SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th May 2023, 17:26

Default Dyslexia

Does anyone here have dyslexia?

I do and I've got question... is it known to effect you ability to take in instructions?

Of course it effects my reading/writing/spelling, but the thing I also struggle with is taking instructions. When something is explained to me (for example, doing a certain task at work that's new to me), my brain does take in the information and the key words, but they're all jumbled up in my head and I'm trying to connect the dots in a way that makes sense to me. The way I deal with this is ask follow up questions, ask to be shown, perhaps shown in different ways, and then the dots begin to connect, it becomes clearer and everything makes sense.

I regularly see people at work that just needs to hear instructions initially and instantly get it. Whereas I'm like "how did you get it so fast, where's your follow up questions, how are the dots connected already just by hearing that one simple sentence? Am I that stupid?"

Like I've said, it mainly occurs when learning something new or being asked to do something new or something familiar but in a different way. But once I get it, it's burnt into my memory and there's no stopping me.

Is this a dyslexia thing, or is this a stupid thing?
Old 26th May 2023, 17:38

Default Re: Dyslexia

The reason I connect it to dyslexia is because I vaguely remember hearing there was a connection
Old 26th May 2023, 17:41

Mood
Cynical

I don't have dyslexia but I have heard that this particular thing is to do with processing and can be part of dyslexia. So I think you're probably right and there is a connection.
Old 26th May 2023, 18:10

I've studied dyslexia - and yep, verbal/language processing and verbal memory is a big part of dyslexia.

Anxiety also makes it even trickier to take in new info.
Old 26th May 2023, 21:29

Mood
Breezy

I have the information processing problem of dyslexia
Old 27th May 2023, 14:20

Also it's definitely in no way stupid to need things presented in a different way. It just means you process things in a different way to how they're presenting it to you. It's good that you know how to make it easier for you to process information and you inevitably teach people how to adapt their explanations. I bet it helps them when they explain it to someone else because they will take on what you found helpful. I'm similar in that when people just talk at me I find it too much information. I need things broken down into chunks and someone guiding me through the process.

The thing is when people are expert at something they find it difficult to explain it to others because they're not putting themselves in the position of being a novice.
Old 27th May 2023, 14:57

Mood
Breezy

Excellent post biscuits, have a kitten.
Old 27th May 2023, 15:13

^ aw thank you. oh wow, what a treat!
Old 27th May 2023, 20:16

Biscuit, thank you, that info was valuable to me. I've always wanted to know if it was related to dyslexia, so it's reassuring to hear it confirmed and that I'm not entirely stupid.

I think in some ways the way I process information has allowed me to explain instructions to others really well, especially to my children.

And it's a good point you raise, I also do think anxiety doesn't help either. I also wonder if my OCD plays a part too, prone to wanting things to be "perfect", like I want to know that my knowledge of something is airtight and thoroughly understood from all angles.
Old 1st June 2023, 14:28

I learned very early on to always carry a notepad and pen around at work (and in general). I write everything down immediately and rely on that instead of my memory. It's made me more organised than most non-dyslexic people I've worked with. To the point where it's usually me that's remembering things on other people's behalf.

If you know your brain doesn't do things a certain way, then instead of trying to force it, just find workarounds. It doesn't matter if people question why you insist on taking notes all the time. If you are reaching the same end goal then it shouldn't be an issue to them.