SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 16th March 2008, 00:07

Default Situations that SA doesn't affect you

Is there any?
I was just thinking about this today after playing football (we won 3-2, and are know in the semi-finals of the cup ) but while playing football i'm the complete opposite of my normal self in any other situation.
I moan at the ref, i argue with opposing team players, i shout at my own team (in a nice way ). While playing football ive always been like this. Between the ages of 9-15 i was the captain of my team, pretty much just cos i was the one who shouted the most.
People who know and see me play football for the first time, i always very surprised, cos im so quiet normally. I have no idea why playing football makes me any different. So, i just wondered if anyone else is like this, maybe while playing sports?
Old 16th March 2008, 10:55

Mood
Worried

Default Re: Situations that SA doesn't affect you

Yep, I think when it's something I'm passionate about I feel fine. I can't relate to the sports thing, as I avoid them like the plague, hehe, but I love my music, I'm a gig obsessive and I don't feel anxious at all going to them by myself.
Old 16th March 2008, 11:59

Anywhere or thing where people are not, or machinery connected to people. (sounds odd picturing robots now) My SA is not so bad being around strangers or people unlikely to be trying to get into deep conversation with me. I can be o.k in crowds, (depending on how I'm feeling), in towns with lots of people its when they start talking to me I get anxious. I can go to watch a band play and be happy even dance if enough people are but when any focus (for what is probably a few seconds but feels forever) comes on me that causes the anxiety. I can often cope with the brief focus from other people its the prolonged that can become like agony.
Old 16th March 2008, 14:01

Mood
Musical

Well i can go clubbing and dance on my own in the club, i love dancing and when i dance i forget all my probs plus it relaxes me, i don't care if people look at me coz i'm havin fun and thats the main thing havin fun, also going to Gigs on my own i love live bands plus love going to Glastonbury.... i guess i'm abit weird
Old 16th March 2008, 20:39

Mood
Lurking

I play on the wing for my rugby team, and I would expect myself to be self-conscious of taunts from opposition members on the touchline and banter about my performance betwene parents. Yet I am able to ignore it all, and get stuck in. I even get into a few altercations, and I am a bit of a faggot off the pitch.

As many have already stated, yeah, passion comes into play. I live for rugby, it gives my life meaning.
Closed Thread