Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 10th February 2009, 16:25

Mood
Torn

Question The Freemasons

Just wondering, does anyone know much about this, or know anyone who's a member?

I know it's an all-male society steeped in tradition and ritual, and that it's made up of smaller groups based on a town / profession / background etc. And there's some sort of belief in a deity. But that's about my limit.

I was speaking to someone who plays piano at freemason events occasionally. He tried explaining to me what it was about. But I didn't really get it, and well, neither did he..
Old 10th February 2009, 16:50

Mood
Inspired

Default Re: The Freemasons

ma dad was 1..
nt sure atall what they do bt =s x
Old 10th February 2009, 17:55

Mood
Cool

I'd like to thank them for including Bailey Tzuke in their Uninvited video.
Old 10th February 2009, 18:18

Mood
Curious

I know a few Freemasons. And since they won't tell me what it's all about, all I can tell you is that they go to meets, roll trouser legs up, repeat silly verses and get STAGGERINGLY drunk.
Old 10th February 2009, 18:26

They still seem to hold some sway behind the scenes; if you want to get anywhere in the police force or airline business, for instance, better get practising that pervy pinky handshake...
Old 10th February 2009, 18:42

Mood
Torn

heh, yes I was wondering along those lines, any rumours of dark deals and powerful influence.

Wikepedia says it's an organisation that's occupied with charitable work and moral uprightness.
Old 10th February 2009, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukri
Wikepedia says it's an organisation that's occupied with charitable work and moral uprightness.
pah - that's just what they want you to believe.

ha, i know feck all about them really. except that my granny was in the 'female version' - the Eastern Star i think it was called. she just loved being uncharacteristically coy about it all. i had visions of it being like a coven or something, but i strongly doubt my granny was that exciting, if i'm being realistic about it.
Old 10th February 2009, 19:56

It's probably just a bunch of middle aged weirdos dressing up and behaving in a childish manner.

I think the whole secrecy thing around the masons is just a ploy to make it all seem a bit more exciting. Having a club where only members know what is going on allows them to think they are a bit superior - like the scientologists I suppose. I very much doubt that they have any earth shattering knowledge that they have to guard to prevent any normal people finding out.
Old 10th February 2009, 21:00

Mood
Pensive

I have a feeling that none of the people who go there know what it's all about. They just look at the others and wonder what they know and think they must know something but yet nobody actually knows anything, as there is nothing to know, therefore the whole things a bit pointless .
Old 12th February 2009, 11:09

My partners Grandfather is a member, a pretty high one too from what i gather. He has quite a high standing in the community and was a chief inspector or something in the police.

I've never really quizzed him about it, but supposedly they aren't that secret - anyone can apply to join. I suspect they sit around drinking brandy and putting the world to rights.

I'd apply to join, but i think you have to be highly religious.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:29

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel
My partners Grandfather is a member, a pretty high one too from what i gather. He has quite a high standing in the community and was a chief inspector or something in the police.
What concerns people about the Freemansons is would he have risen to the rank of Chief Inspector if he was not a Freemason?
Closed Thread