SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 19th August 2010, 11:31

Default Those of you who work full-time and have regular CBT/therapy sessions on the NHS...

...how do you fit it in? I've decided that enough is enough and want to try and get psychoanalytic therapy on the NHS (or CBT at the very least, I've had counselling before and found it too 'basic', it didn't really help after a while) but I believe most therapists are only available during working hours and I've no idea how I'm going to fit it in (I work 8 to half 4, Mon-Fri)?

Also, if you have managed to balance the two, how often do you have your sessions? Have you told your employer? Or maybe some of you have gone down the private therapy route? Any help/advice would be handy
Old 19th August 2010, 11:37

Default Re: Those of you who work full-time and have regular CBT/therapy sessions on the NHS.

I recently paid for some private therapy for which I had 4 sessions. It wasnt that hard to fit them in, however im not sure that I will go for the final sessions.

For me it all seemed a bit superficial and one session was particularly upsetting in which I was told to back to my childhood and talk to myself as a child. I ended up breaking down and sobbing and it left me with some difficult feelngs which have never been followed up.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:53

Mood
Fiendish

Default Re: Those of you who work full-time and have regular CBT/therapy sessions on the NHS.

Andrew I am off of work at the moment with depression and should be starting CBT soon. Hopefully it won't be long before I go back to work and I will probably have the CBT sessions during work time. My employers are aware of my problems and are sympathetic so I know they will allow me to take time off.
Are your employers aware that you suffer from SA ?
Old 19th August 2010, 12:27

You'll find it varies by area, but the NHS in my area offers sessions up to 8pm most weeknights. I suspect you already know your area doesn't though, hence the question. If it wasn't them offering sessions outside 9-5 I wouldn't have gone - couldn't have faced asking work to get out early and having the give the reason.
Old 19th August 2010, 13:58

Mood
Curious

When I had CBT I told my employer I had SA and needed this treatment, they were happy to help me. I did the therapy once a week for an hour at the times that were best for me. It really helped me and people around me noticed I seemed more confident. I since have relapsed (is that right word? I dunno). I have been on a waiting list for about 5 month now to do CBT again. During that 5 month, I went private and didn't find it very helpful and it was expensive.
I have started doing an audio CBT series by a Dr. Richards. I have been doing it for 3 week now and it is really helping me more than anything I have tried before. The course is 20 week long, its expensive but I downloaded it of a torrent site
Its worth a look at

The audio series is called -Overcoming Social Anxiety step by step by Dr. Richards
Old 19th August 2010, 16:41

Mood
Lurking

I will look for that torrent I think that it could prove useful to me.
Old 22nd August 2010, 17:58

Thanks for the replies folks - fitting it around a full-time job doesn't look too promising then judging by the (lack of) replies :-s I really want to work with someone on getting better, I know I wouldn't have the motivation to stick to a self-help course!

Unsure1 - no they're not although frankly, they could probably guess from my demeanour at work. I did tell them once that I'd suffered from depression in the past (before I'd started the job) which is the main reason I'm wanting to do this, rather than SA...

LongerTripBackHome - I haven't actually spoken to my doctor yet about what's available and when, I just did a bit of my own research so I might well have missed something. I'll make an appointment to see my doc next week but I'm in the same boat too, I want to avoid having to tell my employers at all costs. I might not have a choice though
Old 24th August 2010, 10:52

Mood
Sad

I work full time aswell and was really worrying about this..... but then I went for my assessment and the waiting list in my area for CBT is 12-18 months long anyway, so I have just put it too the back of my mind and I will worry about it when it comes up, think I will say I am having to go for physio or something rather than tell them the truth.
Old 24th August 2010, 13:38

Mood
Alienated

I work normal office hours and have weekly psychotherapy sessions on the NHS. These are on a Monday morning and I've been having them for 2 years now (I thought they might have told me I've had my allocation by now but I'll keep going wile they're being offered).

My employer (also the NHS) is aware that I'm having the appointments and I make up the time by getting in a bit early the rest of the week, having short lunches etc.

It has to be said that my boss and the people I actually work with have been pretty good about everything. I was given a real mauling by Occupational Health some time ago after I was off sick for 2 weeks (having been signed off by my GP) but the OH woman backpedalled sharply when she found out that I had the weekly appointments - I think she thought I was malingering and was taken aback to find out that I had a genuine mental health problem.
Closed Thread