SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th January 2015, 21:13

Mood
Torn

Default Going to the gym

Okay, so I wanna get fit. I'm not a big lad and have a very limited social circle.
I keep wanting to go to the gym to achieve my goal of getting fitter and healthier and hopefully build confidence.
Problem is, I daren't step foot in a gym.
I daren't go because I might see someone I know and make a fool of myself.
And if there isn't anyone I know, I might be scoffed at by a load of strangers.

Does anyone go to the gym?
Got any tips?
Old 17th January 2015, 21:28

Mood
Mellow

Default Re: Going to the gym

I had a gym membership last year but only went a handful of times. Mostly due to work and family commitments and it being the other side of town. I had a home gym b4 that in my garage, much more convenient. Im now in the process of building one where i am now.
Theres loads you could do at home to get yourself accustomed to training. Push ups, chin up, squats etc.
You'll get an induction at your gym on using the equipment. Most ppl are there to train so will be focusing on their own workout. Take a log book, stick your ear buds in and look busy. Best of luck, its a great confidence builder
Old 17th January 2015, 21:33

I go to the gym regularly. I promise the majority of people do not care about other people in there as they are doing their own thing. Bring some music and do what you are comfortable with. Its scary at first but the more you do it the more you will get used to it. x
Old 17th January 2015, 21:36

Mood
Lurking

You should go to the gym! it really helps, in 2013 i went for the whole year 5 days a week and was pretty well built. My confidence went up quite a bit and almost made a new friend, i also approached a girl for the first time in my life lol. But in 2014 i started my first job and it ruined the routine and everything went to shit after that. I started again though on new years (quit my job) and i hope i unlock my true self again it was awesome! Go to the gym! i recommend "pure gym" because it is a 24 hour one and you can go before work to give you that boost you need for the day, or if you dont have a job, go at about 12am + when ther is no one in there. Good luck if you do.
Old 17th January 2015, 21:51

Mood
Breezy

Buy a set of second weights off ebay and get yourself a bench and a power-rack (only £200 these days) so you can train safely at home (if you have the room). You could have your own gym at home and never have to wait for some idiot to finish his 1/4 range bench reps or to finish doing their power curls in the squat rack again!
Old 17th January 2015, 22:39

Mood
Bashful

Go to the gym if you want to, just realise no-one is really paying attention to you. But realise you absolutely do no need to go to the gym to get fit or gain muscle, you can buy the equipment to use at home (e.g weight sets) relatively cheaply. Cardiovascular you can walk, run, swim, or cycle.
Old 17th January 2015, 22:55

Mood
Balanced

Gym is quieter at weekends, especially Fri-Sun evenings, I prefer to go then as I feel more comfortable, but as others have said above, everyone else is so busy doing their own thing they don't notice our self-consciousness

Good luck with it x
Old 18th January 2015, 06:54

Mood
Balanced

I have a collogue who joined a gym a few years back and she chose a gym that is located between her home and place of work that way she can drop in either before or after work with no excuses.
Old 18th January 2015, 21:05

Mood
Lurking

If i can go to the gym, anyone can. Supermarkets/coffee shops/busy streets are more of a challenge to me than the gym. I also thought there would be no way i could ever join a gym but now i go and don't give it a second thought. I go just after 9am weekdays when i know it's at it's quietest. Honestly, people don't bother with you as they're too busy doing their own thing. I wear my iPod and just don't look at anyone, i just get on with what i'm doing. My friend was a member before me so i went the first time with her and she showed me how to use some of the equipment. The changing rooms are probably the most daunting thing about it all, but i'm just in and out as quick as i can. I shower when i get to work/home and wear my gym clothes going so that i don't have to get changed infront of anyone (have done though and again, nobody bothers with you). There's often a bit with benches and lockers outside the main gym so that you don't actually have to go into the changing room and i use that quite often. If you don't know anyone, book a slot with a member of staff/trainer who will take you round the gym and show you how to use stuff. Honestly, nobody bothers with you - it's the place that i feel least self-conscious in, and i'm no fittie i can assure you. There are pensioners there and people of all shapes and sizes. Give it a try at least, but go weekdays between 9 - 11am if you can as that's when most gyms are quieter. I went once after work at 6pm and never again, too busy! Good luck.
Old 18th January 2015, 23:35

Mood
Crappy

If you have the money try starting off with a personal trainer. They can show you what to do and help set goals. That way you will feel less self conscious about looking like a fool and doing things wrong, even though 99% of people won't be looking at you anyway.
Old 19th January 2015, 02:00

Mood
Crappy

I start the gym again on Thursday.Can't wait.
Old 19th January 2015, 02:26
Banned

Mood
Scared

@lone ranger

Sounds similar to my situ. I'm exercising at home. I've been to the gym once in a month. Monday is exercise day and i'm forcing myself to the gym tomorrow. I don't want to go but its a case of forcing myself to do things I don't feel like doing. It would be great to have a gym buddy, alas :/. I think everyone can see that i'm anxious, uncomfortable. In truth when I do go, its never that bad but with my anxiety I never know when i'll be caught off guard.

I'm going to make an effort and hit the gym 3 times this week. Starting tomorrow.
Old 19th January 2015, 10:16

I want to start the gym for multiple reasons and have wanted to start up at one for a while. I feel the same OP, i cant bring myself to take a trip there atm. It is something i need to just do! This year
Old 19th January 2015, 11:28

Mood
Happy

go to the gym because most people there are only there for about an hour,you go in do some warm ups like running machine then when you see the weights are free go on them,(gyms have more than one of each equipment) then go, shower at home that's what most people do.
The first few times will be a bit scary and awkward but them you'll wonder what all the worry was for.
let us know how you get on?
also when you first go you can ask some one who works there when is the quietest time there.
Old 19th January 2015, 13:17

Mood
Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by les
I have a collogue who joined a gym a few years back and she chose a gym that is located between her home and place of work that way she can drop in either before or after work with no excuses.
I did exactly the same 4 years ago and have never looked back - its great and has made a big difference to my confidence.

There was little danger of meeting anyone I know as my workplace has an on-site gym so all my colleagues go to that one. This was a big factor in my choosing the one I did.

I also thought I'd prefer doing my own thing at the gym but they encourage participation in sessions with a trainer, in small groups. Much to my surprise I enjoy this and am tentatively getting to know some of the other people there.

Be brave!
Old 19th January 2015, 15:56

Mood
Fine

I go everyday its the only thing that keeps me going! Has improved my mood and also made me feel a bit more confident when i am there, can also let all of my stress out each day in every 1 hour workout!
Old 21st January 2015, 12:28

Mood
Worried

I went for a few months when I was younger, as my friend had started going and wanted someone to tag along. I didn't enjoy it - I found it very boring.
Old 21st January 2015, 12:51

Mood
Torn

Thanks for all the advice.
I've been looking and found one near me.
They also have personal trainers.
I'm planning on going to check it out next week when I get some time off work. Hopefully I'll have courage enough to just jump in.
Old 27th January 2015, 01:42

Exercise in general is good for a lot of things,even if you start walking for a bit and then possibly build your confidence to maybe go for a jog

I am also in tho same situation as you and keep on thinking about the gym the way I see it is most people would not even give you a second glance,everyone is there for a couple of reasons to lose weight,get fit or not get fat. They are usually in their own little world and do not have time to be bothered about you, hope you manage to join the gym! I walk a bit morn than I used to and a few pieces of gym equipment at home, I am thinking of joining the gym in march.

If you are worried about seeing someone you here are some tips

Maybe go to a gym slightly further away a car ride away
Go on the afternoon when it is quieter