I gets on and picks up a free metro paper and when I sat down realised I had picked up 2 by mistake so I put one of the seat opposite me. The said old man was sat in the seat behind and got up went round and picked up the paper. I thought he was going to sit back down and read it but oh no. He took it to the front of the bus and put it back in the metal box thing then went and sat down again.

So, I was annoyed at him interfering and doing this merely so he can look down his nose at me and moan about me to other similar old person.

Yesterday morning I gets on and picks up only the one paper this time (phew I hear you say) and when I was getting off I noticed busybody old man looking at me from side of his eye. When I gets up to get off, I turned round and seen him picking up the paper I had been reading that I'd left on my seat and put it back. AGAIN>

He is doing my nut in!

So basically, I need to know what to do tomorrow when I get the bus. I don't want to put the paper back at the end of the journey cos then he'd win and I can picture his self-satisfied smug grin and I can't bear it.

What would you do?
Old 22nd August 2007, 21:15

Default Re: Interfering Old Man

Yes I know but he's making feel guilty for leaving it there now because

a) I'm a selfish young person who can't put something back (even though I like it when a paper is on the seat when u have forgotten to pick one up)

b) I have an old man cleaning up after me

It's the fact that I bet he's getting enjoyment out of this in his self-righteous way. He actually watched me from corner of his eye to see if I had left the paper on the seat.
Old 22nd August 2007, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualcore
Take the paper off the bus with ya and pop it right in the bin at the bus stop, look at him and smirk!
Ooh I really want to do that!! Oh that would wipe the grin from his face, he'd be crestfallen.
Old 22nd August 2007, 21:21

Mood
Dramaqueen

I'd take the paper home with me!

Next time he does it say 'ever thought of getting a job as a bus cleaner mate, you'd do really well' See, that aint nasty yet it's making a light hearted point!

Just continue as you are, you're doing nothing wrong, if he's got a problem let him get on with it, if he's like you say someone will put him in his place one day.
Old 22nd August 2007, 21:39

Mood
Innocent

get a few copies of the metro (day old ones will do) and leave them scattered on a few empty seats throughout the bus as you leave
Old 22nd August 2007, 21:46

Mood
Pensive

My advice is just don't let it bother you. It's really not important.
Old 22nd August 2007, 21:49

Mood
Shoveit

Ignore and make light of it. Or get violent
Old 22nd August 2007, 21:53
nothing_to_say

Jump up and point "that man stole my paper, help, police"
Old 22nd August 2007, 22:25

Mood
Cool

I used to have this problem with a guy who'd try and tell me off for putting my feet on the seats, some people just love to believe they're in charge.
Old 22nd August 2007, 22:44

ok I guess the general consensus is just keep doing it. bet his anger builds up and builds up and by next week he'll be stealing seats from pregnant women.

I'll see what happens tomorrow. Maybe I should should chuck some litter around too. Wonder if he picks up my bus ticket too
Old 22nd August 2007, 23:08

Mood
Sneaky

if you see him omn the bus a lot, if i were you, i would smile at hmi when i got on the bus and say "good morning!"...this is like a gesture where you proclaim your percieved innocence, and give him the opportunity to bring up his stupid grievance - or forever hold his tongue.
Old 22nd August 2007, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullenskink
if you see him omn the bus a lot, if i were you, i would smile at hmi when i got on the bus and say "good morning!"...this is like a gesture where you proclaim your percieved innocence, and give him the opportunity to bring up his stupid grievance - or forever hold his tongue.
Thats a good idea. Then it's like I have the moral high ground as I am being open and friendly while he is being sneaky.

I smile at him when he STARES at me at the bus stop but he always looks away, tomorrow I'll smile my sweetest smile and say 'Good morning'. From then all I'll be innocent and shall litter up the bus to my hearts desire. I may even ask him to move as I wish to place a metro on his seat.
Old 22nd August 2007, 23:41
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Get on the bus, pick up two papers and make a move towards your seat. On the way, pass by busybody old bloke and give him one of the papers. Say something like you've noticed that he has a thing for the news and you thought that he might like to have a look at the paper. See what his reaction is.
Old 22nd August 2007, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultus
Get on the bus, pick up two papers and make a move towards your seat. On the way, pass by busybody old bloke and give him one of the papers. Say something like you've noticed that he has a thing for the news and you thought that he might like to have a look at the paper. See what his reaction is.
I'd love to
Old 22nd August 2007, 23:50
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Starla*
I'd love to
Go for it - you know you wanna! Consider it the SA busybody-on-bus newspaper challenge! Good luck
Old 23rd August 2007, 00:47

Superglue the paper to the seat so when he picks it up it rips then tell the driver the old man is tearing up newspapers!
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D66
Superglue the paper to the seat so when he picks it up it rips then tell the driver the old man is tearing up newspapers!
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:40

Mood
Innocent

That's Brilliant! Reminds me of the old 'glue 50p to the floor' trick, or the £5 note attached to some fishing line!
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:49

OK well today he was fairly well behaved. he got on before me and I think he was quite upset as there was a newspaper on almost every seat - imagine! So I picks one up from the front then when I walked past him he goes "I've two papers here if you want one" to which I replied "No I have one here thanks". He could see I had one and probably watched me pick one up.

I have now worked out that he is probably just a bit strange.

I shall continue not to put the paper back.
Old 23rd August 2007, 18:07
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Starla*
I shall continue not to put the paper back.
You go, girl!

You have successfully passed the SA busybody-on-bus newspaper challenge!
Old 23rd August 2007, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultus
You go, girl!

You have successfully passed the SA busybody-on-bus newspaper challenge!

Wow, I'm so proud . I look forward to my congratulations card :D.
Old 23rd August 2007, 18:23

All good fun!

But...

You could possibly look at things a different way....

You say this man is a bit strange. People could say this of many of us who post on these boards. Maybe he suffers from OCD and cannot help his behaviour? Irritating it may be, but perhaps it would be best to ignore this man. Either way, you will not be pandering to his moral superiority, but conversely you will not be mentally tormenting him. Read your paper, leave it on your seat. You go your way, he goes his.
Old 23rd August 2007, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spud
All good fun!

But...

You could possibly look at things a different way....

You say this man is a bit strange. People could say this of many of us who post on these boards. Maybe he suffers from OCD and cannot help his behaviour? Irritating it may be, but perhaps it would be best to ignore this man. Either way, you will not be pandering to his moral superiority, but conversely you will not be mentally tormenting him. Read your paper, leave it on your seat. You go your way, he goes his.
It's only irritating in that he makes me feel guilty and uncomfortable now whenever I get a free paper. I worry when I get off that he's going to get it and put it back for me!

I don't like being told what to do or be shamed into doing the opposite of what I usually do.

It's his problem not mine. If I look at it factually then it's simple.
Closed Thread