SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 13th August 2007, 18:29

Default great beginning.

ok... I just started a new class and everything seemed to be going fine - the teacher was nice and I wasnt that nervous, but then he said that everybody should say a little about themselves

I just wanted to jump out of the window but luckily I sat in the other side of the room so I couldnt. but anyway of couse I was the last to be asked so I had a long time to get really nervous and I praticed the lines over and over again in my head.

when the teacher said my name I thought I couldnt talk for a sekund but then I said what had to be said... and it all sounded pretty normal and I dont think anyone noticed that I was nervous
Old 14th August 2007, 10:21

Default Re: great beginning.

Well Done! I hate that part of courses! The problem is I do go very red so its quite obvious I'm nervous..
Old 14th August 2007, 14:18

yeah it is really stupid, no one has anything interesting to say anyway
I usually blush too... for some reason not this time. I think a lot of people are a bit nervous in class room situations. I have seen people who normally dont have proplems in other social situations get nervous... especially if they say something wrong. Its probably pretty normal. It helps to think about that somtimes.
Old 16th August 2007, 23:27

Mood
Pensive

Well done parasite - I'm glad you didn't jump out of the window
Old 19th August 2007, 01:24

Mood
Balanced

Why do teachers do that? I think most teachers who do that are pretty useless. Nobody actually gets anything out of it. No one is listening to each other. They are all just planning what to say when it gets to be their turn.

I was in a film class with this utterly useless lecturer. She didn't even give a hint as to what to say. She just finished her (tedious) introduction, looked at the first person to her left, and raised her eyebrows. I think what she was trying to say was "Film...discuss". A horrible thing to do to people in their first lesson (especially ME). Its not that hard if you are a teacher to come up with ways to get people relaxed and involved in their first lesson.

Another lecturer thought that everyone should make a comment in every class. So 1 minute before the end she would go round each person and demand a comment, any comment, about anything at all that had occurred in the seminar. By then everyone just wanted to leave, so they'd spout any old bollocks and leg it.

Lecturers are shit. Mine were anyway.

Umm oh yeah and well done by the way
Old 19th August 2007, 01:26

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkHippo
Well done parasite. I hate having to do that, it's so unecessary, and even non-anxious people don't like it. i remember the last time I had to do it, I just said my name, age and that I had nothign else of interest to say... but some people said even less than that so I didn't feel too bad about it.

Laura x
Heehee I will remember that tactic for next time. If someone said that in one of my classes I'd think they were pretty damn cool
Closed Thread