SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 17th April 2009, 19:25

Mood
Tired

Default amitriptyline?

i have been told to take (1) 25mg tab at night then 2, 3, 4 and stay at (4) 25mg (100mg) but i started by taking 1 tab yesterday (25mg) and now i feel phisicly sick and feel preasure round my chest.

i have been measuring my heart rate and its at 76bpm which is normal

is the feeling sick and chest preasure normal side effects?
Old 17th April 2009, 20:20

Default Re: amitriptyline?

Tell your doctor.
Old 17th April 2009, 21:07

Mood
Tired

well it hasn't got any worse but its still there i cant realy explain its like cold tingly hungry feeling but in my chest

took 50mg a minuite ago but not sure if i should have

shold i get very worried?
Old 17th April 2009, 21:38

Mood
Tired

ok so i'm getting a mild pain on the right hand side of my chest and i am looking after my brothers three kids on my own for the weekend

if it gets any worse im going to get realy scared i'm at a slight panic now
Old 17th April 2009, 22:40

Mood
Dramaqueen

People react differently to medication -so tell your doctor.

I take it, but I didn't have those side effects when I started. I did have dry mouth and extreme dizziness, the dizziness went after a few days, the dry mouth took longer.

However, I am a wuss when it comes to medication and I always insist that I start on really tiny doses, and come off really gradually. It does come in 10 mg tabs.

Oh forgot, the first time (as in the first time I took it for a long period) I had frequent horrific nightmares, but haven't had any more than normal this time.
Old 17th April 2009, 23:02

Are you sure your chest pressure isn't an anxiety response to the medication?

It's very unlikely that any anti-depressant will cause chest pressure. It sounds as if it's psychologically induced as a result of taking the medication rather than a cause of the medication itself.

But if your chest pressure doesn't ease you might want to think about stopping the medication and calling your Doctor.

As for nausea? Welcome to the wonderful world of anti-depressants! The medication you are on is called a Tricyclic. They work on neurotransmiiters in the brain in a slightly cruder way than more modern ones such as SSRI's, thus resulting in a higher side effects profile.
Frankly, if you weren't feeling some degree of nausea as a result of taking amitriptyline then I would suspect you were on a placebo.
Old 17th April 2009, 23:07

Mood
Pensive

I took amitryptiline for a sleep disorder and experienced no nausea, just terrible daytime tiredness.

So Professor ThoughtfulGuy, whaddya make of that???
Old 17th April 2009, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balea
I took amitryptiline for a sleep disorder and experienced no nausea, just terrible daytime tiredness.

So Professor ThoughtfulGuy, whaddya make of that???
Well, Im not a professor.. far from it.

But I do advise you to read some of the clinical trials that are undertaken by drug companies into both the effectiveness and the side effects of drugs.

Will every single person who takes amitriptyline experience nausea? No. But a very significant proportion will.

As with all medications, side effects fall along a spectrum with the more severe at one end and the less severe at the other. People, when they take pills (for whatever ailment) will fall somewhere along that spectrum in terms of side effects. Ideally, for drug companies, they want the majority of people falling within the less severe end (afterall there is big money to be made!) but inevitably, some will fall at the end of the spectrum with the more serious side effects. Why some people experience more side effects compared to others is not known.

Data from clinical trials are available online. They are written for medical professionals (so there terminolgy can make for a challenging read!), but nonetheless, this data is available to the lay person. You just need to do a little investigating.
Afterall, you owe it to yourself to arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can, because the only person who is ever going to get you better is you!
Closed Thread