SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd September 2015, 18:46
Banned

Default Adult colouring-in books

I think this trend began in America and this summer these books seemed to be everywhere. I have one with an inspirational quote on one page and the picture on the facing page. There are so many things I need to do, but I can't select just one to do. It's similar to the way a school of fish forms to protect the individuals from predators. There are so many fish and they are always moving quickly, the shoal morphing and changing form. The predator is confused and so, despite there being thousands of fish, it can't even catch one. A bit like that, I can't pin anything down. I suppose colouring these illustrations is supposed to be calming and therapeutic. Has anyone else tried this activity?
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:36

Default Re: Adult colouring-in books

Yes, I quite enjoy it. I'm not much of a drawer and this gives me the change to live those "golden age of illustration" dreams...
Old 3rd September 2015, 22:23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by umm
Yes, I quite enjoy it. I'm not much of a drawer and this gives me the change to live those "golden age of illustration" dreams...
Yeah, I originally dismissed these as a gimmick or an airy therapy, but when I'm actually working on one it is surprising how much like meditation it is when concentrating on it. Like tunnel vision. There is a goal to work towards. I think painting or drawing, or creating an artwork, doesn't contain this concentration/escape dimension (at least not as much; and it has many better dimensions) as you can't 'go wrong' when you are creating a painting as you can correct it. There must be billions of colour combinations, too. I bet no two are the same. It's relaxing.
Old 4th September 2015, 00:29

Mood
Starving

Colouring in is for children.

*Secretly enjoys colouring in with niece.
Old 15th September 2015, 23:08

Mood
Sweettooth

I've seen a lot of those adult colouring books around, I'm not sure it's for me although I don't know unless I brought one and gave it a try, it may be very therapeutic and keep the mind distracted for a while.